Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2009
Iroquois MkII

LookingForCruiser is on a distinguished road
I think I saw you posting on the Iroquois mailing lists... living aboard an Iroquois would be a challenge. More of a weekender kind of boat in my opinion. Some guy did circumnavigate though, and occasionally people cross the Atlantic in them.

It's very confined. You have to stoop over in the salon, it's about 4 and a half feet tall. Not sure how you'd do a separate shower, if that's what you're asking, really isn't much room for that. There's also not much tankage (water, holding, or fuel) in the boat, you'd have to add all that. And that of course adds a lot of weight, and starts to destroy your sailing performance...

Don't get me wrong, I do like the boat. I wouldn't consider it for liveaboard though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-03-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Not familiar with the Prout Ranger series. They weren't very common on this side of the pond. Their Snowgooses are fairly common over here, but not the Ranger. I have been on the Snowgoose, and do like it...but it's a bit bigger than the Ranger.

LookingforCruiser's points about the salon headroom in the Iroquois is a good one, but again it really depends on what your priorities are.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-04-2009

djeeke is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
LookingforCruiser's points about the salon headroom in the Iroquois is a good one, but again it really depends on what your priorities are.
I agree salon headroom might be a showstopper, we'll know more once I visited one with my mrs...
Not sure the Ranger has standing headroom either, I guess we'll plan to go and see that as well in a while... (unless it's sold in the mean time...)

Old 03-07-2009

What about the first series Gemini Catamarans?
Some are some within my budget...
These do have standing headroom I believe but then also a solid foredeck, is this very negative on this boat as I read they still perform quite well...
As usual all feedback is welcome

Old 03-07-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Djeeke—

The major differences between the 3000 series of Geminis and the 105 series of Geminis is the hull shape IIRC. IIRC, the change in the hull shape shifted the center of buoyancy for the hull outboard a slight bit, making the boat more capsize resistant. The solid foredeck is slightly more prone to slamming, but that is just because it is a solid foredeck.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-07-2009

twisty2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by djeeke View Post
What about the first series Gemini Catamarans?
Some are some within my budget...
These do have standing headroom I believe but then also a solid foredeck, is this very negative on this boat as I read they still perform quite well...
As usual all feedback is welcome
The one thing that is making me hesitant from grabbing up a gemini is that you have to look through the cabin to see forward. I'm short and I have been told the plexi eventually weathers making it even more difficult to see.
Old 03-07-2009

twinsdad is on a distinguished road
We took a look at the Gemini and thought the same thing. Had a tough time with the visibility, and the cockpit area felt a little cramped. My daughter felt the inside was also a little cramped. Also didn't have the feeling of sailing. Several people advised me against it, suggesting they don't last as long as other boats. I can't tell you whether that is accurate or not. However, there were also a lot of positives, starting with the price. I thought the stateroom was very comfortable and my wife loved the refrigerator/freezer. The relatively narrow beam is also a plus for slips. I also have to say that the people at Performance were very nice.

We opted to go with the Seawind 1000XL. The biggest drawback is price. Stateroom is not as nice as the Gemini, and the wider beam will prove more difficult obtaining slips and having choices of boat yards for maintenance and winter storage. Nonetheless, we felt it had some key advantages. Seems to be built better, very open feel in combined cockpit/salon, and forward hatches can be open in salon providing more of a sailing feel. The visibility was substantially better than for the Gemini. For a dedicated monohull sailor, it was a very fun sail. Love the idea of sleeping in the salon, making up for the lesser stateroom. The built in BBQ is a nifty feature, especially since we are usually on a mooring. Most importantly, it met with my wife's and kids' approval!!!
Old 03-09-2009
Salty

MSter is on a distinguished road
Take a look at the Victory 35. Although I have never seen one personally, they seem to be well designed and have a wider beam than the Gemini. They seem to have a good reputation and owner reviews. Although, I am not overly excited about the aux power setup as it employs a single, steerable, Sonic Cat Leg Drive.

These "cats" seem to be quite elusive even when just looking for internet pics. I am not sure how that would translate into support but I am sure there are owner groups.

Here's one I found for comparison: Sail Boat in Herrington Harbour North Yacht Yard, Maryland - 2001, Victory, 35 - Used Boats - Boat Classifieds - Buy a Boat - Sell a Boat
Old 03-12-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSter View Post
Take a look at the Victory 35.
Thanks for the hint but any 35 ft will probably be over my budget
30/32 ft might match my budget but no recent build either...

Old 03-12-2009
Back to just the Jon boat

therapy23 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSter View Post
These "cats" seem to be quite elusive even when just looking for internet pics. I am not sure how that would translate into support but I am sure there are owner groups.

Here's one I found for comparison: Sail Boat in Herrington Harbour North Yacht Yard, Maryland - 2001, Victory, 35 - Used Boats - Boat Classifieds - Buy a Boat - Sell a Boat
I have some pics of one I took for someone in Colorado to save him the first trip.
Don't know if the boat is still for sale though.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.