Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2002

JVSB-17 is on a distinguished road
Barnegat 17 Sloop - Any Info?

Recently purchased a 1966 Siddons and Sindle Barnegat 17 sloop. Does anyone have any info, manuals, etc. on this daysailor? There''s limited info on the web - just a listing in the Portsmouth ratings and a brief mention on the Jet 14 owner''s pages -nothing else. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-17-2002

KenD is on a distinguished road

Just out of curiuosly is the boat made of cedar if is is I used to own one about 25 years ago it was supposed to be gaff rigged but the former owner converted to sloop with a jib and spinnaker and a dagger board instead of the swing centerboard the boat was steady as a rock in 20 30 knts and you could heel with the gunnals in the water and hold it there with two fingers on the tiller. the Info I got back then was that they were used for duck hunting and running booze in the prohibition days good luck in your search I know I wasn''t much help
Old 06-18-2002

JVSB-17 is on a distinguished road

I think the boat you had was something called a Barnegat Sneakbox. They were definitely used for duck hunting. Mine is a sloop-rigged fiberglass daysailer. I have the original mast, sails and rigging.
Old 04-19-2007

JerseyShore is on a distinguished road
Barnegat 17

There's one for sale around the corner from me, I'm trying to find out about the boat too for a friend who's considering buying it. I'll share what little I know. When I Googled "Barnegat-17", your post was the first entry, so that gives you some idea of how little info is out there!

It's a small daysailer / racer, designed and built by Siddons and Sindle in the mid 60s. My drive-by tells me it's a small, mostly open centerboarder, looks a lot like a smaller Flying Scot or Thistle. I'm presuming you know how to sail and something about boats, if not just get some books on dinghy sailing, there are a zillion designs similar to this that all sail similarly-- Snipe, Lightning, Flying Scot. It sounds like only a small number of these boats were built, and a long time ago at that, so finding stock replacement parts is unlikely, but it will be easy to find standard sail hardware that will work fine.

I did see that Howard V Siddons himself recently joined the Island Heights Yacht Club, you might be able to get something from him personally.
Yacht Club

BTW, Barnegat sneakboxes are something altogether different, small row / power boats for duck hunting. Lots of boats have appeared around the Barnegat Bay, a hotbed for all sorts of boating activity for centuries, and numerous styles of boats, as well as specific designs, wound up with the word "Barnegat" in them. The Barnegat 17 is one specific design of boat, each one has identical hulls from the same mold and the same rig.

Let us know what you find out, would be interested.
Old 01-06-2008

roderickm3 is on a distinguished road
hH I had a Barnagat Sloop years ago a great little boat mine was 21 ft... Anyhow I may direct you to books on working boats by a guy last name Snow I used to get them up at a library in Maine . You may be able to find some near you.....I believe the history of the barnagat sloop is in there .... I think it was on The East Coast New jersy,Deleware ????? But it was a working boat I think in The bird hunting trade Best of luck in the future..Rod
Old 01-06-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Guys-

Are you aware that you're replying to a thread that was started FIVE years ago, and was dead for eight months... until you came along...

Please read this post.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-06-2008

ceol is on a distinguished road
Sorry, but i find any information about old boats fascinating. I think the added posts to this old thread could come in handy to anybody doing searches for this vessel. Just because a thread is old does not mean more information could not be added that is useful to somebody down the road. Is this not what these communities are for?

Having posts like this show up from time to time show that people are using the search function to find information instead of just posting blindly, which i am sure is more tiresome to most than getting a history lesson about an old vessel. Just ignore the post instead of taking the thread off topic.

Doing a search on Sailnet on this boat reveals only this thread directly relating to this boat. I would think that you would prefer to have any information about a specific boat contained nicely in one thread rather than several fragmented threads.

G~

P.S.- I tried to find a forum in which to voice my opinions about posting relevant information to old threads outside of this thread, but felt that this would be off topic in the closest forum i could find: Technical Support forum.
Old 03-28-2011

lynnlover is on a distinguished road
Harry Sindle

I bought a used Gloucester 18 (Buccaneer 18) from Gloucester Yachts on the Ware River, VA in 1985. The boats was sailed to the Buccaneer 18 national championship by Harry Sindle. Harry was also an Olympic sailor and grew up on the Barnegat Bay (and I think attended Rutgers University). You might try to contact him if he's still alive for information on boats I think his family manufactured in New Jersey.

Google this: Buccaneer Class honors Harry Sindle
-JB