SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Compass 28 (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/42994-compass-28-a.html)

Classic30 05-08-2008 11:26 PM

Compass 28

Folks here have any opinions on the Compass 28??

(In general - not this specific one!) :)

Faster 05-09-2008 01:01 PM

She looks somewhat reminiscent of the oft-recommended Alberg 30. Looks to be a sea-kindly boat, the cockpit is smaller than the A30 so theoretically you'll have a bit more space below.

She'll probably have all the typical issues of a full keel cruiser, notably the difficulty of controlling the boat in close quarters, esp in reverse....

A very different beast from dear old Hartley....

Classic30 05-11-2008 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faster (Post 311872)
She looks somewhat reminiscent of the oft-recommended Alberg 30. Looks to be a sea-kindly boat, the cockpit is smaller than the A30 so theoretically you'll have a bit more space below.

She'll probably have all the typical issues of a full keel cruiser, notably the difficulty of controlling the boat in close quarters, esp in reverse....

A very different beast from dear old Hartley....

Hmm... Thanks, Ron. :)

I found this Alberg 30 and it's in the right price range, although this specimen doesn't look too great.

I'll keep looking. I'd love to find a traditional (ie wood!) cutter somewhere in the 25'-30' range for sale here in Oz that was designed and built by someone who knew what he was doing.

I know they exist - I missed getting an old 6-metre years back (before I got married) because it seemed too much trouble at the time - but then, boats always are! :D

sailingdog 05-11-2008 09:02 PM

Why do you want a wooden boat...Have you decided to give up sailing and go into boat maintenance as a hobby???

Classic30 05-11-2008 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailingdog (Post 312841)
Why do you want a wooden boat...Have you decided to give up sailing and go into boat maintenance as a hobby???

Good point - and the main reason I didn't get the 6-metre at the time - but I push that nasty reality to the back of my mind as often as possible... :o

The Compass 28 & Alberg 30 are GRP but a "not-modern" (using the term extremely loosely) supposedly sea-kindly design - but I know nothing about them or their true ability... hence the post. :)

chris_gee 05-12-2008 12:16 AM

I think you may find that it is actually a Herreshoff H28. I think it is actually 29'.5.
Compass Yachts built hundreds up till 1984.
I have had a Compass boat and they were strongly built.
They the H28 have a reputation as sea kindly capable of offshore, a bit slow and tend to make more leeway with the less draft. I know of someone who did a round the world solo in one.
I very much doubt that Compass were building to 28' in the 80s so this is probably it.
You will find useful general info on Compass Yachts

Classic30 05-12-2008 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris_gee (Post 312955)
I think you may find that it is actually a Herreshoff H28. I think it is actually 29'.5.
Compass Yachts built hundreds up till 1984.
I have had a Compass boat and they were strongly built.
They the H28 have a reputation as sea kindly capable of offshore, a bit slow and tend to make more leeway with the less draft. I know of someone who did a round the world solo in one.
I very much doubt that Compass were building to 28' in the 80s so this is probably it.
You will find useful general info on Compass Yachts

Thanks, Chris! Doesn't seem to be the same boat though - although the lines are much the same, on the one I was thinking of, the rudder doesn't hang off the stern and that would require a pretty radical departure from the H28 design.

There's a few better photos here:
Boats for Sale - Yachts for Sale - Used & New Boats @ The Yacht Hub

Perhaps there's a couple of variants... Interesting. :)

chris_gee 05-12-2008 02:33 AM

Ok thats odd maybe there were two compass yachts or maybe they tarted it up towards the end changing the rudder as it is still full keeled. I am sure the H28 association would be able to assist you. They have a loyal following and it is a respected boat for it's style. That is it won't win around the buoys but will take you anywhere safely.

Ilenart 05-12-2008 06:08 AM

Hartley18,

below are the main details from The Observers Book of Sailing Craft (1979 edition) on the Compass 28:

LOA 8.58m (28ft 2")
Beam 2.48m (8ft 2")
Draft 1.29m (4ft 3")

The Compass 28 is a proven, all purpose design - large enough for comfortable ocean cruising and small enough for family day sailing, easy to handle.... Nearly 400 of these yachts can be found throughout Australia and the South Pacific....Produced by Compass yachts.

Reading the H28 writeup it sounds like a totally different yacht
LOA 8.8m (29ft)
Beam 2.79m (9ft 2")
Draft 1.2m (4ft)

Just to confuse the issue there is also a Compass 29 which is a stretched version of the Compass 28.
LOA 8.77m (28ft 10")
Beam 2.77m (9ft 2")
Draft 1.29m (4ft 3")

From memory the (Australian) Cruising Helmsmen had a few articles of a couple that sailed from SA to WA then to South Africa in either a Compass 28 or 29. I'll have a dig around & see if I can find the article.

Ilenart

chris_gee 05-12-2008 06:06 PM

Evidently there were two Compass yacht companies, one in Australia and one in NZ which worked in collaboration. Of the two boats the 29 sounds closer to the H28 given that there were thousands built by many companies most with tweaks to the design. The foot difference in beam of the Compass 28 seems a major difference though.