Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2002

prussell is on a distinguished road
extent of boat survey

I understand the difference in an insurance and a comprehensive boat survey. My question is to how much or to what extent should a surveyor inspect hull, rigging, shaft, etc.
Should I expect more than a close visual examination of the shaft coupling, rigging, chainplates, etc, or is a more invasive inspection something I should expect. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-21-2002

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
extent of boat survey

The level of detail on a survey greatly depends on the particular surveyor and what you have negotiated with the surveyor and seller. In a technical sense, a surveyor is not supposed to disassemble anything without permission and some surveyors won''t disassemble things even with permission. A surveyor will not do any destructive testing without specific instructions from all parties and again, some will not do destructive testing even when so directed.

I have generally requested permission from an owner to disassemble anything that we feel might conceal a defect as long as we put it back together. I have generally gotten that permission. On most boats that I have purchased I personally did a lot of the disassembly and reassmbly, leaving the surveyor free to do what he''s paid for, i.e. survey the boat.

Surveyors vary greatly in the detail that the go into with regard to rigging, mechanical components and in the other aspects of examing a boat and even in the way that the report their findings. It is important that you really interview the surveyor to get a sense of their background and to have them describe in detail what they are going to do. When in doubt, I have asked to see a survey for a boat of similar complexity to the one I am buying. (Some surveyors will not show you one since they consider each survey as confidential.)

Good luck,
Jeff
Old 07-18-2002
Banned

alohakate1 is on a distinguished road
extent of boat survey

Dear Prussell,

With all the houses I''ve bought, I''ve never been satisfied...with my boat I was deeply disappointed. Your surveyer should be someone you really trust and you should take a look at their process, their checklist, how long they expect to spend, and discuss your expectations.

That said, it generally happens within 6-8 hours and much of the inspections is simply visual.

My advise is to get the best person you can find and work very closely with them. Drive them nuts and ask a million questions. You''ll learn a lot about your new vessel.
Old 07-18-2002

nomoss is on a distinguished road
extent of boat survey

YES!YES!YES!YES!!!!!!
Old 07-19-2002

hamiam is on a distinguished road
extent of boat survey

I will echo the comments above. You need to specify that it is a pre-purchase survey and that you want the guy to find absolutely everthing wrong that he can so you can use it as ammo in your negotiations. I don''t think people take the choice of surveyor seriously enough; I have spent upwards of $30k fixing problems my surveyor missed upon his inspection of the boat. Needless to say I am quite bitter. I would NEVER have bought the boat knowing it needed: a new engine, a new stuffing box on both the rudder shaft and the drive shaft, major fiberglass work, etc. etc. I would strongly suggest that you accompany whomever you choose while he does the survey.

Old 07-19-2002

hamiam is on a distinguished road
extent of boat survey

I will echo the comments above. You need to specify that it is a pre-purchase survey and that you want the guy to find absolutely everthing wrong that he can so you can use it as ammo in your negotiations. I don''t think people take the choice of surveyor seriously enough; I have spent upwards of $30k fixing problems my surveyor missed upon his inspection of the boat. Needless to say I am quite bitter. I would NEVER have bought the boat knowing it needed: a new engine, a new stuffing box on both the rudder shaft and the drive shaft, major fiberglass work, etc. etc. I would strongly suggest that you accompany whomever you choose while he does the survey.