Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2008

audramund is on a distinguished road
Bayliner Buccaneer

I'm on the market for a boat and am currently looking at a 36' Bayliner Buc. Can anyone give me any information on this make of boat? Thanks for any and all advice.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-30-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
It would help if you said what kind of sailing you're planning on doing with the boat and what your budget is. Also, I would recommend reading the post in my signature to help you get the most out of your time on sailnet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-30-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Are you sure about the size. I don't recall one that large. Can you provide a link? This brand is notoriously poorly built and sails about the same in many models...but not all. Lots of people still have fun on them and some are decent sailing boats but with the build issues I would never suggest that someone buy one. Read the Bayliner Bucaneer forum under boat types for a wide range of opinions and links to other boats in the brand.
Old 07-01-2008

audramund is on a distinguished road
The current owner of the boat tells me that it is 36' and that it is a buccaneer. I am in no way certain of this. I've been aboard her only once. I am unable to find anything on the interet for that size. I'm also told that it is a 1978 and that Bayliner did not make many of the larger size (larger than 30.5').

As to my plans and my budget:

I do not really have a budget. I'm negotiating to trade a piece of property for the boat. I live on the Gulf Coast (Alabama). I hope to cruise the Gulf and the Carribean.
Old 07-01-2008

RXBOT is on a distinguished road
Yes there is a 36

Hard to believe but 35.75 loa, beam 26, draft min. 2.25. Yes Dog it's a trimaran sail area 821 first built in 74, either plywood or fiberglass. Designed by Lock Crowther from Oz. Built his first boat a tri in 59 while still a teenager. I guess he is quite famous for being a pioneer of multihulls. Dog the OP just wanted some information on a boat not a lecture.
Old 07-01-2008

RXBOT is on a distinguished road
One more thing.

I don't know who the builder was. But they were called buccaneers and there was a 28 and a 33 also.
Old 07-01-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
RXBOt-

It wasn't a lecture... he's asking for advice, but without knowing what kind of sailing he is going to be doing, it is rather difficult to say whether the boat in question is a good fit or not. If he's planning on living aboard and only daysailing, that takes a certain kind of boat.... if he's planning on crossing oceans, it takes a different kind of boat. I generally don't try to give advice without having a bit of context to base it on. It is pretty poor advice if it is given without regard to the context of the situation.

While Crowther may have designed a 36' trimaran called a Buccaneer, I don't believe it was ever made as a production boat, much less by Bayliner. I'd also think that the OP would have mentioned it was a trimaran, since that is a rather distinguishing characteristic, and he hasn't said anything about it being a multihull. Unlike you, I'm trying to give the OP relevant advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXBOT View Post
Hard to believe but 35.75 loa, beam 26, draft min. 2.25. Yes Dog it's a trimaran sail area 821 first built in 74, either plywood or fiberglass. Designed by Lock Crowther from Oz. Built his first boat a tri in 59 while still a teenager. I guess he is quite famous for being a pioneer of multihulls. Dog the OP just wanted some information on a boat not a lecture.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Last edited by sailingdog; 07-01-2008 at 06:07 AM.
Old 07-01-2008

johnshasteen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by audramund View Post
The As to my plans and my budget:
I do not really have a budget. I'm negotiating to trade a piece of property for the boat. I live on the Gulf Coast (Alabama). I hope to cruise the Gulf and the Carribean.
If your plans are as you say they are, do not get a Bayliner - it's not built for extensive offshore cruising - they are nice boats for sailing in bays and lakes and close to shelter in the Gulf. If you get caught in really bad weather - and if you are cruising for extended periods, you will - that is not the boat to be in. I've seen Coast Guard accounts/videos of sailors rescued off of better boats than that in weather not even up to gale force winds and seas.
s/v Paloma, Bristol 29.9, #141
Slipped in Bahia Marina, easy access to Corpus Christi Bay and the Gulf of Mexico.
Old 07-01-2008
Telstar 28

IMHO, you'd be much better off selling the property and using the money from the sale to buy a boat. That will give you much more flexibility in what boats you can buy, since not many are willing to trade boat for property.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 07-01-2008

DBboat is on a distinguished road
Buc

I have a Buc that is 30.5'. I believe that Bayliner did make some larger ones (up to about 33'). I do not know for certain that a 36' was ever produced. There is a msn group dedicated to Bucs that may be able to help.