SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   tanzer 27 (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/43806-tanzer-27-a.html)

southernsmoke 06-03-2008 11:53 AM

tanzer 27

Does anyone have any experience with this make/model of boat? The model I am looking at is from the early 80s.

I'm interested in what its limitations are, any "rules of thumb" for upkeep costs, things I ought to know, known problems with those boats, etc. Any information really would be helpful. Would you recommend this boat to someone fairly new to sailing?

Thanks!

southernsmoke 06-04-2008 02:46 PM

well, i hope "no news is good news" because I made an offer on it today

Plumper 06-04-2008 03:22 PM

Fine boat. Several around here. Popular racer and seaworthy weekender.

Spirit08 06-06-2008 10:15 AM

I hope you enjoy that Tanzer. I suspect that I looked at the same boat. New Bern? Good deal and by my research is a seaworthyvessel. If I didn't have 2 kids and need the extra space, I would have snagged her.

I am still hunting around.

LakeEscape 06-06-2008 10:21 AM

Smoke,

Whare are you sailing? I'm looking at a C&C 27 this weekend.

LakeEscape

Faster 06-06-2008 03:06 PM

Tanzers in general are very popular boat with a good reputation for both build quality and reliability.

While some of the designs (notably 26, 28) are not likely to win any beauty pageants, esp the older window version, they were good boats that sailed well and engendered a strong following.

The 27 was IIRC originally a Paceship design, and as such is a more conventional looking boat. The example on YW (presumably the one you are dealing on) looks to be a good one.

captainrizzo 06-06-2008 03:26 PM

Very popular boats up in Canada.

southernsmoke 06-11-2008 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spirit08 (Post 325528)
I hope you enjoy that Tanzer. I suspect that I looked at the same boat. New Bern? Good deal and by my research is a seaworthyvessel. If I didn't have 2 kids and need the extra space, I would have snagged her.

I am still hunting around.

Yep, its the same boat. I feel a got a very good deal and it is perfect for what I am looking for. They accepted my first offer, as well, which I wasnt sure they'd do.

Going on a test sail and having the survey done tuesday... I've never owned a sailboat before, so i hope it all goes smoothly!

southernsmoke 06-11-2008 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LakeEscape (Post 325532)
Smoke,

Whare are you sailing? I'm looking at a C&C 27 this weekend.

LakeEscape

I'm from the New Bern area. Not "sailing" anywhere yet but I hope to change that very soon. Boat will be down near oriental.

southernsmoke 06-23-2008 11:01 AM

Had the survey done, boat was in better condition than I expected. No major hull issues, and only two small blisters. Kept it on the hard and painted it, launched it Friday after working half the few nights before. Broke but sailing, and the estimate I got from boatus and the surveyor is considerably more than I paid for it, so I am very happy.

Thanks sailnet!