Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2008

Ilenart is on a distinguished road
fancy that, post number 100
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-26-2008
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilenart View Post
fancy that, post number 100
Well done!!

I've learnt at bit from you already and you obviously have a lot to add to this forum - keep up the good work!!
Old 05-27-2008
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley18 View Post
TD, without meaning to break your chain of thought..

Our Hartley is a pig to manouever going astern, to which I've always blamed the outboard, but I'm starting to think that the substantial full-length "keel" could be at least partly to blame.

Is there much difference in reversing manouverability between a full-keeler and a cutaway-forefoot? Or is reversing always an issue until you get to a fin??

.. and I'd love to know if a winged keel makes any difference to docking ability, but I guess I'll find out for myself in a couple of weeks.
Cameron,
Better minds than mine could give you a more technically correct answer but as far as I'm aware it's all to do with waterflow over the rudder. A fin with no skeg has clear flow from prop to rudder so they will steer in reverse. Full keel has seriously disturbed flow so will be a pig, fin and skeg neither fish nor fowl. I've found that fin and skeg will steer in reverse if you are brave, meaning if you give it a bit of stick they will behave but I do add that it takes a brave soul to reverse a 40'er into a confined space at 2000rpm. I am as bold as a lion in the middle of a calm bay practicing my reversing but seem to be more small rodentish when surrounded by a few hundred thousand dollars worth of other people's plastic.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook