Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2009
Master & Commander

BoxedUp is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormann View Post
So, while the boats are good and the maintenance is conscientious, they are fighting a losing battle against the corrosive minerals in the salt water, and much as their women do, the boats age prematurely.
You're not married, are you?

Quote:
Unfortunately, the women do not pickle successfully - no matter how much wood is used .
Try potent potables, I hear it works well...

Quote:
They are by and large owned by Republicans, a unique life form to date unknown outside the lower contiguous 10 "states". Republicanism, a zealotry which typically manifests itself as an expression of regressionist political thought, has the unfortunate side-effect of preventing its adherents from seeing things clearly or accurately.

As can be imagined, this makes for less than ideal yacht maintenance. While the Republican may be ready, willing and able to tackle whatever job might need to be done, their myopic creed prevents them from noticing the decay around them. Hulls go unpainted, leaks magnify, and things just generally go from tolerable to unbelievable. While a normal person may be able to look two feet ahead and spot numerous areas of concern in 5 minutes, your garden variety Republican is just not able to focus that far for that long.
What are you doing with all your free time now that "W" is not POTUS?

Seriously, love your writing and rationale!
Old 02-24-2009

JohnnyGybe is on a distinguished road
I've been looking at boats here in the Northwest for 3 years.

The big reason for price difference between the PNW and the SE is that all those boats you see listed in Florida and Texas that are priced lower than the west coast variety have taken a beating from sun, hi temps and humidity.
The boats you find of similar vintage on the west coast tend to be in better shape over all.
A VREY general observation but valid in specific applications.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-23-2009

zmountainman is on a distinguished road
still watching the market

Its been awhile since any postings occurred on this topic.
We have found that the Island Packets, Tayana, and Morgans in the 37 to 42 foot range of 1990 vintage have dropped quite a bit esp in the gulf and east coast. I recently visited Vancouver and they remain very proud of their yachts...about 20% higher boat for boat.

Deflation may be bad overall but its good for those of us making a big buy.

We are going to do a lot of traveling to look at boats in the new year and make the jump around 1March.

Cheers.
RD
Old 08-23-2009

rugila is on a distinguished road
A couple of years ago I was interested in prices of sailboats between 37í and 40í made between 1980 to 2002, and particularly in what cost what, and where.

First thought (naturally enough??) was to consider buying locally, but then - given the large amount of info on the internet - the whole world beckoned. I rather liked the idea of sailing anything suitable from anywhere to anywhere.

So I downloaded details on about 2000 yachts from yachtworld.com and did a statistical analysis (factorial regression with about 120 parameters if anyone interested) to try to evaluate the effects of location (East USA, BVI, Spain, Croatia etc) and of boat design/make (Shannon, Najad, Beneteau, Hunter, Moody etc) on brokersí yachtworld asking prices. Also took account of length and age of boat.

Results I guess were interesting enough. The bigger and newer boats obviously had higher asking prices. The models with highest asking prices out of those I considered were Hallberg-Rassy, Nauticat and Najad. Lowest asking prices for Bavaria, Roberts and Elan. About 40 other models in between these.

Average price all for boats on the download list was $150,000US. Average for Hallberg-Rassy was $280,000 and for Bavaria $80,000. Most expensive areas were Germany, Sweden and Australia/NZ. Cheapest were Caribbean and eastern Med. viz. the main charter areas.

Other effects on asking prices not taken account of by this are tax, boat maintenance and equipment etc. Personally Iíd rather use my own judgment to assess these rather than statistical analysis.

Addressing what seem to be major points of this thread, I reckon that brokers seemed (at least in August 2007) to be asking an average of about $25,000 more for otherwise comparable boats in Canada than they did in the US. Also, it would be easy enough, although I havenít done it, to do a similar exercise today to see how or if Yachtworld asking prices have changed, up or down, over the past two years.

I tried posting a bit of this stuff (for general info) once before but SD didnít seem to like it very much. Better luck this time maybe?

Robin
Old 08-26-2009

anemoneii is on a distinguished road
Asking price have not come down much, but they are still selling most of the boats from 2007!

I bought a boat this year for half of the asking price on Yachtworld and the asking price was a bit lower than many similar boats.