Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Why do you think you're biased?? I'd say much the same for the Telstar 28... best value for the buck given the features and size of the boat...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-16-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
For unbiased, experience based options (beyond Kanter's reviews).

For under 40 ft, the Maxim 38 (Voyage Yachts)
For over 40 ft, the Voyage 44

If I had the money and a 25 ft wide slip, I'd be sailing a Maxium. They have a problem with the chain locker, but a couple of epoxied slats would fix that (too steep to stand in when wet).

I've not skippered bigger so I won't opine. I have sailed on a Voyage 50 - it did not thrill me as much as the 44 and it costs a heck of a lot more.

Lagoon's suck and look like bricks with silly hats, Fountaine Pagot's, same deal, look stupid and cost has escalated them out of the market - condoCat's for the charter market. MaineCat's are silly with a open salon, if I wanted to live in a tent I'd go camping. TomCat's are Gemini wanna be's with outboards and bad berthing arrangement (same size as by 25% more than a Gem also).

I hear good things about Admirals and Seawinds, but they are out of my price range and generally not chartered.
Old 05-16-2008

piscator is on a distinguished road
Thanks again to everyone, I'm learning a great deal!

Chuckles, I like a man that gets straight to the point! Don't hold back!

piscator
Old 05-16-2008

Sailingdog,

Noting your New England location, could I ask another hypothetical question that might seem 'a little off the wall'?

What about a catamaran for fishing? Gas prices have certainly curtailed Montauk expeditions out to the 'butterfish hole' and dented the activities of inshore bass fisherman.

I checked out photos of Chuckles Gemini and it looked like it might make a decent fishing boat. A swift sail out to the reef and then drop the sails to drift fish or troll under power.

Crazy idea? Any thoughts?

piscator
Old 05-16-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
LOL... one of the guys that bought a sister ship to mine nearly got killed by his wife when he ripped out the port side settee and replaced it with a storage rack for fishing tackle and tackle boxes.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 05-17-2008

Sailingdog,

I'd really appreciate a brief list of multihulls that demonstrate 'good design'.

You were right to emphasize the differences in windage, bridgedeck height, etc. and I'd like to study boats you would consider 'properly designed'.

While I'm drawn to Cats in the 30' ish to 40ish range -- to further my knowledge -- I'm equally interested in Trimarans. It's the 'desireable characteristics' of either species that I'd like to 'bone up on'.

If you're able to give me a list of examples to track down, I'd really appreciate it!

If Chucles or anyone else reading this can point out 'best designed' multi's that I can study -- I hope they will chime in!

Also, Sailingdog, I'm glad you're LOL! The guy who owns your 'sistership' seems perfectly sensible -- to me! However, friends do, at times, consider me 'a little unconventional.

fisherman
Old 05-18-2008
Telstar 28

I would again repeat that there is no BEST DESIGN for multihulls. It really depends on what you want to do with the boat.

For instance, if you're really into going fast... a Reynolds 33 catamaran might be a very good choice. However, for about the same price, $150,000, you could get much more comfortable cruising catamaran, like the Gemini 105Mc. Both of these catamarans are relatively narrow, having a beam of only 14' and both will fit into a 40' monohull slip. A different sort of catamaran would be a Seawind 1000, which is almost 20' wide and generally requires a mooring or end slip, and has fixed berths for EIGHT...but is probably considerably more money than the other two.

The same is basically true of the trimarans. The go-fast version would be a Corsair 28. A basic cruising trailerable trimaran would be my boat, the Telstar 28. The luxury cruising model would probably be the Dragonfly 900, which is probably almost double the price of the Telstar 28.

Your budget is going to have a very serious impact on what boats are possibilities... and what ones are just pipe dreams. Going above 35' LOA starts to get really expensive, really fast. A new 40' Nautitech Catamaran goes for about $430,000.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 05-18-2008

Sailingdog,

I am trying to study multihulls in terms of their intended design goal, looking at things like waterline beam to length ratios, etc. -- so I will look at the Reynolds as an example of a 'fast cat' and the Gemini as a practical cruising vessel. "Here's an example of this. Here's an example that." is the kind of direction I was seeking.

That said, a sailing buddy and I have 'dry-docked' the fishing boat and are talking about joint ownership in a Cat. We already have a couple of moorings that could easily berth a 40'.

We'd look for a boat suitable for a family of four to cruise Long Island Sound to Maine -- with 'dispatch'. A boat that's not a complete hassle to singlehand on a summer evening, but still large enough to feel 'a bit shippy' -- if you know what I mean.

We're both 'into' classic craft and already own a 1/2 dozen (old) small sailboats, but I'd say we're darn open-minded! We both like the innovations that have come about in multhulls and neither one of us enjoys the long trip down the ladder into a 'leadmine' monohull. 'On the flip-side' we wouldn't appreciate a 'floating condo' either.

I don't know what the charter scene is like in New England, but we'd charter a Cat next weekend, if we new where to find one.

Any suggestions are welcome, as always. Thanks for your help!

piscator
Old 05-18-2008
Telstar 28

You're not generally going to find multihulls for charter this far north. The nearest place I know of that you can charter a catamaran is probably the Chesapeake.

If you're serious about buying a multihull, I'd highly recommend you go down to Annapolis in October and hit the Multihull Demo Days that is hosted by Performance Cruising, who makes the Telstar 28 Trimarans and Gemini 105Mc Catamarans. They usually have about a dozen multihulls that you can go out on test sails for. Starting in about September or so, you can register on-line to take different boats out for test sails on the MDD website.

Last year, they had the following boats on demo:

Catamarans < 40'
  • Broadblue 385
  • Gemini 105Mc
  • Lagoon 380
  • Seawind 1000XL
  • Seawind 1160
  • TomCat 9.7
Catamarans > 40'
  • Lagoon 420
  • Lagoon 440
  • Lagoon 500
  • Fountaine Pajot Salina 48
  • Leopard 40 (basically same as the Moorings 40)
  • Leopard 46 (bascially same as the Moorings 46)
  • Maine Cat 41
  • Manta 42
Trimarans
  • Corsair Sprint 750
  • Dragonfly (probably the 920)
  • Telstar 28
Personally, I think that Performance Cruising gives you a lot of boat for the money. It isn't going to be finished like a Gunboat, but it isn't going to cost you like a Gunboat either. Given that they've sold over 1000 Gemini catamarans, they must be doing something right. I'd highly recommend you take a look at a Gemini. It's not a perfect boat, and has some issues, but it's not a bad compromise in terms of living space and performance.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 05-18-2008

NautiG is on a distinguished road
SD, they've only manufactured around 800 Geminis. They started numbering the hulls at 100, and skipped to the next number divisible by 100 whenever they made a model change. The recent celebration of hull #1000 was a little disingenuous.

Scott
Gemini Catamaran Split Decision
Captain's Blog

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.