SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Tayana V42 questions. (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/4438-tayana-v42-questions.html)

Herbstr 06-25-2002 04:11 AM

Tayana V42 questions.

I am looking at buying a 1988 V42. The specific boat I am looking at has small cracks on either side of the salon just above the shelves and below the port windows.

The current owner said that he was concerned about this when he bought the boat a year ago (he is the second owner) but that the surveyor told him that it was just gelcoat over plywood that was cracking and that it was nothing structural and nothing to worry about.

My question is, of the other 200+ V42''s that are out there, does anyone else have this problem. If so, what do you know about it?

Second question is, can the iron fuel tanks be replaced on this year/model without tearing up cabinets and such? I would be very interested in hearing more about this.

Thanks in advance for any help that one can offer.

alohakate1 07-18-2002 03:16 PM

Tayana V42 questions.

Dear Herbster,

There are so many beautiful proven Tayana''s available, why would you want one with cracks? Buy a great Tayana for 80K to 100K and go!

You should not be thinking about tearing up cabinets, you should be buying cruising guides!

Kate

BuffaloWings 10-03-2002 01:09 PM

Tayana V42 questions.

I own an 83 V42 Centercockpit(Wings). Our
boat had extensive cracking around all the ports (and still does). The reason turned out to be that the holes had been originally cut for the then standard Tayana portlights, but then the order was changed to opening ports (which it still has). The surveyor assured us he had seen this before (Hartoft
from Annapolis, one of the best), and that the cracking was between the filler which had been used to fill the gaps and the inside liner. I was never very comfortable with this, so on our offshore passages we covered them with Lexan panels. A few years ago after about 20,000 miles I was preparing it for what I thought would be a Southern Ocean run, and I had one of the portlights pulled just to see what was really under there. The surveyor was exactly right, the only problem was with the liner/portlight gap, so there was no problem, other than looks. We finally just covered them with a teak frame and foam padding, both to make things look better and to reduce condensation from living aboard here in the winter (Gothenburg, Sweden).

I do know of one much older aft cockpit version (late 70''s) that had some serious structural problems, relating to inadequate roof reinforcement. This I believe was fixed in subsequent models by adding knees, so I suspect the 88 model should not have this problem.

Finally, there is one other possibility that comes to mind. The first time we removed the mast after we bought it, it stuck and the hoist guys actually succeeded in lifting
the entire boat from the water. It probably had not come off for 10 years. Such might well have caused some cracking like you describe in another boat. If you have any doubts, get the meanest, toughest surveyor you can find, set him to work. The cost is worth the peace of mind.

Just as final final note, this is one terrific boat. It is heavy, comfortable, but very fast since you can put on lots of sail. Smartest purchase I ever made :-)