Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2008

thermaljames is on a distinguished road
Need experianced opinion

It has been several years since I last owned a sailboat and that was a Cat22. I am looking to get back in the game after a divorce. I will be looking for a model that 1st) will be a comfortable live aboard/off-shore cruiser type, between 30' and 40' and 2) something that has a reputation for being soundly and efficiently built. By that I mean a boat that has room to access the vast majority of the engine and a history of having quality fiberglass. I'm aware that every manufacturer and model has its pluses and minuses but I feel there is enough experience on this forum for me to get a better idea of what i am looking for. Thanks for any and all replies.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-02-2008
*starboard*

merlin2375 will become famous soon enough
You might consider adding what your price range is to help people help you out
Old 06-02-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Have you looked at the bluewater boats list thread which is a sticky in this forum. Lots of possibilities there.
Old 06-02-2008

thermaljames is on a distinguished road
Looking to spend anywhere between $40000 and $80000. And I will look at the other thread, thanks
Old 06-02-2008
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
The terms comfortable, good liveaboard, and offshore are typically words that are not used together.

What is comfortable? What is offshore? What is a good liveaboard? My Catalina 400 is a comfortable, liveaboard boat that I would take offshore for 5-7 days. It has no fiberglass issues. It would not be my first choice to sail around the world on though. A Tayana 37 is a boat you could sail around the world, but I do not feel it is a comfortable liveaboard.

These are the things you have to decide. For $40,000-$80,000, I could not find a boat that would match your criteria for me personally. I am just being honest.

I am not the best person to discuss boats that meet all these criteria, but the first boat that pops to my mind is a Tayana 37, as mentioned before. You might be able to get a decent one for $80,000 - or a bit more. It is a good offshore, go around the world boat. Is it a good liveaboard? Well, ask Poopdeckpappy. He has one. I am not sure it would be good for me with kids. If it was just me 99% of the time, maybe. I would deal with the space. But most of the boats in that range that meet all of your criteria will be tight. That means, to this sailor, an uncofortable liveaboard.

My pops and I searched quite a while for a boat for him and mom for a LA. We settled on a Tayana 42. We looked at many others, though, and certainly did not discount Bene, Jeaunea or Catalina. But mom liked all the teak in the T-V-42, so that was one of the big determining factors. However, you will not touch one of those for the numbers you mentioned.

I am sure others have opinions that will help. If you can define what offshore is (and your destinations) you will get a better answer, I think.

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook: