Opinions on Inflatables... - SailNet Community
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 Old 05-28-2008 Thread Starter
1987 Pearson 27
 
Joel73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NC
Posts: 1,581
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 11
     
Question Opinions on Inflatables...

I know there has been a lot of talk about inflatables but i would like some additional input. (just for the record i searched every thread here before posting )

First... we would be using this inflatable as a water tender for our 27' Pearson. We would probably not use it a whole lot so comfort is not neccesary. We would like something that is small enough to store in the lazerrette... which is not large but big enough for a roll up to fit inside. We would probably tow it behind on occasion as well.

I don't want to spend more than 700 if possible. (I know i can forget about having an engine at this price.) If your budget was 700... what would you consider?

I have looked at these so far:
Air Aquatics DI800

DinghyLand DA200

Saturn SD230

Any thoughts? Thanks for taking the time.
-Joel

Quote:
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." - Albert Einstein

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Joel73 is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 34 Old 05-28-2008
Senior Member
 
captainrizzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 176
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 8
 
I think you are going to have trouble fitting a rolled-up inflatible in the lazerette on a P-27.

-Riz
captainrizzo is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #3 of 34 Old 05-28-2008
Senior Member
 
blt2ski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6,883
Thanks: 0
Thanked 30 Times in 29 Posts
Rep Power: 12
   
Nice little boats...

I was toying with the Maxxon CS230 A bit above your price range........then again, for 1 week towed behind, and a few other days inflated, the other 340'ish days in storage on the boat, or the garage in my case........cheap is not always the worst option........As long as it is strong enough to hand a sharp rock, oyster shell or 3 or 4......

Marty

She drives me boat,
I drives me dinghy!
blt2ski is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #4 of 34 Old 05-28-2008
Broad Reachin'
 
kwaltersmi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan
Posts: 1,936
Thanks: 1
Thanked 17 Times in 17 Posts
Rep Power: 10
 
Joel,

If you're planning on getting an inflatable without an outboard, you should consider that they can be very difficult to row. In my experience, the air chambers simply don't provide a stable enough platform for oar locks.

If it were me, I'd either need a small (1.5-3hp) outboard or a rigid/hard dingy like a Walker Bay 8. I realize a motor goes against your budget while a rigid dingy goes against your storage plans.

Catalina 34

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
kwaltersmi is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #5 of 34 Old 05-28-2008
Sailor
 
Plumper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Vancouver Island
Posts: 845
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 8
 
I have an Achilles LT-2 that I keep behind a settee. It packs very small and is a great little boat in a pinch. It has wood floor boards and seats. I have owned it for 4 years, and it came with the boat when I bought it. I don't know how old it is, but it seems to be lasting well.

We don't have a motor for it, we row it. I have rowed miles in it successfully.

That doesn't mean it rows well, but I row it.

There is a tide in the affairs of men,
Which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune;
Omitted, all the voyage of their life
Is bound in shallows and in miseries.
Shakespeare, Julius Caesar IV, iii, 217

Last edited by Plumper; 05-28-2008 at 03:29 PM.
Plumper is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #6 of 34 Old 05-28-2008
Senior Member
 
poopdeckpappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 6,185
Thanks: 35
Thanked 42 Times in 36 Posts
Rep Power: 12
     
Unless your fine with a 3-5 yr dink, stay away from PVC, I know several dink docs and they all pretty much say the same thing, PVC will come apart shortly after the warranty expires, regardless of UV protection, the joints just fail

I picked up a nice rollup 9'-6" Apex hypalon with inflatable keel and folding hard floor for 700 bucks, it was a unused/new overstock item form one of the big box retailers, for a tender/runabout it's slick.

Look high & low and you'll find good deals on hypalon dinks, you'll be happy in the long run

1955 Blanchard 51 Custom ( I got a woody )

1974 Ranger 33


Lord, give me coffee to change the things I can change and Rum to accept the things I can't
poopdeckpappy is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #7 of 34 Old 05-28-2008 Thread Starter
1987 Pearson 27
 
Joel73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NC
Posts: 1,581
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 11
     
BRB... need to respeond to more than 1 comment

Quote:
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." - Albert Einstein

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Joel73; 05-28-2008 at 03:06 PM.
Joel73 is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #8 of 34 Old 05-28-2008
Just another Moderator
 
Faster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New Westminster, BC
Posts: 16,534
Thanks: 104
Thanked 314 Times in 301 Posts
Rep Power: 10
     
Regarding rowing these dinghies, I agree completely that they don't row worth Sh**.

