Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2008

merttan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alden68 View Post

I have it on my boat and it has every feature imagiable....Class D DSC, hailer capable, WHAM capable, color screen...and the best feature is every channel has a reference name like Distress, Commercial, Ship to Ship, Ship to Shore so you can quickly and easily Navigate around the channels.
Congrats, wonderful looking boat...

I'll recommend Standard Horizon GX3000S to the contrary of 625SE... 3000x has all the bells and whistles on the 625S except the color screen, which I don't favor much due to pixel loss by time, at an affordable price... I bought mine for $150 at defender March sale...
3000x has the fog horn bells and whistles, customizable (is that a word?) channel names, loudhailer(with optional 40W speaker which is about 20$) and options like phone style handset,RAM(remote access microphone) etc...

May God fill your sails with fair winds and cabin with laughters...

Materialism: Buying the things we don't need, with money we don't have, to impress people who don't matter.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-06-2008
Barking Dog

KindOfBlue is on a distinguished road
Nice boat. I used to have Catalina 30 and loved it. Take a look at the Garmin GPSMap 545 Chartplotter (or go big with the 4208). The 545 has an internal antenna and their user interface is very easy to use. No need to buy seperate charting chips, all of the charts you need come pre-loaded. Optionally, they have an advanced g2 Vision chip that has some really cool features. I bought Garmin 4212 this year and was previously a Simrad (CX34) and Raymarine (C80) customer. I was happy with Simrad and Raymarine, but I like my new Garmin the best.
Old 06-06-2008
C&C 34

MysticGringo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to MysticGringo Send a message via AIM to MysticGringo Send a message via Yahoo to MysticGringo Send a message via Skype™ to MysticGringo
Congrats on your new boat... she looks pretty.

As for VHF... have one dedicated to the boat, and have a handheld. Its worth the money getting one that floats, don't ask how I know this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-06-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I like the Icom M504 for a VHF radio. I think you're better off having a full-power boat VHF unit rather than just a handheld. Getting a handheld as a backup or auxiliary makes sense.

For chartplotters, I like the older Garmin 492 if you can find it. It comes with the US Coastal charts pre-loaded, and I like the User Interface better than the one found on the newer Garmins... as the newer units still have a few bugs to work out IMHO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-06-2008
cap'n chronic

cnc33voodoo is on a distinguished road
congrats on the new boat.
welcome to poverty.
as far as chartplotter and radio i can only comment from experience as i just replaced both last week.
my wife got me this
Welcome to StandardHorizon.com
and i later that day bought this(hey,i needed a matching set )
Welcome to StandardHorizon.com
cant beat the price,the maps are fair priced,they both do what i need them to do, and they are compatible.
i cant get too far in depth as to function as i am still learing how to use the chartplotter.
only complaint i have is the mount for it is a poor design.
i prefer garmin mounts as they are rectangular as opposed to the sh triangular mount that doesnt fit my old bezel on my pedestal.
as for the radio, i was able to flush mount it in my nav station and it looks awesome.

Last edited by cnc33voodoo; 06-06-2008 at 09:03 AM.
Old 06-06-2008
Barking Dog

KindOfBlue is on a distinguished road
I agree with getting a full power primary VHF and also like the Icom M504. You can get the commandmic for this unit, which works great from the cockpit. I find that with my commandmic, I actually listen to the VHF. For me, the speaker down below isn't loud enough to keep my attention. A hand held in the cockpit will serve the same purpose, but not as powerful.
Old 06-06-2008

LakeEscape is on a distinguished road
Very nice ... and as you said. Let the spending begin. Enjoy in good health for you and your family.

Fair winds
Lake Escape
Old 06-06-2008

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough
Beautiful boat. That canvas is going to save you a lot of messing around with your teak!

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
Old 06-06-2008
Pearson 303

SVCarolena is on a distinguished road
Montenido - Great boat! How many feet? Please keep us posted on your electronic search. I've been contemplating the Lowrance 527c chartplotter/sonar, but that Standard Horizon unit looks like a contender. I'm also a fan of the Standard vhs radios.

Fair winds.
Old 06-06-2008
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Great looking boat, I like the hard dodger. Have fun!

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse