SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Buying Boat in CT to Coastal Cruise for 1 Year (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/44771-buying-boat-ct-coastal-cruise-1-year.html)

lazydays914 07-07-2008 03:18 PM

Buying Boat in CT to Coastal Cruise for 1 Year

Planning to begin a one year coastal cruise of the Eastern U.S. ten months from now. My husband and 2 dogs will be coming along. Thinking about the Catalina 30, Tartan 34, and Allied 32. Is a broker necessary? I found 11 boats that I'd like to look at all in CT on yachtworld.com. I'm currently a 2 hour flight from CT and would like to see these boats all in one weekend. Then if I like one, work on getting a survey done which I could fly back for. Can anyone recommend a surveyor in CT?

JT1019 07-07-2008 03:26 PM

Kevin Clarke at Rhode Island Marine Survey - Yacht and Boat Survey Services in Newport RI Kevin is the best I have ever worked with. I’m sure he will come down from Newport to help you.

On another note, I have an Irwin 30’ for sale in Deep River CT if you are interested!

camaraderie 07-07-2008 09:17 PM

Why must you BUY the boat in CT? Newport has far more for sale and is reasonably close. For a couple with dogs a year is a long time. I'd go for the most interior room possible with the most live aboard amenities within your budget as seaworthiness is not a particular concern given your plans. I'd be looking at entry level production boats in good shape rather than more upscale brands. A good engine is a MUST for the ICW so be sure to get a separate engine survey or have a good diesel mechanic ride along on the sea trial and put her to the test.

paulk 07-07-2008 10:29 PM

Having a broker isn't required, but will make seeing an assortment of available boats easier and more efficient to arrange for you. Since the seller pays the broker, you might as well take advantage of one (or more). Cam is right about interior space. Of the models you mention, the Catalina feels (to me) to offer the most room. You should also be able to pick one up at a reasonable cost now and sell it easily again when that time comes. Other, fancier (though perhaps better built) boats will be more expensive and slower to sell later because of their higher prices.

sailingfool 07-07-2008 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lazydays914 (Post 337942)
Planning to begin a one year coastal cruise of the Eastern U.S. ten months from now. My husband and 2 dogs will be coming along. ....I found 11 boats that I'd like to look at all in CT on yachtworld.com. I'm currently a 2 hour flight from CT and would like to see these boats all in one weekend. Then if I like one, work on getting a survey done which I could fly back for. Can anyone recommend a surveyor in CT?

Yes..a broker is necessary ...all boats on yachtworld are listed by brokers...so one is necessary, and you will end up paying for him or her.

Since you are paying...get some benefit out of the cost and make use of a broker. If you actaully look at 11 boats, I'll bet that half of them will be so trashy that at first glance you'll just turn ands leave. Why waste your time looking at trash, and trusting that you will actually find the couple of good ones worth looking at? Why only Catalina, how about a Sabre or Beneteau? Ever see a CS 30? Maybe 30 is too small, although the C30 has more room than the other two larger boats..

Lots of boats and lots of questions. Use a broker to sort them all out for you. Ask the forum here for a broker recommendation in central CT. Call the broker and over several conversations, explain what you want and why. listen to his/her advice. Have them send you listings of what they think are good choices, respond to the choices, ask more questions. Eventually the borker will help you determine what boats will work for you, and he will find good examples of those boats...that means seeing at them himself before you do, or his relying on the opinions of contacts he knows. You can't phsically look at 11 boats in a weekend, won't happen. When you fly out, "your" broker should have showings set up for 4-6 boats that he vouches will all be worth your time. He'll have an itinerary planned that will work, and more likely than not may drive you to all the appointments. You will have a good chance of seeing several boats that you will like, and have to choose between attractive choices. When you buy, you'll pay no more for having "used" the broker, than for having done all the footwork and time wasting on your own. If you just want an advanture and have a lot of time, patience, and money, try to do it your self. If you just want to buy a good boat with only the usual amount of hassel, work through a broker.

This is my voic eof expereince, I did my last baot search on my own, travelling between CT and ME, looking at probably 30 boats, what a waste of time and energy, never again.

BarryL 07-07-2008 10:58 PM

Boat Buying

Hello,

Have you spoken to any of the brokers yet? What dealers have the listings? How many boats have you looked at? I don't mean to insult you, but if you have been looking you will know that many of the boats listed are just junk. Many brokers don't know anything about the boats they represent. Unless you like to waste time, don't fly into CT until you get a lot more info on the boats.

Anyway, I can recommend Tim Mariner (his real name) at McMichael Yacht Brokers:
McMichael Yacht Brokers LTD. (Mamaroneck, NY)
they are in Mamaroneck NY, close to CT.

and

Warren Trafton at Sailing Yachts Rhode Island
Sailing Yachts - Rhode Island, Warren Trafton (Lafayette Village, RI)

check out the web sites, then give them a call.

They are both good guys.

Good luck,
Barry

sailingfool 07-07-2008 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryL (Post 338184)
Hello,

Warren Trafton at Sailing Yachts Rhode Island
Sailing Yachts - Rhode Island, Warren Trafton (Lafayette Village, RI)

check out the web sites, then give them a call.

They are boat good guys.

Good luck,
Barry

Barry,

I'll second the recommendation for Warrent Trafton, he is a very knowledgeable and agreeable guy. And I bet there are as many boats in the few miles of RI than in the two hundred miles of CT. Plus I would expect Warren to have a good handle as to what is available in CT and in MA.

Another issue for buying a boat in CT is to have a plan to avoid the 6% sales/use tax. If you buy a boat through a CT broker, and its in CT, he may be required to collect the tax at closing, which you can then try to get back...the nice thing about RI is no sales/'use tax to work on evading...

PS, if you plan to keep the boat in any state except RI for 90-180 days, you may need to pay that state's sales/use tax...something you don't want to have to do!

lazydays914 07-08-2008 09:31 AM

Thanks for all the feedback. How long have we been looking? Always, but we bought our first boat from my uncle so there was no need for all this research and a survey.

Being that we only sail occasionally where we live now - thought it would be best to get our bearings again in a familiar spot. However, RI is so close and does seem to have a lot of choices. We'll contact someone there to help us out.

As for the boat, we must have good headroom (husband 6'1"), a diesel engine with preferably few hours, and a head. Things we would like are a two burner stove with an oven, good access to diesel engine all around, storage, sufficient ventilation, and an ice box. We're not interested in amenities like television, internet, stereo, microwave, etc. We just want a solid, comfy, good-looking boat that we can add things to if necessary like solar panels, bimini, dodger, lifelines, etc.

Any other boat suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We've been referencing John Kretschmer's Used Boat books so far.