Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2008

MikeAZ is on a distinguished road
Newbie Question

Hello All,
I’m seriously thinking about acquiring a Catalina 30, but after scouring post for a few days I see many different points of view. The worst being if you untie from the dock it will sink.
A bit about myself. I had a Catalina 25 for a few years in the 80's and have quite a bit of time sailing the Channel Islands out of Ventura, Ca. A good place to learn in my opnion considering the radical wind, current and swell changes. I also have several 2 to 3 week trips in the same area driving a commercial fishing boat, so I do know when to run and hide. San Miguel with the Santa Annas is not a pretty place. I also raced an outboard capsuled tunnel boat for a few years, so I do have some time on the water.
I plan on slipping this boat in San Diego for a get away from the Phoenix summers ( floating condo ) but would also like to do some occasional cruising. Is the Cat 30 capable of the Baja Ha Ha? Could I do a trip north for a few weeks?
The 1st time I seen the inside of the 30 was wow look at all of the room. I have a family with a 3 year old daughter and a son?? on the way. I am trading my 35' motorhome so I will be down sizing to the wife and need as much room as possible in my budget.

Thanks for any help and insight

Mike

PS I posted this in the Catalina and should have put it here originally, Sorry
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-24-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
It would help if you said what your budget was.

that said, a Catalina 30 is not a boat I'd take on a Baja HaHa. While it is an okay coastal cruiser, I don't think it is up to the Baja Ha Ha's requirements.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 06-25-2008 at 12:31 AM.
Old 06-25-2008

My buget is I'm trading a motorhome that has no storage cost to a boat that has 500 a month storage cost.
Please tell me why I couldn't do the Baja Ha Ha

Thanks

Mike
Old 06-25-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAZ View Post
My buget is I'm trading a motorhome that has no storage cost to a boat that has 500 a month storage cost.
Please tell me why I couldn't do the Baja Ha Ha

Thanks

Mike
Realize that:

1. SD - has no experience on the Baja as far as what I can tell, nor do I. If you follow the Catalina Owner forums - you'll find that 30's do it regularly - but you must watch weather patterns etc..Especially if sailing and not motoring it..

2. The Baja really isn't that much of a stretch from the location there in southern Cal. If you can do Catalina Island, you can handle going down the Baja... heck its probably less dangerous than driving it (which I have done)...

You only limitations will be Mexican insurance, your ability to stop at places along the route, weather patterns..

Truly - not that much in reality - your not cruising to Hawaii...its down the coast...

Hopefully others with actual experience will speak up - but again google Catalina Owners - they do one or two trips a year down there regularly...

S/V "
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Old 06-25-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'm not saying that you couldn't do the Baja HaHa.

However, the Baja Ha Ha is a trip of 750 miles with most of it a good distance offshore. It isn't coastal cruising and the Catalina 30 is a coastal cruiser, not a bluewater boat.

Most people I know that have sailed a Catalina 30 probably would not pick it for a passage of that length or distance off-shore. The Baja Ha Ha only makes two stops in its 750 mile distance. Of the Baja Ha Ha's 2000-2008, I believe that only five Catalina 30s have made the trip, although six or seven were signed up.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-25-2008

Thanks for the info Jody,
I'm just doing my research and want to understand ALL points of view. If someone tells me yes or no without an explanation it has no merit.
I am really hoping that some C-30 owners will reply, but I'm interested in all thoughts

Thanks Again

Mike
Old 06-25-2008

Sailindog,
Running from San Diego to Cabo is coastal so please tell me what is the problem, besides I'll be slow? I just noticed that you're in the NE so tell me about your trips to Cabo.

Thanks

Mike

Last edited by MikeAZ; 06-25-2008 at 12:46 AM.
Old 06-25-2008
capt'n

sandsailor is on a distinguished road
Smile i've got a santana 27

and i have 6 kids we sail all the time the best part is its trailerable .
its currently in dry storage at lake pleasant for less than $100 a month and its very blue water capable
Old 06-25-2008

Lake Pleasent is great except for June, July and August. I'd much rather be where it's 80 instead of 110
Born and raised in Phx. closing in on 50 years
Old 06-25-2008
capt'n

sandsailor is on a distinguished road
i sail once a month at least all year long.
planned for SD for july 4th but gas prices killed that so we're here for the 4th but I'm still sailing