Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2008

piscator is on a distinguished road
Sailingdog,

Thank-you -- great suggestions, great information!

We'll put 'multihull demo days' on the list. My buddy and I will probably do a charter -- somewhere -- before then. I have to make a trip to Maine and might stop at MaineCat.

The Gemini has an awful lot going for it. While our bias is for something slightly larger, the fact that there are so many of them is a big plus.

Rebuilding boats is what we do for fun. We've rehabbed a Wherry, a 'classic glass' Rhodes, other small boats and a 'gut and refit' of a 35' Sportfish.

I don't think we'd want something new. A Cat in need of TLC would be more 'up our alley'. I wouldn't claim that we can match 'Gunboat's' finish level, but over the years, we've gotten pretty good with wood and 'glass.

Nautig, thanks for your comments. If anyone wants to chime in with older Cat suggestions 35' to 42' -- I will certainly appreciate it.

piscator
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-18-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
My bad... although the number is higher than 800. From the Gemini website:

Quote:
Through over 930 boats, every aspect of the Gemini 105Mc has evolved for maximum performance. The near constant tuning and tweaking of sail plans, rig, and structure results in a cruising catamaran with unparalleled performance. Whether sailing to windward in 25 knots or ghosting at wind-speed in 5 knots of true wind, the Gemini is a cruising boat that offers exhilarating sailing every time. As Practical Sailor phrased it - she's a "spacious, stable platform for a fast-cruising couple." Take some time to explore the reasons behind her legendary performance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NautiG View Post
SD, they've only manufactured around 800 Geminis. They started numbering the hulls at 100, and skipped to the next number divisible by 100 whenever they made a model change. The recent celebration of hull #1000 was a little disingenuous.

Scott
Gemini Catamaran Split Decision
Captain's Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-18-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Fortunately for me, the best one is #987
Old 05-19-2008

NautiG is on a distinguished road
SD, I think the number is closer to 800. They'd have to be on about hull #1130 in order to reach the 930 number. Chuckles, any idea what hull numbers they're presently building?

My guess is that 930 is the total number of all types of boats they've built, including Telstars and boats preceding the Gemini. If so, then what you quoted from the website is as misleading as their hull numbering system.

Scott
Gemini Catamaran Split Decision
Captain's Blog
Old 05-19-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
50 per year on average if those silly Telstar's don't get in the way too much. Now that the floor space for Telstar's is done that won't affect production.
987 was May 9th 2007, +50 = 1037 - 1040 about now.
Old 05-19-2008

piscator is on a distinguished road
Sailingdog, Chuckles, Nautig,

Just wanted to say thanks again!

I've located several boats for charter on the Chesapeake:

Gemini 3000
Catana c381
Fountaine Pajot 40

My sailing partner and I figure a weekday charter might save us a few bucks. We plan to take a few days off during the week and give this multi-hull thing a test run. Not sure which boat to target, but it will probably depend on what dates are available. The Pajot seems like a big boat, even for two guys.

You got us motivated, so thanks!

piscator
Old 05-19-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Glad to help.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.