Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2008

vsailor is on a distinguished road
I'm in my second summer with a Catalina 310 with in-mast furling. I wasn't looking for it, it was one of the features that came with the boat!

I do approx 75% of my sailing single handed and find it convenient furling and reefing from the cockpit. I actually really like being able to reef the mainsail on the fly!

I'm sure I loose performance, but I just want to go sailing on Lake Ontario and leave my worries behind for a little while!

Would I take it on an extended ocean cruise? Hmmmm, good question.

Val
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-23-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Just something to consider. The stitching on the sail could be chafed by where it enters the mast, when sailing with the sail partially furled... and if the stitching damage contributed to the sail blowing out...it would be a serious strike against in-mast furling IMHO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-23-2008

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrB View Post
Because you lose a lot of performance with in-mast furler, Suppose you lose a half to full knot
I agree with a lot of what you say, but that statement I don't believe is accurate. A couple of tenths of a knot or perhaps a half, but not a full knot.

And, now they are making Furling Mains that do have some roach in them with vertical battens.

I am no way saying that they are for everybody,but for general cruising, they are a nice convienience.

Again, I ask the question, to all of the people here that are on the negative side who are knocking them, have you ever sailed on a cruising boat with one? Have you ever experienced sailing one or are you knocking them with out any first hand actual experience?

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White

Last edited by sailortjk1; 05-23-2008 at 09:49 AM.
Old 05-23-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Just something to consider. The stitching on the sail could be chafed by where it enters the mast, when sailing with the sail partially furled... and if the stitching damage contributed to the sail blowing out...it would be a serious strike against in-mast furling IMHO.
Well, I figure we got eight years out of her instead of maybe ten.
I don't know??

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 05-23-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I've sailed on boats with them and had to fix them... does that count???

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 05-23-2008

Of course it does, just seems that a lot of the negative comments are coming for people who have never actually tried using one.

All of the cruisers, who sail with them on a regular basis, seem to like the convieniences and ease that they add to their experince.

Some might even say that it gets them more time on the water because of the ease in which it is to actually go sailing. Try flaking a main sail by yourself. It ain't gonna happen.

BTW, are we done yet?

Old 05-23-2008
Novice

senatorcongressman is on a distinguished road
SD and midlife- Thanks for clearing that up. So a headsail properly designed for RF use would be, much or marginally better than a hank-on headsail adapted for RF use? I ask because I've looked at older boats that have been converted to RF and have had the sail modified. One of those was a 25' Catalina with 150% genoa converted to RF.

Extended apologies for veering off topic slightly.
Old 05-23-2008
Telstar 28

Sencgman-

Yes, IMHO, a sail designed specifically for roller furling will generally be a bit better in terms of performance both reefed and unreefed than a hanked-on sail that was adapted to a roller furling unit.

TJK—

In terms of full disclosure, most of the in-mast furling units I've dealt with were older ones, and the newer ones may be somewhat better and more reliable, less finicky... don't know since I don't own one...nor normally do I sail on boats that have them.

Telstar 28
New England

Last edited by sailingdog; 05-23-2008 at 10:40 AM.
Old 05-23-2008

Brezzin is on a distinguished road
When you talk about wear and tear on a mainsail, I have often wondered if just the act of flaking the sail on the boom contributes to ware and to what degree. We always can't make the perfect flake and if we do were folding on the same spot and the sail ties can be often to tight. That has to breaking threads in the sail. I would venture that rolling furler may in fact be less abusive on the sail than flaking it on the boom. I don't know for sure and only time will tell.
2007 Hunter 49
Old 05-23-2008

sailordave is on a distinguished road
mainsail furling

While I haven't CRUISED w/ a boat so equipped... the Lippincott 30 my club sold last year had a behind the mast vertical furler. I found this beneficial only in that in strong winds (22,23 knots +) it made it easy to reef. I took out a lady friend one blustery day and felt comfortable knowing I could set whatever amount of sail area was appropriate for the conditions (which got worse!) and still maintain control of the boat. I would NOT have taken one of our other boats out on that particular day.

That said, I personally dislike the mast furling for all the reasons stated by previous posters. Weight, looks, efficiency, etc.

This same boat was NOT a fun boat to sail in light air and I'm convinced the reason is the inefficiency of the air flow and reduced sail area.

I don't mind furling headsails but I remain a bit of a traditionalist. Same w/ GPS and autopilot; they have their place but to rely on them 95% of the time means your HEAD and other senses aren't where they need to be.

And if I have to give up sailing one or two times a season b/c my seamanship skills tell me not to take a traditionally reefed boat out... so be it.

Dave, .02 poorer