Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2008
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Are there regional differences in the used boat market?
There are indeed. They are quite pronounced and obvious to even the most ill-informed layman.

The old adage "the cream rises to the top" sums the situation up nicely. Here on Lake Ontario, we are at the 43rd parallel. Very much on top of most of the world, and definitely on top of the United States of Despairica.

You will find the best boats here. Each of these fresh-water indulgences represents the culmination of all that is right and holy in yacht design, executed with a purity of line and purpose seldom found on this sordid globe of ours.

Without exception, they have been lovingly cared for, sailed only in the fairest of weather and buffed, waxed, wrapped up and carefully tucked away each winter.

Somewhat south and to the east and the west we find the boats of Maine, Massachusetts, Washington state and British Columbia. Undeniably great boating areas all with centuries of maritime history behind them, their craft are beautiful yet suffer greatly from one common factor - a saltwater environment.

So, while the boats are good and the maintenance is conscientious, they are fighting a losing battle against the corrosive minerals in the salt water, and much as their women do, the boats age prematurely. The occasional exception to this may be found in the case of a wooden boat, where the salt water has the efffect of "pickling" the wood, therby preserving it somewhat. Unfortunately, the women do not pickle successfully - no matter how much wood is used .

Further south - Annapolis, Chesapeake, Oregon, Baltimore, Charleston et al. - the quality declines rapidly. In this area the boats, along with the citizenry are frequently of ill-defined and suspect lineage. There is much intermingling and sharing of stanchions, hulls, masts, stuffing boxes and wives, to the point where it is difficult to tell which craft is the product of which clan of builders.

Also, the boats, much like the children in the area, are subject to long, painful hours of overexposure to ultra-violet radiation hence prone to the accelerated deterioration and mutation associated with that hazard.

Again, these are boats that spend their lives in salt water of questionable provenance or purity. They are by and large owned by Republicans, a unique life form to date unknown outside the lower contiguous 10 "states". Republicanism, a zealotry which typically manifests itself as an expression of regressionist political thought, has the unfortunate side-effect of preventing its adherents from seeing things clearly or accurately.

As can be imagined, this makes for less than ideal yacht maintenance. While the Republican may be ready, willing and able to tackle whatever job might need to be done, their myopic creed prevents them from noticing the decay around them. Hulls go unpainted, leaks magnify, and things just generally go from tolerable to unbelievable. While a normal person may be able to look two feet ahead and spot numerous areas of concern in 5 minutes, your garden variety Republican is just not able to focus that far for that long.

So - you'd do well to head north to buy your boat.

Hope this helps. Good Luck

Last edited by Sailormann; 05-10-2008 at 01:46 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-10-2008
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
Listen to Sailormann, he speaks the truth. He is wise beyond his years, if thats possible given his age. I purchased one of these fine yachts from above, but it has gotten the best of me and proven me the lesser man. Now it is for sale.

Vaya con Dios
Old 05-10-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestfriend View Post
Listen to Sailormann, he speaks the truth. He is wise beyond his years, if thats possible given his age. I purchased one of these fine yachts from above, but it has gotten the best of me and proven me the lesser man. Now it is for sale.
You are not a republican or you are? Maybe you bought from a republican but are independent but the boat itself relies on democratic principles - meaning that it will say it is broke and needing attention but only when an audience is wanting to hear that.. None the less it doesn't make you the lessor man - just means your boat was more of a woman than you could handle!! Besides we all know you do not actually want to sell that beauty!

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 05-10-2008

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
It appears that folks here see the market much like as I do as one currently shopping for their next boat. As ususal, if you read the financial pundits, half say we'll just have a short down turn, and half say it will be longer and deeper than expected, but there is no argument we are in a slow down. That probably bouys the hopes of sellers, while it weighs on the minds of buyers like myself.

That said, used boat prices generally go one way and there is ample evidence that consumers are snapping their wallets shut at least for the time being. Unfortunately, if you need to sell in that environment the buyer holds the cards. Rejecting offers through the sailing season will cost you in storage and insurance fees and the boat gets another model year older. I can understand a seller deciding to be happy with what they have and taking the boat off the market, but I can't understand the many, many owners who let their boats sit through a sailing season (or more) and never seem to consider that they will have to drop the price to sell the boat.
Old 05-10-2008
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by artbyjody View Post
Besides we all know you do not actually want to sell that beauty!
Got that right! Surprisingly, I don't have a come back for the rest.

Vaya con Dios
Old 05-10-2008
Hitchin' a ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestfriend View Post
Got that right! Surprisingly, I don't have a come back for the rest.
MLS- I agree about not letting the boat sit. I have a four month contract at the sales dock. If she doesn't sell, I will put her back in a slip in a nearby marina and sail, sail, sail. They can keep her on YW, but I want to use her!

Vaya con Dios
Old 05-17-2008
Partially hydrated Member

sanjuan2R is on a distinguished road
If an owner is NOT going to sell their boat, why not clean it out to lease it to a local yacht club and make some money$ to pay the slip fees? At least someone will get some good out the ownership and the boat systems will be taken care of in the long run. If the sailors in that yacht club realize their training boat is for sale - they could become a potential customer...
Old 05-17-2008
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Quote:
why not clean it out to lease it to a local yacht club and make some money$ to pay the slip fees?
I could understand someone doing that with their wife, but their boat ???? Boats are sacred !
Old 05-18-2008

petmac is on a distinguished road
Best Boats

Quote by Sailormann above : "You will find the best boats here" . With all due respect I have to disagree with you. Best used boats are in Maine. Yes they are in a salt water environment but the level of maintenance is much higher. There are many excellent boatyards along the coast. Maine=Boats.
Old 05-18-2008

Schuckerman is on a distinguished road
The reason the northern boats MAY be in better shape is because you use them a whole 3 months out of the year then wrap them and store them away. But us poor unfortunate souls down here in saltwater filled Florida use our boats all year round while you folks sit around a fire and dream about us