Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2008

punctualalex is on a distinguished road
Repowering a Cal 30 - "seized" Atomic 4

Hey all, I've got a killer deal lined up on a Cal 30 but the Atomic 4 is seized and will need to be replaced. I know Atomic 4s are pretty common, but what are the chances of finding one in usable condition to repower this boat? And how big of a job is it to replace the engine? I recently graduated from college with an engineering degree, I'm handy with tools and I've put in some time tinkering with engines so I'd like to do the labor myself, but how much would it cost to get ahold of a replacement engine?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-29-2008
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Cal 30s are nice boats (IMHO those early cals are sailors' sailboats)and well worth some time and effort. For the A4 you want to go to Moyer Marine Rebuilding Services.

The A4 is a pretty basic engine, but it is a marine installation, so there are plenty of eccentricies to get absolutely right or else, especially in the exhaust and fuel systems. If you are humble and careful you can pull it off, there's no rocket science involved, just don't sink or blow up the boat.
Old 05-30-2008
Trim for Sail

uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about
the Cal 30 is not "Andromeda" is it? i miss my cal 30

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sin City, Liquor all day, Poker all night...Channel Islands & Diego, So Cal
BJ & Nimfa
S/V Flocerfida

If You dont Stand Behind our troops...Feel Free To STAND IN FRONT OF THEM
Old 05-30-2008

SkywalkerII is on a distinguished road
The A-4 on my C&C 34 blew last season. I decided to replace it with a rebuilt A-4 from Moyer. Moyer is a great company, helpful, honest, responsive. It really wasn't that difficult a job. I used the mainsheet to lift the old A-4 out. I put the halyard on the boom for extra support. I did not have to make any modifications to the boat - it really was a direct, bolt on replacement. Of course, it was a great opportunity to clean the bilge, check wiring, fuel lines, etc. The new one was fresh water cooled, so I had to locate and plumb the heat exchager - no big deal. It is also helpful to get one after market part - the extended dip stick. This makes your regular checking of oil level a breeze.

This spring, the new A-4 fired up in literally a second of cranking. I love these little engines. I also hate the smell of diesel. You can't be the price. A used A-4 can be found, usually for a couple of grand. Many, if not most, of the older ones were salt water cooled even if they are now fresh water cooled. I personally think it smarter to buy a rebuilt for 4500 with the piece of mind that comes with it.

Good luck

Skywalker II
Old 05-30-2008

robfinora is on a distinguished road
You also may want to have the current A4 in there rebuilt. remove it of course to do the job right and either drop it off at a shop for a rebuild or find a reputable mechanic on the side that wants to earn some extra cash. I did that with a Yanmar Diesel I pulled from my Catalina 30 and it worked out just fine. I pulled the motor myself and dropped it off at a shop...picked it up 6 weeks later rebuilt and painted. Unless the block is cracked - there is really nothing that they (or you) can't fix.