SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Which boat?

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Jeff_H 
#1 ·
Boat (A) or Boat (B) ??

My husband and I are looking at boats. We’ve found a couple of used boats that we are considering.
My husband has sailed both of these types of boats and likes how they sail.

Boat (A) is 15 years old, very clean & well-maintained. Diesel engine has 4,000+ hours.
This boat comes with new sails, a dinghy, a winter cover, and a wind indicator. The owner will include many other extras that Boat(B) owner does not include.

However, Boat (A) does not have air conditioning. Personally I don’t care how well a boat sails -- I just want air conditioning! (we live in the south) Someone told us we could get one of those portable air conditioners but I think they are only 4000 BTU & I wonder if that’s enough.

Boat (B) is six years old; it appears cleaned & well-maintained; has a bigger engine with 400 hrs.
It doesn’t have a dinghy or winter cover, but it has an electric anchor windlass and it has air conditioning already installed.

Being several years newer, naturally Boat (B) costs more than Boat (A). We could afford either one, but of course it would be very nice to have the lower cost. However, I’m thinking that Boat (A) will need a new engine sooner rather than later. (isn’t 4,000 a lot of hours, no matter how well-maintained the engine is?) And I would want air conditioning added. Does that make sense to get the older boat & then spend yet more money to install a new engine & air conditioning? In the long run, is Boat (A) really less expensive than Boat (B)? On the other hand, Boat (A) has been very well maintained and comes with a lot of other extras that Boat (B) doesn’t have.

Comments / pros / cons ?
Thanks,
Gail

See less See more
#2 ·
I am afraid that you have given not even close to enough information for someone to give you meaningful answer. You need to give year and models and relative asking prices if you expect meaningful responses. I know that seems like you may be tipping your hand to the sellers but there''s just not enough info in your question.

Respectfully,
Jeff

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.