Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2008
Banned

seabreeze_97 is on a distinguished road
Yeah, I have a 32. I do, on rare occasion visit the Bristol Yahoo site. Kinda thought you might be talking about the same black-hulled boat as on the site, but the maroon had me wondering. If you've seen it on the Bristol page, you've probably seen Intrepid as well. Didn't mean to turn this into an expo on the 32, but I couldn't resist my initial remark, facetious as it may have been.

Last edited by seabreeze_97; 06-26-2008 at 03:31 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-26-2008

johnshasteen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdreamspress View Post
I've sailed my Hans Christian 38 for 30 years.Two voyages to Mexico and one 7 year solo circumnavigation doesn't make me any wiser than my fellow sailors, but if I were interested in purchasing a blue water cruising boat I would choose a Westsail 32. And for these reasons:I've sailed on one including a voyage down the west coast of Vancouver Island. I believe a cutter rig offers extra strength to the mast and divides the sail plan into a manageable arrangement. The tiller is less prone to failure than wheel steering. The boat can carry a 100 gallons of fuel and 100 gallons of water plus enough food and supplies to cruise for months on end. The Westsail is comfortable in a sea way, she has a bullet proof hull, she heaves-to well, has a full keel which will ride up and over many hazzards at sea including nets. And finally, any clean Westsail, loaded with equiptment and under 45K is a great buy. 7 years from now she will still be worth 45K (or probably more.)
I agree with you that the Westsail 32 is an outstanding bluewater boat - I sailed extensively on a friends Westsail. The only thing about them is that you must be an accomplished sailor of heavier displacement boats (a Westsail 32 displaces around 20,000 pounds compared to a Bristol 32 that displaces around 11,300) to sail one in light air - I've heard people say they are very slow boats - which isn't true - but for a fairly new sailor, they can be a challenge to sail them well.
s/v Paloma, Bristol 29.9, #141
Slipped in Bahia Marina, easy access to Corpus Christi Bay and the Gulf of Mexico.
Old 06-26-2008
Banned

seabreeze_97 is on a distinguished road
The only thing I don't like about the Westsail 32 is the thought of filling that 100 gallon fuel tank.
Old 08-24-2008

dnice is on a distinguished road
I wouldn't concern myself so much with JeffH's personal opinions. Yes his points are valid, and to be respected. but you have to understand, he is a perfectionist and is only concerned about the 'perfect' or 'ideal' options. The B29.9 is the only boat in its price range (~$15,000) that I would consider for ocean-going, without significant upgrades. JeffH takes issue with IOR era boats, thats fine, its understandable, but that is only one opinion and if you know anybody who is actually out there cruising, ask them, there are plenty of those boats "out there". people like to mention that Webb Chiles went around in an 18' open boat, but rarely does anyone mention the 2 times around in a Stock Ericson 37 and the other time around in an IOR era S&S designed 36 footer. all three of those circumnavs never resulted in any significant design failure. Yes I know Egregious had a cracked hull, but that started before he began his circuit and it held up through the southern ocean and several knockdowns without any further damage.

For you personally, outfitting the boat should not be anywhere near the cost of selling it, buying a new one, then outfitting the new one. Keep your money for the kitty, take the boat you have. period.