Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2008

kmahren is on a distinguished road
Bladder for second fuel tank?

Searching for a new boat, 36 to 40, under 100k, and finding some interesting ones' in that range. Except most of these boats have less than 40 gallon fuel tanks. That worries me. Knowing that unfortunately we spend much more time on the iron genny than we'd like, 35 gallons seems to be a constant worry about fuel on occasion.

What is the "consensus" on bladder tanks for fuel? Springing a leak would be catastophic inside your boat. Are these things prone to popping?

Thanks,

Ken

Last edited by kmahren; 05-14-2008 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Missing a coupla zeros in the price
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-14-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
They're pretty durable...but really need to be installed properly, with chafe protection and padding. IMHO, you'd be much better off installing a second hard tank, rather than a bladder. Hard tanks are much more durable.

BTW, don't even think of using a bladder if your boat is Gasoline powered.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-14-2008

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
I agree. And "iron genny" aside, most moderate-displacement 36 footers will cruise at 4-5 knots at 1,900 RPM with a 30 HP motor, and will use about 1.0-1.2 gallons/hour. That a DAY AND A HALF of continuous cruising or 150 nautical miles (all figures are conservative).

If you are doing daysails or coastal, you are unlikely to run out of fuel, and, of course, assuming this is a sailboat we are discussing, you can always sail.

It is simple to carry two 5 gallon diesel jugs lashed to the mast or the rail. This alone extends your range by 10 hours of running time.

I would suggest you not worry about an extra tank until you've got a couple of seasons with the new boat under your belt. I have trouble on my 33 footer using 11 gallons of gasoline for my Atomic 4 per season...because it's a sailboat.
Old 05-14-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
So...a 36' boat for $1K? I'd be worried about a lot more than buying a fuel bladder that is worth more than the boat! Hell...the winches or a working engine on such a boat would be worth more as salvage. I hope you have about $30-50k in the bank to make that $1k bargain ready for sea.
Old 05-14-2008

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
I think he forgot a couple of zeros.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 05-14-2008
Sailing Junkie

ehmanta is on a distinguished road
Kmahren,
If the boat is only 1k, what are the sails like???? Can't be good. I would get the primary means of propulsion(sails, rig) topnotch before worrying about extras. Like CAM said, I'd be a lot more worried about the Money you would have to spend on it than a little extra fuel.
Old 05-14-2008

DrB will become famous soon enough
Hmmm... 40 gallons goes a long way

I have a 33 ft boat, 12,500 lb displacement and a Yanmar 27 HP engine. A two weekends ago I ran it for almost 8 hours at 2800 rpm in pitching and rolling seas. I burned maybe 7 gallons of fuel, so I think that at 1900 rpm at 1 to 1.2 gallon/h is a little high. Even so, I agree 40 gallons will go a long way in mileage in a 35/36 ft boat even at a 1.2 gallon an hour.

Last season I burned 15 gallons of diesel total for 50 h of engine time, that included idle and cruising to and fro the mooring to the harbor. Thats a little more than a 0.3 gal/h.

I wouldn't install a bladder tank unless one thought that they were going into areas of questionable fuel and or extended offshore crossings.

If you are worried about it, I agree with Valiente, buy one or two 5 gallon jerry cans, fill them and lash to the mast. At 1.2 gallon/h for 5 NM, that will be another 20 NM of distance per can.

DrB
Old 05-14-2008

kmahren is on a distinguished road
oooppps... for $100,000... where did I put my glasses cleaner?
Old 05-14-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
36-40' for $100,000 is still pushing it.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-14-2008
Sailing Junkie

ehmanta is on a distinguished road
Ahhh!!! a 99k difference is huge. Which models are you looking at? There should be several to pick and choose from.