Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2008

eMKay is on a distinguished road
I must be crazy...

Yesterday I was browsing boats again, and came across a Bendytoy First 235 I have seen lots of pictures, and wasn't impressed, but as the story goes, sometimes you just HAVE to see things in person to appreciate them. It looks like a mini version of...

Uh-oh, did I just compare Alex's beauty to a Beneteau? Well, it's the first thing I thought of. I just bought boat #2 so I'm not looking to upgrade already (unless something drastic happens, like someone offers me 4g's for mine) But this boat has been put on the list as boat #3. I do not like some of the cheap details though, like the iron keel and the fact that the rudder is longer than the keel on the winged version (no big deal...unless it's fixed, and it is, duh!)

I also got to cross one boat off the list, Catalina 250, what a POS! It was next to a Capri 26 which seems like a much better built boat, what went wrong here? Same manufacturer.

Also Precisions are really really nice for the money, if I were buying a new small boat I would probably buy a P23.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Technician, RCR Yachts Buffalo.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-28-2008

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
I think you may pay dearly for that comparison! You might want to consider relocation as an option.
Old 05-28-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Funny you say that... Alex was admiring the lines on a Beneteau when we were out looking at boats at various places around Cape Ann the other day. I think he's thinking of buying one as his next boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-28-2008
Midwest Puddle Pirate

US27inKS has a spectacular aura about US27inKS has a spectacular aura about
Saturday's race ended up with only 2 of us in my fleet, me and a bendy 235. I got my ass kicked all day long. I couldn't tell from my view of his transom whether it was a well built boat, but it was a good deal faster than my boat.

John USYacht 27 "Cora Lee"
Old 05-29-2008
1987 Pearson 27

Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by US27inKS View Post
Saturday's race ended up with only 2 of us in my fleet, me and a bendy 235. I got my ass kicked all day long. I couldn't tell from my view of his transom whether it was a well built boat, but it was a good deal faster than my boat.
When we were sailing Giulietta in front of Lisbon we were racing a Beneteau and we were leaving it in our wake... it was like that boat after boat after boat.

Old 05-29-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Funny you say that... Alex was admiring the lines on a Beneteau when we were out looking at boats at various places around Cape Ann the other day. I think he's thinking of buying one as his next boat.
I think it's a shame that Alex and family aren't coming my way after I sail with him on his boat. I'm absolutely sure that while I will love the experience I will not be looking to switch to a boat like his; but I'm sure I could talk his wife in to a catamaran as the next boat

I took nine adult people out last night, and had sitting (and elbow) room in the cockpit for all of them on a 34 ft boat. If we'd stayed out overnight I could have put 8 of them in beds, and slept the other in a enclosed cockpit.
Old 05-29-2008

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Lets see here, if one goes here one will see a US27 is about 10-20 secs a mile slower than a bendy toy 235, which with ratings in the 177-210 thru out the nation, a pretty fast boat for 23', vs the US27 ranging from 198-220 or so. So you should have gotten beat boat for boat. Then if they have newer sails etc vs you, then it will be even more pronounced.

Generally speaking the First series Bendy's are pretty fast, and bit better designed/built than the Oceanus and other cruising style models. Personally, I like the 36.7 or 10r/34.7 models. There are some other brands similar too.

If one wants a fast boat in the mid 20 range, this one would be it. About 20 secs slower than a J24, altho about 2 min slower than Melges 24.............but still one of the faster 24' boats with a reasonably usable interior.

Marty
Old 05-29-2008

eMKay is on a distinguished road
How is the Beneteau that much faster? I mean, it's shorter, and it's not like US Yacths are slow, they were designed to be fast right?

Technician, RCR Yachts Buffalo.