Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2008

janders is on a distinguished road
trucking a boat up from Mexico

Hey all,

We're looking at buying a 40' boat down in San Carlos, MX and having it trucked up to sunny Seattle. Has anyone gone through this experience? As we understand it, you have to switch trucks once in Tucson from a MX truck to a US truck. We're not clear about how insurance works, particularly while our really expensive baby is 12 feet in the air during the transfer.

Any advice from someone who's been there, done that would be huge. Thanks!

Jason
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-20-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
I will never truck a boat again if there is a water route around...Thats all I have to say on the mater..
Old 06-21-2008

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
I will never truck a boat again if there is a water route around...Thats all I have to say on the mater..
Sounds like a good story. Why?
Old 06-21-2008

badsanta is on a distinguished road
Water is the way to go as a thousand miles on the road is hard on a boat.
I had mine moved with only minor breakage that was my fault. I placed an online request and got 6 bids. The guy I chose sent me his photo, driving record and proof of insurance and references that checked out. He then explained to me his route of travel his time table and stops. I left and when I was finishing up lunch I saw him drive by, so I followed him all day. Drove properly and within a reasonable speed. Very professional and very happy. The others were higher and one lower in price but gave me no info and hedged when I asked. This guy was up front with everything. I don’t know how it works with switching movers. I would do a title search on the boat. Any mechanics lean or other go with the boat and not the owner. So if you take over the responsibility of a boat you take over responsibility of the debt. I don’t know how that works from another country, but maybe he left the USA to go to MX and when you get back you may owe someone. Check first imoho.
Old 06-21-2008

cpa2 is on a distinguished road
i shipped a boat over 1200 miles and did not have a problem that was related to the actual hull/deck/keel. But, the mast did get damaged during the trip. I made the mistake of being out of town when the boat was loaded. The mast was not supported properly on the trailer and was damaged. I would ship my boat again if i had to. But, i would be in absolute control over the packing or the spar and would over see the whole operation from start to finish.

Edit:
I would also choose a respected company that has been in the business of yacht transport for many years. Find out who moves the boats for the quality yacht manufacturers.

Last edited by cpa2; 06-21-2008 at 09:57 PM. Reason: added
Old 06-21-2008

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
It took me a solid 3 days to prep my boat for trucking. I could not be there for the actual load. the trucker did sailboat shipping all the time. He still managed to put a few pretty good scratches in the mast. But the real problem was with his tractor. He was putting out soot from the diesel exhaust like crazy and it all went on my boat. all over the hull & deck. I would consider shrink wrapping down to the waterline to protect from this and all other dirt & grime

Can't help on the border crossing but you can bet it will have hangups!
Old 06-22-2008

Dmarina is on a distinguished road
Smile Trucking boat from Mexico to Wa.

Contact "Cal Western Boat Movers" and Bob Freyberg, Jr. can give you all the information you need regarding the move. The Phone is: 619-296-9167 or Fax: 619-593-9836. Good Luck.
Old 06-23-2008

janders is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the help, y'all!
Old 06-24-2008
Partially hydrated Member

sanjuan2R is on a distinguished road
Smile Hauling a boat from Mexico

Why not hire a boat capt. to sail the boat up the Western coast to Seattle? If you could not sail it yourself, due to time commitments, hire it done. It would be cheaper and safer to sail it than to haul it - and with less hassle at the border. There are numerous boat captains in the Puget Sound vicinity at very reasonable rates. Look into it and see for yourself.

Astoria
S/V Doodles
C&C 27