Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
BITE ME!!!

As my portagee friend would say: BASTARDO SUJO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuckerman View Post
The reason the northern boats MAY be in better shape is because you use them a whole 3 months out of the year then wrap them and store them away. But us poor unfortunate souls down here in saltwater filled Florida use our boats all year round while you folks sit around a fire and dream about us

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-18-2008

Insails is on a distinguished road
When you are born and raised in the south you are told all your life by northerners how much better everything they have is and how stupid we are...Then they all move south because they ruined the north and want to change us to what they ruined ....go figure..
Old 05-18-2008

TAK is on a distinguished road
With fuel prices crossing $4.50 a gallon, I am glad I own a sailboat and not a powerboat like the 50 foot Searay down the dock from me that burns 34 gallons an hour... I suspect that the sailboat market will see a bit of boost from high fuel costs and people opting for sail over power. That said, right now it may be a buyers market for the average boat but good boats well maintained will always sell for a premium.
Caliber #4065

ACM - Eastport MD
Old 05-18-2008

Gramp34 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAK View Post
I suspect that the sailboat market will see a bit of boost from high fuel costs and people opting for sail over power.
It's happened before. Look at all the 1970s sailboats still around from the boom after the 73 oil embargo. Even Bayliner got into sailboats:
"Beginning in 1974, the firm also built sailboats. Yes. Sailboats. "It was after the oil embargo drove up the cost of fuel. Our competitors called them the 'tilted Hilton,' grins Edson. "It was called the 'Buccaneer,' a roomy 24-foot sailboat. We made several models and it sold well through our powerboat dealers."
In fact, the price of fuel was such a motivating factor that people actually paid good money for Bayliner Buccaneers!

Old 02-21-2009

zmountainman is on a distinguished road
I would like to reopen this thread. Times have changed a lot since last May and the economy worse that most of us suspected. Fortunately for us, we are in a good cash position and are expecting things to continue down until the end of 09. I would appreciate input as to what is happening with the market in different areas. We wil be purchasing a 3 cabin in the 47 -50 range that is rigged (or mostly rigged) for blue water. We think we should find something great in the $225K range.
Old 02-21-2009

Elzaar is on a distinguished road
Z -

I'm with you on re-opening the thread. It'd be kind of interesting especially given the ability to compare it to last year's beliefs.

I'm no boat market expert, but my observations here in Seattle is that prices have come down a bit, but not much. On the otherhand, our housing market has only recently begun to slip and the forecasts are it will not get anywhere near as bad as most places have gotten. The past few months have seen the beginning of big layoffs for us and boat prices will likely start to drop a bit as a result.

I have been watching boat prices on YW for the past 18 months or so primarily in the PNW, West Coast, and Great Lakes regions with occassional checks of Mexico and Carib. My completely anecdotal interpretation would be that listing prices on the types of boats I am interested in (less than $110K capable of bluewater) have dropped at least 10%, probably closer to 20%, over the past 18 months with an obvious jolt about six months ago (not including PNW). Some boats have held their higher listing price, but most of those haven't moved. It appears that many of the boats that do sell either sell quickly (very rare and probably well priced to begin with for their quality) or drop their price by at least 20% and sometimes then sell within a few weeks of that.

It would be good to get some input from people more associated directly with the market to see what is really happening. I completely understand folks that don't want to sell their boat for less than they feel it's worth. OTOH I would like to go back and sell my house 18 months ago and it'd help if I could go back and sell my mutual funds about then, too, but I can't - and ultimately that is what decides whether I buy a boat and what I can pay for it. Unfortunately, owning a boat and sailing away is a luxury and as such it will nearly always get axed before basic living requirements like food and shelter.

So, my opinion anyway, boat prices can't help but trend downward as people who have to sell their boat are forced to do so and as lenders begin to flood the market with boats they have repossessed and now want to sell to cover what they have into them. I'm blessed to have a recession-proof job, but most folks right now are struggling to hold onto just what they've got. Other folks who are unfortunately forced to sell in that market will more often than not have to lower their price to be competitive. Just like my stocks, if you don't need to sell right now, you probably shouldn't. Then again, a year from now, I may wish that I had.

Just my opinion.
Old 02-21-2009

zmountainman is on a distinguished road
Thanks for your feedback.
My observations are similar but think that the used yachts on the west coast tend to be about 10-15% higher than elsewhere in the US. Since I am in the Middle East now, I am watching the Med market as well but it seems to be holding its own better and appears higher than the east coast/Caribbean market.
Old 02-21-2009
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
According to a broker I know here in NC, sail is selling, power is dead except for trawlers.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 02-21-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I think one of the reasons sail is doing better than power is the cost of fuel the last two seasons really was a rude awakening for many boaters. Right now, it is basically a buyer's market more than it has been for a long time. Many people are selling due to a change in their financial situation and need to sell, rather than selling in order to upgrade. This puts an undue pressure on them to sell the boat, even if they have to accept less money than they’d like for it.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-22-2009
Junior Mumbler

Trimmer is on a distinguished road
I thought about selling my US 25, but $5000 would only get me through one month. That's not a very good trade in my book. Work's slow, but the boat's the last to go! Let's say that again in unison! Sailing is the only meds I need. Doh and beer.

"It's nice to be nice to the nice" Frank Burns