Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2008
1987 Pearson 27

Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about
Question Opinions on Inflatables...

I know there has been a lot of talk about inflatables but i would like some additional input. (just for the record i searched every thread here before posting )

First... we would be using this inflatable as a water tender for our 27' Pearson. We would probably not use it a whole lot so comfort is not neccesary. We would like something that is small enough to store in the lazerrette... which is not large but big enough for a roll up to fit inside. We would probably tow it behind on occasion as well.

I don't want to spend more than 700 if possible. (I know i can forget about having an engine at this price.) If your budget was 700... what would you consider?

I have looked at these so far:
Air Aquatics DI800

DinghyLand DA200

Saturn SD230

Any thoughts? Thanks for taking the time.
-Joel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-28-2008

captainrizzo is on a distinguished road
I think you are going to have trouble fitting a rolled-up inflatible in the lazerette on a P-27.

-Riz
Old 05-28-2008

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Nice little boats...

I was toying with the Maxxon CS230 A bit above your price range........then again, for 1 week towed behind, and a few other days inflated, the other 340'ish days in storage on the boat, or the garage in my case........cheap is not always the worst option........As long as it is strong enough to hand a sharp rock, oyster shell or 3 or 4......

Marty
Old 05-28-2008
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
Joel,

If you're planning on getting an inflatable without an outboard, you should consider that they can be very difficult to row. In my experience, the air chambers simply don't provide a stable enough platform for oar locks.

If it were me, I'd either need a small (1.5-3hp) outboard or a rigid/hard dingy like a Walker Bay 8. I realize a motor goes against your budget while a rigid dingy goes against your storage plans.

Old 05-28-2008
Sailor

Plumper is on a distinguished road
I have an Achilles LT-2 that I keep behind a settee. It packs very small and is a great little boat in a pinch. It has wood floor boards and seats. I have owned it for 4 years, and it came with the boat when I bought it. I don't know how old it is, but it seems to be lasting well.

We don't have a motor for it, we row it. I have rowed miles in it successfully.

That doesn't mean it rows well, but I row it.
Is bound in shallows and in miseries.
Shakespeare, Julius Caesar IV, iii, 217

Last edited by Plumper; 05-28-2008 at 03:29 PM.
Old 05-28-2008

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Unless your fine with a 3-5 yr dink, stay away from PVC, I know several dink docs and they all pretty much say the same thing, PVC will come apart shortly after the warranty expires, regardless of UV protection, the joints just fail

I picked up a nice rollup 9'-6" Apex hypalon with inflatable keel and folding hard floor for 700 bucks, it was a unused/new overstock item form one of the big box retailers, for a tender/runabout it's slick.

Look high & low and you'll find good deals on hypalon dinks, you'll be happy in the long run

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 05-28-2008
1987 Pearson 27

Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about
BRB... need to respeond to more than 1 comment

Last edited by Joel73; 05-28-2008 at 03:06 PM.
Old 05-28-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Regarding rowing these dinghies, I agree completely that they don't row worth Sh**.

However, we are using a rollup Zodiac, suits our needs quite well, and though we do have a 3.5 o/b, for short trips we each sit on a side tube and paddle the thing with canoe paddles... works not bad as long as there's not significant breeze or wave action. Much better that sitting on the not-so-secure "seat" and trying to row with those stubby "oars".

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 05-28-2008
1987 Pearson 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainrizzo View Post
I think you are going to have trouble fitting a rolled-up inflatible in the lazerette on a P-27.

-Riz
Are you familier with the 1987 P-27?

This is a concern of mine as well. I will measure the exact dimensions of the lazerette this weekend but i think the models that i am looking at so far would work. For example: The Delphinus packing size is listed as 45"(L) x 22" x 12"... so this one in particular would work and i'm hoping for the same with the others i've looked at. Another (not so desirable) option is keeping it in the aft cabin while underway... but then we gotta shuffle things around once at anchor....

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
Nice little boats...

I was toying with the Maxxon CS230 A bit above your price range........then again, for 1 week towed behind, and a few other days inflated, the other 340'ish days in storage on the boat, or the garage in my case........cheap is not always the worst option........As long as it is strong enough to hand a sharp rock, oyster shell or 3 or 4.....
Marty
Thanks Marty... i'm thinking that with the amount of use that it will probably see, that a cheaper option may be the way to go. We have our own slip and a mooring. The only time it would really get used would be on "long" (one week) trips. We only take a few of those a year and the rest is just overnighting or day sailing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaltersmi View Post
Joel,

If you're planning on getting an inflatable without an outboard, you should consider that they can be very difficult to row. In my experience, the air chambers simply don't provide a stable enough platform for oar locks.

If it were me, I'd either need a small (1.5-3hp) outboard or a rigid/hard dingy like a Walker Bay 8. I realize a motor goes against your budget while a rigid dingy goes against your storage plans.
I hear ya on the rowing! The goal is to row for one season until we could afford a small motor. I like the Walker Bay 8's but unfortunately, like you said, that won't work for us because of storage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopdeckpappy View Post
Unless your fine with a 3-5 yr dink, stay away from PVC, I know several dink docs and they all pretty much say the same thing, PVC will come apart shortly after the warranty expires, regardless of UV protection, the joints just fail

I picked up a nice rollup 9'-6" Apex hypalon with inflatable keel and folding hard floor for 700 bucks, it was a unused/new overstock item form one of the big box retailers, for a tender/runabout it's slick.

Look high & low and you'll find good deals on hypalon dinks, you'll be happy in the long run
Thanks PDP... I hadn't thought about that. If we got 3-5 yrs i would be happy for the price paid for a NEW dink.... but of course i will be looking around for deals towards the end of this season. We don't HAVE to have it until this Sept when we plan on going to Cape Lookout. Maybe it just makes more sense to rent one for that trip and in the meantime keep an eye out for a good deal on a Hypalon version.

Old 05-28-2008
1987 Pearson 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Regarding rowing these dinghies, I agree completely that they don't row worth Sh**.

However, we are using a rollup Zodiac, suits our needs quite well, and though we do have a 3.5 o/b, for short trips we each sit on a side tube and paddle the thing with canoe paddles... works not bad as long as there's not significant breeze or wave action. Much better that sitting on the not-so-secure "seat" and trying to row with those stubby "oars".
This would probably be our approach too... until we got the motor.