Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2008

pdxsailor is on a distinguished road
boats for tall folks?

hey everyone. been out of the loop for some time now. still wanting to buy a boat, but kind of putting it on hold as i decided to go back to get my masters degree and wait until my old dog isn't with me anymore. however, i am still looking in case i find a deal that can't be passed up.

the problem is that every boat i look at is too short inside for me. i'm 6'3" and most boats, i find, are 6'-6'2" at best. i'm definitely interested in older boats that are in good condition, but not perfect, hmmm...something from the late 60's to mid 70's would be preferable. does anyone have any recommendations for older boats that have more than 6'3" headroom?

i'd also like something that is suitable to liveaboard and has offshore capability. i won't get more specific than that for the moment.

regarding length of boat: i would like to stay somewhere between 35-40' [approximately].

thanks

Last edited by pdxsailor; 05-12-2008 at 09:00 PM. Reason: added some details
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-12-2008
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
Check out the CSY, there's a few 37s and 44s on YachtWorld. 6'6" headroom & bunks. They're a bit newer than you mentioned, 1979-1981, but may work if you're looking for heavy/sturdy/slow bluewater boat.
Old 05-12-2008

DrB will become famous soon enough
Without knowing more...

like budget, length etc., answering your question will be tough. Bigger boats will have more headroom in general. Thant being said, an older Hinkley will never be big enough for you.

Also, don't rely on specs along for headroom. They are taken at who knows locations. I am 6' 6" and fit into my Pearson 10M (1979) which supposedly has a 6' 2" headroom. Only until I get to the head (forward) and the v-berth, do I have to duck. Main cabin I have about 1/2 inch clearance.

I have been in Bristol 29.9 that almost works even though it is supposedly 6' 2". I have been in a Bristol 32 and 35 and I felt like Gandalf going into a Bilbo Baggins hobbit hole. Best thing is to go some boats that fit your other criteria.

Catalina's typically have more headroom for the low 30's sized boats compared to others.

DrB.
Old 05-12-2008

ccollins0601 is on a distinguished road
I have a 1973 O'Day 27. I'm 6'4" and it has quite adequate headroom for me for a boat its size. I can stand in most parts of the cabin up to the v-berth while only needing to tilt my head just a bit. The 27 would probably not meet your requirements for liveaboard/offshore, but it may be worth looking at some of the larger O'Days.
Old 05-12-2008
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
According to someone who posted on a previous thread dealing with a somewhat different subject.... Fibreglass Will Stretch. So, if I were you, I'd look around for a boat I like and not worry too much about the headroom right now. Then I would tighten the bejesus out of the standing rigging and leave it like that in storage while I finished grad school. By the time I was ready to go, it should have stretched the topsides enough to fit me nicely. Keelstepped mast would be important here.

Good Luck. Hope this helps....
Old 05-13-2008
Sailor

Plumper is on a distinguished road
Wasn't it Hereshoff who said, "If you want to stand up go outside." I am 6'6" and I couldn't stand up in destroyers, any yacht with that kind of headroom is going to look funny. To me the most important thing is the length of the bunks.
Is bound in shallows and in miseries.
Shakespeare, Julius Caesar IV, iii, 217
Old 05-14-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by eryka View Post
Check out the CSY, there's a few 37s and 44s on YachtWorld. 6'6" headroom & bunks. They're a bit newer than you mentioned, 1979-1981, but may work if you're looking for heavy/sturdy/slow bluewater boat.

thanks for the info. hadn't looked at these boats before. not so sure i want shoal draft though. i'd prefer cut away full keel.
Old 05-14-2008

a good point...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrB View Post
like budget, length etc., answering your question will be tough. Bigger boats will have more headroom in general. Thant being said, an older Hinkley will never be big enough for you.

Also, don't rely on specs along for headroom. They are taken at who knows locations. I am 6' 6" and fit into my Pearson 10M (1979) which supposedly has a 6' 2" headroom. Only until I get to the head (forward) and the v-berth, do I have to duck. Main cabin I have about 1/2 inch clearance.

I have been in Bristol 29.9 that almost works even though it is supposedly 6' 2". I have been in a Bristol 32 and 35 and I felt like Gandalf going into a Bilbo Baggins hobbit hole. Best thing is to go some boats that fit your other criteria.

Catalina's typically have more headroom for the low 30's sized boats compared to others.

DrB.

i think you are most likely correct on this. it's strange though that people don't list interior height more often in their listings.
Old 05-14-2008

hhmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormann View Post
According to someone who posted on a previous thread dealing with a somewhat different subject.... Fibreglass Will Stretch. So, if I were you, I'd look around for a boat I like and not worry too much about the headroom right now. Then I would tighten the bejesus out of the standing rigging and leave it like that in storage while I finished grad school. By the time I was ready to go, it should have stretched the topsides enough to fit me nicely. Keelstepped mast would be important here.

Good Luck. Hope this helps....
...something about this just doesn't sound right to me. i'm not sure i would want to put the boat under that type of stress. and i think i would just end up damaging the boat more than anything. thanks for the suggestion though.
Old 05-14-2008

saw this boat the other day for sale...

...it was a Downeast 32. says it has 6'6" headroom. anyone know much about these boats? price was low as it was a donated boat to a charity who are now selling it.

also, i found a link somewhere to a Freya 39. i am in love. so far as i can tell this boat has all the characteristics that i am looking for in a boat [but, i don't know about headroom yet]. i'm looking for more information on these boats as there seems to be almost nothing via google or yahoo. i know they came in wood, steel and fiberglass versions.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.