Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2008

amanecer is on a distinguished road
Ghost 13 for single-handed sailing

I am new to sailing and want to buy a sailboat that I can trailer in and set up by myself, and that I can right on my own should I go over. There is a Ghost 13 for sale. Does anyone know if this boat might work for me? I want a big enough boat to take out a couple of friends, but small enough that I can get it off and on the trailer and get the mast and sails up myself. I am a 5'4" gal.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-17-2008

marcusn is on a distinguished road
Ghost 13

Way back when, the first boat I could talk my dad into buying for us (my brother, dad and me) was a Ghost 13.

I have to say, I did NOT like this boat much at all. It is far too tippy feeling for my liking. It's also not too easy to right should you dump. One day my dad (~185lbs) capsized, and stood on the centerboard to right the boat, and the centerboard split down the middle seam!

We used the boat sparingly for 2 years, and upgraded to a much larger Venture 21, and had a ton of fun with that 'budget' oriented boat.

If you're looking at older boats, you may consider looking into various O'Day daysailers. They can easily accomodate a small family, and are fairly stable (to my knowledge).

Best of luck,

Marcus
Old 06-17-2008
Poltergeist

poltergeist is on a distinguished road
Question for you ...

What kind of money would you like to spend? That would help us with other recommendations.

Kurt
Old 06-17-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Also, what are you planning on using as the tow vehicle. That will affect your choices too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-18-2008

Thanks for your help

The owner of the boat also said it was unstable, so I think I will keep looking. There is also a Koralle Jr. for sale in Indy (12 feet), and I have a Mitsubishi Eclipse to tow with, but I may need to get a different car as I haven't been able to find a tow hitch for mine. I haven't seen any O'Days but I will keep looking.
Old 06-18-2008

oh, and money

I forgot to answer about money: well, under $2000. The Koralle Jr is priced at $1300 which seems overpriced in comparison to others I have seen, but there aren't many cheap boats available in Indianapolis. I would have splurged for a slip on our lake and gotten a boat I could leave in the water, but all sites are taken for this year, leaving me with the trailerable dilemna.
Old 06-18-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
IIRC, a mitsubishi eclipse is a two-seater sports car... not exactly a good tow vehicle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanecer View Post
The owner of the boat also said it was unstable, so I think I will keep looking. There is also a Koralle Jr. for sale in Indy (12 feet), and I have a Mitsubishi Eclipse to tow with, but I may need to get a different car as I haven't been able to find a tow hitch for mine. I haven't seen any O'Days but I will keep looking.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-18-2008
*starboard*

merlin2375 will become famous soon enough
At the risk of sounding like a broken record from other threads, are there any clubs you can join where they already own the boats and you can just take them out (and maybe take lessons)? It will get rid of all the hassle of trailering, and maintenance
Old 06-18-2008

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough
The good news is that you should be able to find a nice boat that meets your needs well within your $2000 budget.

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
Old 06-18-2008

Corvair is on a distinguished road
You might want to think about a Siren 17 - tiny microcruiser. It's what I have for my first boat. Tons of fun. You may be able to find an example in your price range but usually they are slightly more with a trailer and outboard.