Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2008

wingman is on a distinguished road
Cape Dory 26 on Chesapeake?

Looking for advice about buying a CD26 for use on the Chesapeake. Size, price, etc., is about right for family of three for day sailing, weekend cruises, occasional longer trips. But, concerned about performance.

Any advice, experience regarding light-wind performance, would be helpful, ie, is it a mistake to buy one for the Chesapeake....

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-06-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
While I love Cape Dory's and would have one high on my list for crossing oceans in safety...there are far better boats for the Chesapeake. You need a boat that will move in light air.
Old 07-06-2008

fullkeel7 is on a distinguished road
Hey Wingman,

Cam's right, for the performance orientated sailor the CD 26 probably isn't the best choice. All CD's are of the full keel type, with the exception of the Intrepid models, and therefore too much wetted surface to fit into the performance category. But I doooo like a full keel!

I owned a sweet little Typhoon and have sailed on a 28 and 30 footer. When things get snotty, I'll take a CD over a performance boat! Then again I'm in no hurry....ever. You can't beat a CD's motion in a seaway or in a chop for that matter. And if attentive, the CD's can move well in light air as well.

Interiors are simple, very functional and the craftsmanship top notch. With a family of 3, the 26 footer sounds a little tight to me. The outboard well model has a little more room for STUFF but I like the diesel model for the control in a seaway(no cavitation). There's those darned trade-offs!

If your looking for performance, I'd look elsewhere. But for a nice little solid family cuiser, you would be hard pressed to find better one than the CD 26, IMHO. Good luck with the search.

Bob
Old 07-07-2008

Thanks Cam and Bob,

You're confirming some things for me. I'm definitely torn though, because I'm not looking for racing performance and I really like how solid the CD is and the full keel. But I'm planning on the Chesapeake and not Naragansat Bay; I've spent a few light-wind days out there in August and if you really can't get her to move and you have to be a stinkpot all day, then it's no fun, particularly for the crew.

--Wingman
Old 07-07-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Fullkeel... someday I will get me a Typhoon too! I'm sure it has all kinds of faults but to me the design is simply perfection. I don't think there is a prettier boat ever designed! Anyway...my comments on getting a lighter air boat were not based on any racing or get there quicker rationale...the summer winds in the Chessie are just so light that sailing at all becomes an impossibility with boats like a CD. In most other areas...the CD would be an obvious choice. BTW...have you checked out the RobinHood36 which is still being custom built in Maine and is the original CD36 appropriately updated?
Great boat to lust after!
Robinhood 36 Bluewater Cruiser - Robinhood Marine Center, Maine Yacht Builder
Old 07-07-2008

Funny name but you are right, the Robinhood36 is a beauty worth lusting after. Maybe the kid will get a full scholarship somewhere and we can "re-allocate" the college fund....

The brokerage there has a bunch of Alberg designs listed for sale, including a very nice looking 30' CD cutter.