Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2008

Marcvet is on a distinguished road
HC 33 OR Lord Nelson 35

I've narrowed down my search to 3 boats. 2 are Hans Christian 33's and one is a Lord Nelson 35. They are all equipped nicely, in decent condition and I could be happy with any of them. The question is for one of you that might have owned or sailed one, are there any strong considerations I need to make before deciding?
Thanks
marcvet
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-05-2008

Cruisingdreamspress is on a distinguished road
Assuming price is not a factor, I suggest you purchase the HC 33. Chances are you will enjoy this fine vessel for many years. In the future, however, should you decide to sell her to move up to a larger boat ( or for some other reason ) you will find that prospective buyers will be more attracted to the better known name of Hans Christian. Lord Nelson is a fine boat but most buyers are not familiar with the name. Whether deserving or not, the HC 33 will be easier to sell and more likely to hold its value.
38 feet
S/V Mika Photos on

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Cruisingdreamspress; 07-05-2008 at 01:29 PM.
Old 07-05-2008
Sailor

Plumper is on a distinguished road
There really isn't much difference in the boats but the Lord Nelson looks to have more sail and would probably be better under sail. I would pick based on the actual boats you are looking at. Which is the best value?
Is bound in shallows and in miseries.
Shakespeare, Julius Caesar IV, iii, 217
Old 07-05-2008

fullkeel7 is on a distinguished road
Marcvet, I would agree with Plumber, there isn't a great deal in differences between the HC and LN. You would do yourself proud with either.

With all the trades offs involved, this boat buying business ain't easy. When I thought I had to voyage, these two boats were at the top of my list. I liked the almost 3 extra feet of lwl (IIRC) of the Lord Nelson which with the extra sail the LN carries, it would probably have the speed advantage. The Hans Christian with her cut-away fore foot, would have the docking advantage. In a seaway, IMHO, the LN would more than likely have an easier motion and track better because of the extra weight(around 2k lbs.) and her lack of the cut-away forefoot.

It just goes on and on, for the traditionalist, the interiors of both are spot on. Personally, I would go for the one w/o teak decks, most up to date electronics, the most tankage and newest engine. Bla, bla, bla....just go for the freshest boat and the one that suits your needs. Ya just can't find a better designed, heavy displacement cuiser in this size range than the two you have chosen. Both are more than capable craft. Both are SWEET and SALTY! Just MO.

Bob
Old 07-05-2008

Marcvet is on a distinguished road
Bob,
Thanks!!
marcvet
Old 07-05-2008

sevennations is on a distinguished road
I agree that either boat is a good choice. I am now on my second HC33. If I could've found a LN available, and close by, I would've definitely given serious thought to buying it.
IMHO you should look for an HC with a hull number below 137 or somewhere there abouts. Those were made before they switched yards. Having owned one of that vintage and one of the newer ones, the older one was a better quality boat. The older one had solid decks, the newer one doesn't and I am in the middle of replacing the deck coring and teak. What fun.... There are other slight differences but none worse than the deck issue.
Also might want to check out the HC owners site, lots of good info. If you want to know more, just ask.
Old 12-06-2008

lordnelsonbill is on a distinguished road
I own a lord nelson 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcvet View Post
I've narrowed down my search to 3 boats. 2 are Hans Christian 33's and one is a Lord Nelson 35. They are all equipped nicely, in decent condition and I could be happy with any of them. The question is for one of you that might have owned or sailed one, are there any strong considerations I need to make before deciding?
Thanks
marcvet
Hi there, read your note and have some advice. i have owned and sailed a Lord nelson 35 around the globe for the past 11 years. I can highly recommend this yacht for any type of sailing. As compared to a HC 33, there is no comparison, the LN is larger sails faster and above all does not hobby horse as many HC 33 owners can attest to. the LN is more comparable to a HC 38 with the pullman berth. The lenght and sailing characteristics are more similar buit due to a lighter weight the LN outperforms the HC38 especially in lighter winds. At one point I thought about selling mine but after looking around i cant find anything in the price range to compare in either safety , comfort, sailability, looks and price
let me know how you made out in your search, hope this was helpful
bill
Old 12-06-2008

Rockter will become famous soon enough
I have the Union Polaris 36.
The 36 is a much larger boat than the 33.
I woud not trade it for the 33.
Old 04-12-2010

LNfan is on a distinguished road
I hope to find a Lord Nelson 35 under 85,000!

I understand the last one sold in North America in October 2009 for 85,000
Any leads, please send them my way.