Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2008

Duckwheat is on a distinguished road
Balboa 26' any expereince and ? value...

I am going to look at a Balboa 26. Looks to be in good shape from pictures, but we will see.

I have learned via the net that the pivot on the drop keel can leak and need regular maintenance. Any other issue that I should look at closely?

Difficult finding a value on it. Asking $4,900.

Your help is appreciated

DW
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-19-2008

Junk?

Are these things junk? Now that I started looking I found one with a diesel vs the outboard version.

Would you costal cruise with it?

DW
Old 05-19-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I don't know what happened to the other thread on Balboa 26's but I posted this review of them in it previously. BTW, google is your friend... the review was the top result of a google search...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 05-19-2008 at 10:46 PM.
Old 05-20-2008

garymcg is on a distinguished road
I've actually chartered the Balboa 26 "Pagan Charm" featured in the Practical Sailor review. If you are looking at one I would say check the entire centerboard mechanism thoroughly. On a boat that size I think you have to weigh the reliability of the diesel against the ease of replacement of the outboard. My other issue with the boat is that the side decks are really narrow, it's tough to move around on deck.

You could probably coastal cruise in one for limited periods, it's a little small inside for my taste (I'm 6' tall) but not a bad little boat. Doesn't go to windward very well, but then again we never had the centerboard all the way down, there are some sketchy areas in the Gulf side of the Keys and the boat owner insisted that the centerboard remain half way extended.

Gary
Old 05-20-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Of course, it would help significantly, if the OP, were to state what kind of sailing they're looking to do in a Balboa 26. If they're looking to cross oceans... probably not a great choice... if they're looking for daysailor/weekender, it is probably an excellent choice.... if they're looking for a coastal cruiser or liveaboard, it depends on how spartan they are.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 05-20-2008
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckwheat View Post
Would you costal cruise with it?

DW
SD - He's looking to cruise the coast. Should be a fine a boat if you're okay with the tight cabin, but then again, that's to be expected in a 26 footer.

Old 05-20-2008
Telstar 28

The major advantage of the diesel version is reliability, since an inboard diesel won't have the cavitation and other problems you might face with an outboard. The major downside to it is the amount of room that you lose inside the boat, and the added complexity of the systems that you wouldn't have with an outboard. For coastal cruising, I would think the outboard version would be better.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 05-20-2008

thanks..

Thanks for the input. My plan would be to do some San Juans Islands and perhaps Vancouver Island (inside) and lakes here in Idaho.

I have got the bug really bad to do more sailing right now than I am doing.

Spent 6 weeks in Alaska and read and rearead every sailing book I own. Internetted until the wee hours of the am. I was working so I could not drink like the rest of the inhabitants.

I appreciate the help.

DW
Old 05-20-2008

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough
So... I'm not sure of this, but I think that I recall..

When I was shopping for boats back in the mid-1980's I looked at a Balboa 26. I definitely wanted an inboard, because I wanted to make sure that my propeller stayed in the water in choppy seas instead of spending a lot of time whirling around in the air.

As I recall, the one I looked at had an inboard diesel. It was a one cylinder 6hp (Lister) Petter.

The boat I actually bought was a Catalina 27 with the same engine.

If that is the engine in the boat you are proposing to buy, you should know that the engine has an aluminum head and is raw water cooled. This is not a good combination for saltwater use. Corrosion on the head lead to multiple head gasket replacements and remachining.

Of course, this is less of a problem in fresh water.

I eventually wound up replacing it with a Universal 2M 12 engine, which cost me over $3K, back then, doing all the labor myself.

Additionally, the engine did not have a temperature gauge or warning.

I will say, that the engine had plenty of horsepower for my boat, which was much heavier than yours.

Again, I'm not sure about the engine I saw, but I thought I let you know anyhow.

David

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown