Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2008

skyellab is on a distinguished road
I can only comment being a actual user and owner of the boat style you are looking at.

I have the bigger keel but see no reason why the smaller keel would effect the performance. It is still ballisted the same, just shorter. The boat is sleek in the water with suprisingly to me very little resistance. It does cruise at a strong fast clip. The sail area is fine for the boat with the furling main. It is a pleasure to put the sails out and bring them in. I would not have any other type of set up now that I used it. Furling jib and main. Reefing is a pleasure and the boat takes a lot before it wants to walk. I have sailed comfortably with just the main in 12 knot winds and covered lots of ground.

I find no reason to question the set up. It just works much better than I would have expected. It is a big boat that travels WELL!!

I just have one word to describe this new Beneteau design. GREAT!!!!!!!

But then I own one and would not own anything else now that I have my Beneteau.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-07-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Dan... I'd feel more comfortable with a boom furler than in-mast but you can figure that out. The shoal draft thing at 5'9" will be fine for the Bahamas. How deep is the rudder compared to the keel. This has been a problem with some past Bene's as you certainly want to be grounding on your keel and not hobby-horsing on your rudder.
Have you looked at the Jeanneau 50ds or does a DS not appeal? I like the aft stateroom better for extended living and without the 45 degree offset.
Old 07-07-2008
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielgoldberg View Post
There's a Left Coast sailor for ya! I can't go with the deep draft on the east coast. Just not practical, and particularly not with the Bahamas in mind. The standard boat has a 5'9" fin, and we're just going to have to deal with that, if we choose this boat.

I am struggling much more with the mast furling issue. My gut reaction is to go with a traditional battened main, but my wife thinks I'm nuts. We don't race, or at least not seriously, so the performance degradation is not all that much of a concern to me (and this boat already is likely to be much faster than anything else we've owned). Likewise, most of the time I'm single handing with three other people on the boat (as my wife tends to our tots). The bigger issue is what to do if the sail jams halfway out? Can't furl it, can't drop it. That's my bigger concern. I've been doing research and asking questions, including of the folks at CW who reviewed the boat and gave it their BOTY award. The sense I'm getting is that furling mains have come a long way and it's not unlike furling jibs - initially, no one wanted them because they were viewed as unreliable, but now they are much better and no one really sails without them (Pardey-types aside). I'm being told by just about everyone who's using them that they work just fine, even in heavy air. Frankly, in Bermuda, there were many many boats with furling mains (not the racers of course, but perhaps even a majority of the cruisers who were there). Our current boat has a furling boom, and I actually love it, but of course, I still get to have a fully battened main with roach, and if in trouble I still can just blow the halyard and drop the sail to the deck.

Surprisingly, to me anyway, a traditional main now is more expensive than the in-mast furling unit. Still more research to do, but it's looking like if we buy just about any new boat, we'll need to address this issue, as they all come with furling mains and they charge you extra to go the other way.
You and I are in the same boat - figuratively that is.

I cannot comment on the original question of the Bene - but I can give some thoughts on the inmast versus traditional on a production boat.

My wife is generally with the kids down below too. That means singlhanding most of the time. I think you are in a very similar position.

On our other boat, (a Catalina 380) we had a traditional main. We enjoy getting out and sailing, but I ran the jib significantly more than the main because it was a bear to raise it and depending on the sea state, generally took two people. However, I really like the performance of the main. On the other hand, I ALWAYS had to go to the mast to drop in a reef. That verged on dangerous depending on the conditions.

My wife REALLY wanted the inmast but I was not convinced - but that is what we have on the 400. You really will lose some power with the in mast. For those used to batteneted mains, it will really be noticed. HOWEVER - I can pull out the main in 20+ effortlessly. I have an electric winch that basically NEVER gets used. When sailing, I am more likely to pull out the main over the jib since it requires less attention when tacking. When I see a storm rolling in, I (by myself) can pull in the main (with no electric winch and 99% of the time with no winch at all).

If you are the type of sailor that does a lot of long distance, I can definitely see where a inmast would be a big negative. Why? Because you often raise it once, set your sails, then off you go for a relatively long time. If you are the type of sailor that will go out for sails by yourself, lots of weekending and singlehanding, I think an inmast will really appeal to you.

I have heard many people say that offshore captains don't like them because they could jam, etc.... but mine has never jammed. HOWEVER - there are tricks to pulling it in that are a bit different from a battened main. Screw it up - and you might jam it. I wonder how many of those captains were REALLY familiar with inmast? My guess is that they treated inmast like a standard main and it is a bit different in how you reef it.

Bottom line - I bet if you get an inmast you will use the main much more becuase "raising it/lowering it" it close to effortless. I went out on mom and pops Tayana 42 and helped them raise the main again. After my arms fell off and being fed a lot of oxygen, it reminded me how much I enjoy the inmast. But it does have its compromises.

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 07-07-2008

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
We just could not get past the aesthetics of the new line of Benies.
We have been on board at couple of different shows and we did not find them to be particularly appealing. I know, beauty is in the mind of the beholder. Some find them to be good looking boats, but they are not for my taste.

The curvy "Cats Eye" ports I just cant get past and the interior is to modern and cold for me. Just an opinion on the looks of the boats nothing more.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 07-07-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
TJK really wants an Amel SuperMaramu.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-07-2008

danielgoldberg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyellab View Post
I can only comment being a actual user and owner of the boat style you are looking at.
Thanks so much for your thoughts. Always good to hear from folks who own the boat. Here's a question for you: does the boat pound in a head sea? We had a Bayfield 36 that we loved, but one problem was that she pounded mercilessly because the hull was so flat forward of the keel. The Bene 49 does not have as flat a hull section as the Bayfield, but it certainly isn't a deep forefoot. What's been your experience in this area? Thanks again.

Old 07-07-2008

danielgoldberg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
How deep is the rudder compared to the keel. This has been a problem with some past Bene's as you certainly want to be grounding on your keel and not hobby-horsing on your rudder.
Have you looked at the Jeanneau 50ds or does a DS not appeal? I like the aft stateroom better for extended living and without the 45 degree offset.
1. Rudder is a fair bit shorter than the keel. I think Beneteau learned their lesson on this one.

2. I would look at the DS's, but the Admiral doesn't like the aesthetic at all. Plus, she's a bit vertically challenged, and I think she would have no chance at all to see what's going on at the bow when she's at the helm, and I could just see her running me down if I fall off the bow while anchoring . . .

As I'm sure every poster on this board knows, these things tend to take on a life of their own. I have a dealer preparing a quote for me now, including one for taking our Freedom in on a trade. We'll see what happens, but I suspect that if the deal is right, and if we like her after a sea trial, we may just do this (yikes!).

Old 07-07-2008

skyellab is on a distinguished road
It is not a flat bottomed boat.
I never really thought about it but from thinking back it just knifes through any big waves I have been in. No pounding. I don't think you would want to take on waves from the side.
Old 07-07-2008
Wannabe Sailing Bum

Vitesse473 is on a distinguished road
Dan - I understand the reservations on the shoal draft. I know the Bene's sold in Texas are all shoal draft. I didn't realize you had that same issue in the Atlantic and Bahamas. As was mentioned, given the relatively deep rudders, I would ask the builder about the hobby horsing probability.

I wouldn't budge on the main. Instead, I'd take that as a negotiation tactic to the salesman. There's no way a standard mast/main should cost more than a furling main. They are just selling what the masses are ordering, and don't want to be bothered by having to shift into a different order and rigging process. Nonsense. Just tell the salesman you'll walk if you don't get it for atleast the same price. I'll bet big bucks he'll cave!

I had Quantum build me a stack pack, which allows you to literally blow off the halyard. The main (assuming in irons) will simply drop right into the bag. It's a great system. Don't worry about hoisting it. That's why you have electric winches

Lastly, again I am not sure of all the differences between the 473 and 49, so i can only comment that mine does not bash. Skyellab would be a better judge of that, as his 46 is likely much more similar than my 473. In any case, here's a pic of my bottom before her last bottom job. (I had the ablative all taken off so I could start anew).
Attached Thumbnails
New Beneteau 49?-img00018.jpg  
Old 07-07-2008

paulk is on a distinguished road
Rather than focus on the results of the B36.7 that did well in their class in one of the calmest Newport-Bermuda Races I've been on, I would suggest carefully following up on what happened to the rudder of the Beneteau 40-something from Annapolis that didn't make it to Newport for the start. IMHO, scantlings on Beneteaux have never been their strong suit.