Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2008
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilenart View Post
Hartley18,

below are the main details from The Observers Book of Sailing Craft (1979 edition) on the Compass 28:
Thanks, Ilenart - I'll see if I can track down a copy. Sounds like a very interesting read!
Old 05-13-2008

Ilenart is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley18 View Post
Thanks, Ilenart - I'll see if I can track down a copy. Sounds like a very interesting read!
Very handy book. There's one selling on ebay at the moment

1979 OBSERVER'S BOOK OF SAILING CRAFT OF AUSTRALIA & NZ - eBay Sailing, Yachting, Sports, Recreation, Non-Fiction, Books. (end time 18-May-08 14:52:43 AEST)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-19-2008
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Ilenart, thanks for the tip. In case you were wondering - I bought it!

It's not much more than a pocketbook, but it looks interesting and didn't cost much. Some fireside reading for the next few nights, dreaming of all the bigger yachts I could have...
Old 05-20-2008
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Cameron,
H28 and C28 totally different boats albeit based on the same design. To make it even more confusing there was both an Australian and a New Zealand Compass Yachts.

C28 began life as the Northerner 28 designed by (I think) a fellow by the name of Rob Lees and they were built apparently by John Duncanson of Duncanson Yachts fame. Fabulous little boats, I know, I owned one for donkey's years and spent many a weekend plus the occasional longer cruise on her. Wee bit cramped but I rebuilt the interior to suit myself and was as happy as I could be given that she was not the Tardis.

Duncanson and the designer apparently fell out and Compass Yachts came into being to build the C28 while Duncanson went on to built a slightly longer version known as the Duncanson 29. H28 is in the same class but heavier and more expensive, there is also the Clansman 30 which is very similar.

Positives were ease of handling under sail, a reasonably comfortable interior and nice cockpit big enough for lounging, indeed I often slept out there under the stars. Poor stowage space made up for to some extent by under cockpit quarter berth that I never slept in and the Volvo donk ran on the smell of an oily rag.

Negatives were limited space, lack of tankage (both fuel and water), not a whole lot of storage space and absolutely appalling behaviour in reverse under power. Overloaded for a cruise they have a tendency to squat down at the stern but that's no big deal really.

Mine had two setter berths rather than the dinette and I found this to be a far preferable arrangement. She also had an enclosed head with shower stall formed by closing off the space between the forward cabin and the saloon.

Good sea boats, mine won it's class in the Sydney - Montague Island race in the early seventies although I never raced her myself.

Mine has since cruised the NSW and QLD coasts , is now up in Moreton Bay and still going strong although that is more to the credit of the folk I sold her to than me.

Depending on what you want to use the thing for they, and their cousins are highly recommended but if you want something for longish term cruising my feeling is they are a bit cramped inside.

Any questions, let me know. Happy to answer any and all.

ps - the C29 was a slightly larger version that Compass hoped would extend the life of the design but the word is that they were nowhere near the same build quality and suffered badly from the dreaded pox. That is what I have been told, it is not gospel however.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Last edited by tdw; 05-20-2008 at 02:09 AM.
Old 05-20-2008
Once known as Hartley18

Thanks, TD.

Duncanson... That makes sense. All his boats were pretty much the same - good looking sea boats with no storage space!

I'm glad to hear you had a good time on one and that they're not particualrly slow. Anything practical for sailing around Melbourne needs to be able to handle short chop and lousy weather, so if it'll do the Montague Island race, that's the kind of thing I'm after.

Lack of reverse can be dealt with, but the lack of storage might annoy the First Mate. We're hiring a Catalina 28 over the Queen's Birthday long weekend (a lot more space and in a higher $$$ bracket) so I'll see how she copes on that before deciding on the next move.
Old 05-20-2008

Ilenart is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Ilenart, thanks for the tip. In case you were wondering - I bought it!

It's not much more than a pocketbook, but it looks interesting and didn't cost much. Some fireside reading for the next few nights, dreaming of all the bigger yachts I could have...
No worries, I've had mine for years, which I also picked up 2nd hand.

It's funny but I just realised it does'nt include Hartley 18's Ah well.
Old 05-20-2008
Once known as Hartley18

Quote:

It's got the TS16's in there though, so that's okay..

Although it's a pity that, like some sales brochure, it only lists boats good points - not the bad ones - it even mentions Impulse dinghies! No international listing of boats I've ever seen before includes Impulse dinghies... so it must be a pretty comprehensive book!
Old 05-20-2008
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Thanks, TD.

Duncanson... That makes sense. All his boats were pretty much the same - good looking sea boats with no storage space!

I'm glad to hear you had a good time on one and that they're not particualrly slow. Anything practical for sailing around Melbourne needs to be able to handle short chop and lousy weather, so if it'll do the Montague Island race, that's the kind of thing I'm after.

Lack of reverse can be dealt with, but the lack of storage might annoy the First Mate. We're hiring a Catalina 28 over the Queen's Birthday long weekend (a lot more space and in a higher $$$ bracket) so I'll see how she copes on that before deciding on the next move.
Well all you need to do is convince your better half that you do need the storage space and buy yourself a Catalina.

OTOH I know where you can pick up a good steel Van De Stadt 34 with lost of stowage space and less money than a Catalina.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 05-20-2008
Once known as Hartley18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Well all you need to do is convince your better half that you do need the storage space and buy yourself a Catalina.

OTOH I know where you can pick up a good steel Van De Stadt 34 with lost of stowage space and less money than a Catalina.
Thanks, TD - believe me, I can't afford a Catalina, but don't get your hopes up just yet.

Even if she-who-must-be-obeyed says yes, living in congested Smellbourne, it's gonna take 2 years for me to find a place to park it - and methinks you don't want to wait that long!!

...but I've already applied for a mooring.

Last edited by Classic30; 05-20-2008 at 10:58 PM.
Old 05-21-2008
Once known as Hartley18

Quote:

Finally got to reading it last night and, although the focus is on the TS16's (there are more of them in both countries), yes, the 18's get a tiny mention along with a nice write-up of the impact his radical design has had:

"The boom in trailer yachts, brought on partly by an acute shortage of moorings and marine berths, started with the most famous of all New Zealand's do-it-youseld designers, Richard Hartley, whose ..16 ft, ..18ft and ..21ft trailer yachts featring hard-chine construction, and aimed directly at the home boatbuilder, still sell in significant numbers despite having been long out-dated by other stock fibreglass designs.

Hartley, the mystery man of New Zealand design (he refuses to be photographed or to appear in public), has put more people on the water in trailer yachts than any other Kiwi designer, building a world-wide market for his plans in the process."
pg 194-195

I think that speaks volumes for both the design and the designer.

One design that is notable by it's total absence from the book anything at all from the stable of Van De Stadt.