Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2008
Trim for Sail

uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about
glad to hear it, good luck, i hope it's a flawless adventure. tell Ron hello from Vegas!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sin City, Liquor all day, Poker all night...Channel Islands & Diego, So Cal
BJ & Nimfa
S/V Flocerfida

If You dont Stand Behind our troops...Feel Free To STAND IN FRONT OF THEM
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-03-2008
Montgomery 17

Perithead is on a distinguished road
When I went on my seatrial, the owner wasnt on board. I have never met the PO of my boat, just spoke to him on the phone once.

Our seatrial consisted of myself, my mother, the salesman, and the surveyor. On my seatrial I elected to take the boat to a boatyard and have it hauled out to check for the bottom for blisters and check the prop and such.

The wind wasnt very strong at all but we raised the sails and checked for tears and such.

Afterwards, my mother and I took the surveyor out to lunch and we discussed the seatrial and other things.

I agree with not commiting to the boat right after but wait for the survey. You can use the negative things that the surveyor finds to bring down the price of the boat a bit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sailing Videos, Woodworking Videos and More!
Old 06-03-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Take notes and digital photos. If you have any questions, make sure you ask them. Make sure you get a list of the major systems and how to operate them all.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-03-2008

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Having just done my second sea trail last week, I can share a few things I did wrong and things I did right. First I got a good surveyor and let him do his thing. He showed me the each discepancy he saw without my having to look over his shoulder. This allowed me to look at things that were important to me and think through how I would address some of those concerns while the surveyor did his thing.

What I did wrong was let the broker rush the sea trial a little bit. I was still looking over the genoa on the foredeck when the broker started rolling the thing in. I should have stopped him so I could participate using the furler, but I let it go. I did check with my surveyor to make sure he'd seen everything he'd wanted before heading back in. I only took a short stint at the helm, but did take time to do a couple of quick stops under power and then backed the boat a couple of times to get a feel for how the boat would behave near the dock.

The thing to remember is, its your sea trial so take the time you need to see what you need to see. If it takes a while it takes a while. Don't let the broker or owner rush you and do check with your surveyor to make sure he's content before you agree to head back in.

Have fun and Good Luck!
Old 06-03-2008
Sailor

Plumper is on a distinguished road
I would insist that the engine be absolutely cold when I arrive. It has been my experience that worn diesels always start better when they have been warmed through. It is that first start in the morning that tells all.

I would also sail the boat hard and look for weaknesses in the rig. There is nothing quite like a rail under to put the seller of a weak boat on edge.
Is bound in shallows and in miseries.
Shakespeare, Julius Caesar IV, iii, 217
Old 06-03-2008
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
I never had the benefit of a sea trial when we bought our 1967 Tartan 27' but the PO did spend a day with me discussing engine maintenance and other systems which I tape recorded. We did have a land based survey done and the PO had taken very good care of his old boat PLUS there was no broker involved. Our sea trial consisted of taking the boat about 100 miles west up LI Sound.
I would have liked to do a sea trial as a shake down sail though.
Next time perhaps.

Everybody has one:

Old 06-03-2008

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Surveyor

Hello,

IMHO, you should do whatever the surveyor asks to be done. If he's good, that will include a thorough check of the:

engine
transmission
steering
winches
furler (if there is one)
stuffing box
motor mounts
etc.

The other things people mention should be done, but don't have to be part of the sea trial.

If there is a broker you should not expect the owner to be present. It's the broker's job to do the work of selling the boat. If the broker is good, he won't let you dock the boat, or otherwise risk damaging it.

Good luck,
Barry

Old 06-03-2008

montenido is on a distinguished road
Great Information, Thanks

Hi, all. Wow, what a great bunch of info to use tomorrow. If I get the jist of this, trust the surveyor while asking lots of questions, and discount the opinions of the selling broker. Take as much time as needed, then use the findings of the survey and sea trial to negotiate the final price. I am making a compilation of all the great posts here and will post the final sea trial list for further use later.

Thank you all. I will let you know how it goes.

montenido

"There is no unhappiness like the misery of sighting land (and work) again after a cheerful, careless voyage."
Mark Twain
Old 06-04-2008
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
At our sea trial (my first) the surveyor also went along, and I was glad he did. We sailed upwind on both tacks, then downwind. Check steering on all points of sail, check for any looseness or "clunks". If you are fortunate to have good winds push her to the limits, that's where any weakness will show up. Under power take it up to full throttle for a full 5 minutes to check for overheating, excessive smoke or a loss of oil pressure when you go back to idle. Check all instruments for proper operation. We did the sea trial first so we could check the engine for leaks after being run hard.

good luck, John

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 06-04-2008

negrini is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to negrini Send a message via Yahoo to negrini Send a message via Skype™ to negrini
Try to get there a little earlier and spend some time looking to the boat, and imagine you and beloved ones boarding and sitting around. Sea trial results has no meaning if you don't fall in love with her. Ok, don't be fooled by this, so check the fridge and make sure there is enough space for beers .... good luck !