Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2008

LakeEscape is on a distinguished road
C&C27 - This is why you get a survey

I took a C&C27 Mk V to a local yard for survey this morning. The owner and I had a nice passage, pleanty of motor time and some time under sail. Took almost 2 hours to get to the yard, so I also had pleanty of time to look around and to quiz the owner. We got to the yard and got her in the slings, OMG, , blisters the size of footballs, golfballs and marbles. Not just under paint, or gelcoat, but some deep delams also. On the interior, we found serious leakage at the babystay chainplate, the 2 forward bulkheads both had rot at the bottoms and one even had insect damage. Found leaks at two thru hulls and some around the sealed windows. All in all, I felt good we had done the survey, but I felt bad for the owner, because he had taken reasonable care of the obvious stuff on the boat, but had not looked into the dark places where bad things usually happen.

The yard guy estimated around $1K just for the blisters, but in private he agreed that it could be easily double that. My offer to the owner was $5K less than he was asking. He's showing the boat again this weekend. I hope he discloses all that he found out about this morning.

So for all those guys who post a thread asking about whether or not to get a survey, I hope this is a good example why you do it.

LakeEscape
Lake Norman, NC
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-20-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
$1-2K for dealing with the blister problem you describe would be, at best, a bandaid approach to that problem. You can barely get hauled and painted for that, let alone doing a lot of blister "repair".

Sounds to me like this is a pass.... rot in bulkheads and signs of chronic leakage in multiple areas. Even at a 5K discount (against what asking price, btw?) you may spend all that (or more) before you're done.

It would be nice to know how the seller handles the next interested party!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 06-20-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd have to agree with Faster. No way that you can repair those blisters properly for under $5,000.... Definitely should take a pass on this boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-20-2008

Rockter will become famous soon enough
Let me tell you about another survey... Houston 1992.

Pretty boat, looked fine, heavy and seaworthy.
The surveyor said it was reasonable, tapping the decks. A few sprung teak planks, some play in the steering.
The last owner said "the water tank just needs filling".

The surveyor did not fill the water tank.

I bought the boat.

I filled the tank that night. The boat was on the hard.

Next morning we turned on the taps... nothing.

I threw the bilge pump switch... the pump ran and ran. The area around the boat flooded.

With a heavy heart, I took off the water tank inspection hatch. The builder had welded the stainless water tank with non-chrome welding rods.... leaks everywhere.

I talked to the yard manager. "I can fix it but I would have to tear your boat apart. The boat would never be the same. I don't want to do it". The quote... well, no one was really serious about doing it... but the quote was $35,000 to tear out the tank.

I finally got it to hold water in Scotland, 5 years later, after a monumental effort, and it still leaks if you lean the boat. If I have to take it on a long haul, I will need to take a water-maker.

I still own the ship, and it's a good one, and I am keeping it.

This time a survey worked for you, and I am happy it has worked out, but sometimes a survey does not quite catch the obvious, and is perhaps not quite so worthy of the name.

In hindsight I should have filled the tank, but I was very new to the game. Still, you live an learn, and I still have a good ship.

Good luck.

Rockter.

Last edited by Rockter; 06-20-2008 at 07:11 PM.
Old 06-21-2008

Original price was 15.9, I offered nothing more than 11. I'd prolly do most of the work myself, but I haven't finished the boat I bought last year!!!!!!!!!!

This is a terrible addiction. I love it.
LakeEscape

Last edited by LakeEscape; 06-21-2008 at 07:22 AM.
Old 06-21-2008

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
LakeEscape, you noted "deep de-laminations." In order to repair those you need to peal and lay in new fiberglass. Let not your heart be troubled, this was not the boat for you, as the costs of repair would far exceed the reduced price. There will be other boats.
Old 06-21-2008

I knew within 5 minutes of that boat clearing the water that she was not for me. Counted about 15 large blisters. It was the one that was about 18x7 inches that really killed it.

LakeEscape
Old 06-21-2008

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough
That must have been disappointing.

You dodged a bullet.... actually a slow-moving boulder

Good luck on your next try.

David

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
Old 06-21-2008
'87 Pearson 27'

jackytdunaway is on a distinguished road
Was Tim the yard guy? I have found them to be very reasonable and good honest folks. Still 1K to 2K seams low for blisters like you described.
Old 06-21-2008

Jim H is on a distinguished road
I owned a C&C 27 Mark II and loved it, but I would also pass on the Mark V you described. I had small blisters on mine (size of dime to less than a quarter), which I simply had redone individually on the two-year haul out. The last time cost about $1,300 but repaired around 30 of the little guys. The rest of the hull was fine, or had small ones not worrying about yet. Other times there were only around 12 to do.

The size of blisters you described sound much more serious, unless it was a result of a bad bottom paint job and mostly surface issues. The cost estimate for repair sounds very low, or too low...

If you haven't seen it, the following is the best site about the evolution and strengths/weaknesses of C&C 27s:

Greetings From The C&C27 Association

I was happy to own the Mark II, but I doubt I'd ever go for a Mark V. Here in the UK, basically the same boat was built and sold as the Trapper 500 (but beefier, with diesel instead of gas engines, and rigged for the English Channel).

Good luck!

Aurora, a mighty Cal 20 (Portland, OR)
Southern Rival, a seasoned Rival 34 (Gosport, UK)

Last edited by Jim H; 06-21-2008 at 09:05 AM.