Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2008

dsp4x4 is on a distinguished road
Having trouble deciding which CC to buy

I am newer to sailing and am planning on taking a few years off to sail starting next spring. My tentative route will take me at least down to South America if not all the way across the Pacific. So there will be some blue water passages and sailing in less than stellar mapped/charted areas. Saying that, I am looking for a sturdy boat that is capapble of longer passages but still a comfortable live aboard. I am 6'2" so need a fair amount of room and want to comfortably travel with 4 people on board. I have narrowed my list down and the current top 3 are:

Morgan Out Island 41
Gulfstar 41
Whitby 42

Off these 3 I think the Whitby is the most robust boat, but it costs a little more. My original boat budget was $50k total, boat purchaxe plus upgrades. I am now thinking I may need to go up a little.

Any thoughts or open water experience with these boats?

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-02-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
I'd say your budget needs an upgrade for sure, for that size of boat unless you're looking for a project. And even then, after upgrades and repairs you'll be well over $50K.

The Whitby is a proven offshore design, my sense of the Morgan OI is a Florida/Caribbean island hopper. Stepped aboard a Gulfstar 39 just this past weekend for the first time, nice boat.... but beyond that I don't know details.

Your plans to venture "off the beaten track" puts a premium on self sufficiency and reliability as well as robustness... none of these are ensured on a limited budget or in a "bargain boat".

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 07-02-2008

dsp4x4 is on a distinguished road
I know I will need to do a fair amount of maintenance on the older boats, but I am pretty handy when it comes to mechanical and electrical systems so hopefully I can do most of the work on my own. But I do understand that I will need good rigging, sails, anchors and gear, etc. that will have to be in good condition before starting this trip. I am very comfortable in a budget situation, so not having all the nice amenities of a newer boat are not an issue, which will hopefully keep down my maintenance costs.
Old 07-02-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
You are right about the Whitby being the most robust and you need to spend more to get one in decent shape. Also note that much early production used SCREW fasteners on the hull/deck joint and not bolts which were an option. You want a boat with that option!! The Brewer42 is the same boat but even better. You really need to upgrade your budget about 100% to gt a 40'CC built to world cruise in decent shape and THEN do the work needed. I would never consider THAT morgan or THAT gulfstar for extended blue water.
Old 07-03-2008
Grasshopper

JiffyLube is on a distinguished road
As much as I know that you would like a larger boat, I would suggest that you look at smaller boats in better condition...maybe around 36'. You may be be able to get one closer to your budget, and if it is in pretty fair condition upgrading will be easier on your wallet.
Old 07-03-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Given your fairly limited resources, I would say you should be looking at smaller boats. Getting a boat that is in decent shape is often far less expensive than buying the same boat and getting it into decent shape. Most upgrades, repairs, etc., are far more expensive than you would realize or estimate, especially given your limited experience.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-03-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Problem is finding CC boats that are bluewater in smaller size range. Maybe an old HalbergRassey?
Old 07-03-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Cam-

When you have a limited budget, you can't always get what you want.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-04-2008

Gary M is on a distinguished road
Cc ??

Why is a centre cockpit so important? I must admit I have no experience with them but they have zero appeal to me.

By making that your # 1 priority you are really limiting your choices. Other draw backs that I see are increased windage and poorer access to docks and dinghies etc.

Gary
Old 07-04-2008
moderate?

Gary...I would NEVER buy an aft cockpit again. The benefits (and drawbacks) have been listed in many prior threads. Having owned BOTH types, there is no contest in my mind for live aboard full time cruising. CC boats make up the lions share of FT cruising boats over 40' in the Caribbean. Not saying anything bad about aft cockpit but it WAS one of my no compromise positions when shopping for my present boat.
But CC does not work very well under 40ft. and ANY bluewater 40+ footer is gonna be at least $100+K in decent shape in any configuration.
DSP4x4 either needs a bigger budget or needs to get used to the idea of a smaller non-CC boat...OR needs to forget blue-water and buy a production CC boat and go island hopping instead of crossing oceans.