Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2009

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Head room and bridge deck clearance...

The eternal compromise. In cats under about 40 feet it is tough to get both. The PDQ 32 and Maldives 32 get by having a sliding roof and hard bimini, but it does not work if the weather is cold. If the slider is closed, there is about 5'3" head room in both, I think. The PDQ 36, being larger, has headroom.

The Gemini solves the problem by lowering the bridge clearance to ~ 4"-6" when loaded. They can slap in harbors and at anchor. And some people love them, because they pack a lot of room in a small package for little $$.

Someone must have mentioned beam: go over ~16' and slips are not generally available.

Consider heating if you have a winter. Some multihulls are designed as though everyone lives in the tropics, or lays up 7 months a year. To live aboard, you need to be able to button-up. You need a real door, not an afterthought.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-18-2009

djeeke is on a distinguished road
Hobart 900 Catamaran

Hi !

Anybody any info / ideas on the Hobart 900 Catamaran ?
I just saw one for sale in France on multisailing.com reference 26630

Thx !
Djeeke

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-20-2009

twinsdad is on a distinguished road
I am seriously looking at a Seawind 1000XL for coastal cruising for my wife and I, and occasionally with our 8 year old twins. Will also do a lot of single handed sailing in Long Island Sound. My mooring space is constrained to 36 feet. Would love any input, both positive and negative on the boat. Thanks
Old 02-21-2009

Selkirk is on a distinguished road
Forgive me for being a purist and a fan of cat boats or "cats", but a catamaran is not a cat boat.
Calling a catamaran a cat is, to me, what calling San Fransisco, "Frisco", is to the residents of that city.
Old 02-21-2009

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Selkirk, you're forgiven, now let us continue to be lazy and call our boats cat's.

Seawinds make excellent boats and liveaboards. I went with my Gemini for several reasons, all design related (vs cost).

Climbing out of the cockpit to go forward, I didn't like the SW, the Gem's more open.
Side decks are narrower on a SW.
I'm really opposed to the twin outboards in wells, they just don't make the amps, and require gas vs diesel.
Beam was too much to ever get a normal slip, and cat slips cost too much on a continuous basis.
The fridge is electric only, and in the master cabin.

Those were my notes from the tour at the boat show.

They (SW) are faster, and IMHO better built than the Gemini's.

BTW, my Gemini has never slapped in harbor - I have no idea where that comes from.
Old 02-21-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
One other point about the Seawinds and other outboard powered catamarans: They will have less flexibility when it comes to re-charging the batteries, adding air conditioning/refrigeration, etc.

There are some other cats in this size range, like the TomCat 30 and MaineCat 30, but I'm not a particularly big fan of either. IMHO, they're fairly overpriced for what they give you and their design does not lend itself to singlehanding without some modification due to the cockpit layout.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-21-2009

Selkirk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
Selkirk, you're forgiven, now let us continue to be lazy and call our boats cat's....
Ok.
But before I go away (and I will) I just want to say that while you may call your catamarans "cats", you will be wrong while doing so.

You can't call a Brigantine a "Brig" because those are two different types of vessel. With similar names.

You can't call a Barquentine a "Barque" because those are two different types of vessel. Similar names.

And a catamaran ain't a cat.
This is a cat

Now I'm done......Hangs head. Shuffles off. Mumbles.
Old 02-21-2009

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
How about a Fisher? Ugly as sin, but a lot of space in a small package.

1978 Catfisher Sailing/Power Catamaran Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Old 02-21-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Actually, that is a cat boat... not a cat. I've never heard them referred to as Cats, unless it was prefixed by a brand or make, like Beetle Cat...

If you say cat by itself, most people will assume catamaran, not cat boat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkirk View Post
Ok.
But before I go away (and I will) I just want to say that while you may call your catamarans "cats", you will be wrong while doing so.

You can't call a Brigantine a "Brig" because those are two different types of vessel. With similar names.

You can't call a Barquentine a "Barque" because those are two different types of vessel. Similar names.

And a catamaran ain't a cat.
This is a cat

Now I'm done......Hangs head. Shuffles off. Mumbles.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-03-2009

djeeke is on a distinguished road
34 ft Prout Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
If you say cat by itself, most people will assume catamaran, not cat boat.
ACK !

Anybody able to tell me something about the Prout Ranger series?

There is a 34 ft ranger for sale at a bargain price, This is what it looks like :

You guys know by now I am planning to see some Iroquois catamaran's, this is obviously a very different boat...
Where did Prout get the 34 ft in the Ranger series, bigger accommodation space ? (we plan to live long periods on the boat so additional space is welcome).

Or does the 34ft Ranger only have longer hulls as it seems the hulls extend far aft? (same as the Iroquois has two sizes, taller one having extended hull at the stern)

Any info you might have is appreciated, as always ;-)

Last edited by djeeke; 03-04-2009 at 04:23 AM. Reason: added pic