bettyswollocks is on a distinguished road
Well said.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-07-2008

Ilenart is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettyswollocks View Post
Original post deleted and banned
Bettysswollocks your way out of line. Sasha & Cam's post are fine. Plus if the original poster want to jump in let him.

Besides anyone who can't think of a better handle than bettyswollocks should not be calling people names.

Ilenart

Last edited by Ilenart; 07-07-2008 at 09:23 AM.
Old 07-07-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
For the record...I stepped out of the moderator role since I was involved in this "discussion". Decision to temporarily ban was (appropriately I think!) made by the other mods.
Old 07-07-2008

chris_gee is on a distinguished road
The same question was posed yesterday on cruisersforum under a different name but same boat and location.
This is the second time in a week or so that this has happened.
Fair enough if the answer is not forthcoming or the question is so obscure that that is likely. Otherwise people can waste their time attempting to assist when unknown to them the question has been answered elsewhere.
If they choose to answer knowing this then that is up to them. Otherwise to me it seems an abuse of goodwill.
However as it happens I can give a ballpark estimate of painting rigging masts and sails of $96,000 including running rigging. To that you can add a heap of other bits and pieces. Anchors and warp and capstan, dinghy, motor, bilge pumps, flares, radio, chartplotter, freezer, say 11,000. To meet his ultimate intention of blue water cruising, add another 13,000.
Old 07-07-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I actually think Chris's numbers are a bit low. So, if you take his numbers, that's $120,000 in addition to whatever the cost of the unfinished hull is. Then add in the costs of finishing up the build...and you're looking at the better part of a quarter-million dollars now. You can buy an awfully good boat for that kind of money that is in sail it away from the dock condition.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-07-2008
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilenart View Post
Bettysswollocks your way out of line. Sasha & Cam's post are fine. Plus if the original poster want to jump in let him.

Besides anyone who can't think of a better handle than bettyswollocks should not be calling people names.

Ilenart
Why do I always miss the good bits ?

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 07-07-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
living on the wrong side of the planet does that to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Why do I always miss the good bits ?

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-07-2008

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
I was going to post before the thread took is's turn.

I have seen several back yard projects turn out less than desirable results. Boats never hitting the water.

I have seen 1 project that turn out to be exquisite! I asked what was the secret.

I was told that "if you want to do it right, you better like boat building more than you like boating."
Old 07-08-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
I have looked up down and sideways at project boats...I have actually took on two power boat project boats...I never came out ahead on either one of them...and I did not learn any more about the boats that I would have not learned about anyway over the course of ownership...just a crash course every day instead of a slower learning curve...I really like Bubb2's quote...that hits the mark really well..

I always did shoddy work because boating was the goal not working on the boat..Im still a little guilty of that to this day..and thats why I've learned to buck up and pay for some things to be done..my back being the second and final reason...

It awfully easy to delued yourself into thinking..."this one will be different" for any gazillion different reasons...You have to ask your self this one question ..over, and over ,and over...."If its such a good deal why is it still availibal?"

There are always smarter and sharper people then ourselves always looking for good deals to make money on...if its availibal more then a few days chances are it ain't a good deal..

A good deal in my opinion would be what its worth in scrap Iron less the cost of cutting it up and trucking it to the scrap yard and your hourly wage to do it...If you can get it for that it might be worth a risk.

"This ship, oh this blissful ship, but alas ti's true, a hooker has these fine lines too, as cold a heart as rusted steel, will deceive you and spurn your love to entice another fool" ( Yours truly)
Old 07-08-2008
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Of course as you guys have suggested you need to like the doing on land as much as or more than the sailing but there's the rub.....some people do. I've seen it, people who work their buttocks off for years , eventually slow right down, I suspect to put off having to finish and then when the thing hits the water they up and sell it.

Same with houses.

We all have different priorities.

BUT

This fella is talking about buying an unfinished hull, presumably with no interior but some sort of engine and then motoring this tub 1500 nautical miles up the east Australian coast.

You can buy one complete , already in Queensland for AUD100,000 or thereabouts. Might need some work but for heavens sake........

Why on earth must we continue to feed these feckkers, I ask you.

(cos it's fun to bait the Bettyswollocks of this world, that's why. )

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.