However, we are using a rollup Zodiac, suits our needs quite well, and though we do have a 3.5 o/b, for short trips we each sit on a side tube and paddle the thing with canoe paddles... works not bad as long as there's not significant breeze or wave action. Much better that sitting on the not-so-secure "seat" and trying to row with those stubby "oars".

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Faster is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #9 of 34 Old 05-28-2008 Thread Starter
1987 Pearson 27
 
Joel73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NC
Posts: 1,581
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 11
     
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainrizzo View Post
I think you are going to have trouble fitting a rolled-up inflatible in the lazerette on a P-27.

-Riz
Are you familier with the 1987 P-27?

This is a concern of mine as well. I will measure the exact dimensions of the lazerette this weekend but i think the models that i am looking at so far would work. For example: The Delphinus packing size is listed as 45"(L) x 22" x 12"... so this one in particular would work and i'm hoping for the same with the others i've looked at. Another (not so desirable) option is keeping it in the aft cabin while underway... but then we gotta shuffle things around once at anchor....

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
Nice little boats...

I was toying with the Maxxon CS230 A bit above your price range........then again, for 1 week towed behind, and a few other days inflated, the other 340'ish days in storage on the boat, or the garage in my case........cheap is not always the worst option........As long as it is strong enough to hand a sharp rock, oyster shell or 3 or 4.....
Marty
Thanks Marty... i'm thinking that with the amount of use that it will probably see, that a cheaper option may be the way to go. We have our own slip and a mooring. The only time it would really get used would be on "long" (one week) trips. We only take a few of those a year and the rest is just overnighting or day sailing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaltersmi View Post
Joel,

If you're planning on getting an inflatable without an outboard, you should consider that they can be very difficult to row. In my experience, the air chambers simply don't provide a stable enough platform for oar locks.

If it were me, I'd either need a small (1.5-3hp) outboard or a rigid/hard dingy like a Walker Bay 8. I realize a motor goes against your budget while a rigid dingy goes against your storage plans.
I hear ya on the rowing! The goal is to row for one season until we could afford a small motor. I like the Walker Bay 8's but unfortunately, like you said, that won't work for us because of storage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopdeckpappy View Post
Unless your fine with a 3-5 yr dink, stay away from PVC, I know several dink docs and they all pretty much say the same thing, PVC will come apart shortly after the warranty expires, regardless of UV protection, the joints just fail

I picked up a nice rollup 9'-6" Apex hypalon with inflatable keel and folding hard floor for 700 bucks, it was a unused/new overstock item form one of the big box retailers, for a tender/runabout it's slick.

Look high & low and you'll find good deals on hypalon dinks, you'll be happy in the long run
Thanks PDP... I hadn't thought about that. If we got 3-5 yrs i would be happy for the price paid for a NEW dink.... but of course i will be looking around for deals towards the end of this season. We don't HAVE to have it until this Sept when we plan on going to Cape Lookout. Maybe it just makes more sense to rent one for that trip and in the meantime keep an eye out for a good deal on a Hypalon version.

Quote:
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." - Albert Einstein

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Joel73 is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #10 of 34 Old 05-28-2008 Thread Starter
1987 Pearson 27
 
Joel73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NC
Posts: 1,581
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 11
     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Regarding rowing these dinghies, I agree completely that they don't row worth Sh**.

However, we are using a rollup Zodiac, suits our needs quite well, and though we do have a 3.5 o/b, for short trips we each sit on a side tube and paddle the thing with canoe paddles... works not bad as long as there's not significant breeze or wave action. Much better that sitting on the not-so-secure "seat" and trying to row with those stubby "oars".
This would probably be our approach too... until we got the motor.

Quote:
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." - Albert Einstein

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Joel73 is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.


User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Garmin 498 C Sounder Opinions ? Transome mounted Transducer? chuck711 Gear & Maintenance 2 01-14-2007 09:11 PM
Opinions needed on 1974 34' Columbia Mark II gary1974 Boat Review and Purchase Forum 2 11-18-2006 10:00 PM
Opinions on moving a boat around Lake Michigan mbieweng Boat Review and Purchase Forum 18 07-17-2004 04:20 PM
Opinions wanted on Laguna 30 mbieweng Boat Review and Purchase Forum 0 06-01-2004 08:35 PM
Sea Eagle inflatables ricekrgr General Discussion (sailing related) 1 10-17-2003 02:06 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome