SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Buying a grampian 30

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  camaraderie 
#1 ·
My girlfriend of several years is moving out and I wasnt invited. So I have decided to follow thru with a dream I have always had. Living aboard.
There are two boats that I am choicing between a 1971 Grampian 30, and a
1980 Hunter 30. Both need some labor. The Hunter needs a motor. I am leaning towards the Grampian due to the fact I dont have to find a motor.
But I think the Hunter would have a higher resale value? Any advice?
And I'm also a painter with 20 years exp in the need of employment.
Anyone need me? I have many references. Your advice is much appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
:) Shad

#2 ·
Getting the boat that is in usable condition is probably a good idea. I would highly recommend you get a survey of the boat before going ahead with purchase.

As for employment, it would help if you said what part of the country you were in... but offering services is against the terms of service, since you're basically advertising in the forum.

#3 ·
Iwasdreaming...welcome aboard. I like the Grampians but you should buy whichever boat passes survey with the least investment required to put in good shape. A Hunter with no motor has a $10-15k disadvantage from the start...probably more than the boat is worth WITH a motor! Depreciation on these older boats is almost a non-issue at this point in time.
Please do take time to read the site rules at the top of each forum so you don't run afoul of the nasty moderators! :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.