Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2008

audramund is on a distinguished road
i looked at the msn group and there was a reference to a 35' buccaneer but nothing else. i've run out of places to look.

Thanks for the advice all.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-01-2008

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Ask the question here, I assure you someone will know the answer.

Bayliner Buccaneer Sloops
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-01-2008
Midwest Puddle Pirate

US27inKS has a spectacular aura about US27inKS has a spectacular aura about
The closest thing I've been able to find is this US Yacht 35. US yacht was also built by Bayliner at the same time as the Buccs. The US Yacht models were a much better boat than the Buccs, but still not a bluewater boat.

See if this looks like it.
US Yacht 35 photo - Jeff Gegner photos at pbase.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
John USYacht 27 "Cora Lee"
Old 07-01-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
The US35 was a Bayliner-built version of the Cooper 353 pilothouse boats originally built in BC...as was the US42 a version of the Cooper 416, a different beast entirely from the regular Buccaneer line, and not built by them in '78.

I know they built a few of a large version of the horrid Buccaneers (shoal draft, lotsa windows, boxy things) but I'm not sure that they went as far as 36 feet. I think there was a 32, so maybe this one has davits added.....

Anyhow, lots of people are enjoying sailing their Buccaneers, but by and large those happiest are in the Gary Mull US22/25, the Buccaneer 295/33 (Doug Peterson) which became the US30/33s with some significant deck mods. There was also a US27, and of course Bill Garden's Buccaneer 305. At least these series' had good design pedigrees, though overall build quality is still spotty by all accounts.

For Caribbean Island hopping I think you could do better than this one...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 07-01-2008
Midwest Puddle Pirate

US27inKS has a spectacular aura about US27inKS has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Anyhow, lots of people are enjoying sailing their Buccaneers, but by and large those happiest are in the Gary Mull US22/25, the Buccaneer 295/33 (Doug Peterson) which became the US30/33s with some significant deck mods. There was also a US27, and of course Bill Garden's Buccaneer 305. At least these series' had good design pedigrees, though overall build quality is still spotty by all accounts.
The US27 is also a Doug Peterson design. The US30 looks just like my boat, with a little stretch job. It's funny that many people think that because it's a bayliner, it must be slow. I took a friend out sailing who normally races his J-22. He kept saying "wow, my boat won't go this fast". I was happy to hear that.

Spotty build quality is being kind. Even after years of rebuild (but not redesign) I find that the more I know about boats, the more I see that could have easily been built better on mine. My wife loves the boat and keeps after me to take it to florida for a little while when we retire. I'm not so brave as she is.

John USYacht 27 "Cora Lee"
Old 07-03-2008

audramund is on a distinguished road
The boat turns out to be 32.5'. I' ve heard that bucs are fast, but I'm concerned with seaworthy. I want to travel long distances.
Old 07-04-2008

RXBOT is on a distinguished road
325 model perhaps

If it is ,legnth 32,LOW 28.5, first built 76, 12500#, ballast 3100, SA 469, engine 33 hp volvo. Bill Garden design. Sound about right? Probably more of a condo than a passage maker.Also 10 foot beam.
Old 07-04-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by audramund View Post
The boat turns out to be 32.5'. I' ve heard that bucs are fast, but I'm concerned with seaworthy. I want to travel long distances.
Yeah, sorry, but that model was not one of Bill Gardens most inspired efforts, and certainly not appropriate for long passages in outside waters. And definitely not "fast". The relatively fast Buccs are those by Mull and Peterson - very different designs.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)