SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   hunter 460 vs. 466 (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/44808-hunter-460-vs-466-a.html)

stoomy 07-08-2008 05:22 PM

hunter 460 vs. 466

Hi All,
I'm considering buying a used hunter 460 or 466. Some of the 460s seem listed at very reasonable prices. Can anyone point out key differences between the boats?

Thanks in advance,
~Stoomy

chucklesR 07-08-2008 05:28 PM

um, age, one design is older than the other which accounts for a value difference

sailingdog 07-08-2008 05:53 PM

It would help if you said what you were looking to do with said boat. Chuckles has pretty much nailed the major reason for the price difference, but if you're looking for a boat to cross oceans, you might want to consider other boats as well. The reputation of the Hunters, especially older ones, as ocean crossing boats is not stellar.

It would also help to say what your budget is, since any boat can be had at a low price, but the ones that sell at the low-end of their price market are usually selling there for a reason, and generally getting them back in reasonable shape is more expensive than buying one in good condition to start with.

stoomy 07-08-2008 08:22 PM

more info

Thanks for the replies.
Yes, I am thinking about using the boat to cross oceans.
I have chartered modern Hunters in various sizes and have liked what I've seen. My basis for comparison is quite limited....Catalina. I've chartered both new and older Catalinas. My opinion of Catalina is that the newer ones compare poorly to their elder sisters.
I realize the 460 is older than the 466 and would account for most of the price difference, but I was mainly wondering if there are any really significant design differences. I am considering this model because apparently I can get a 46' boat for 150K-$170K that is only 5 years old. If anyone thinks this is just a really stupid boat for passage making, please let me know why.

Thanks again and Fair Winds,
~Stoomy

T37Chef 07-08-2008 08:36 PM

I am no expert on boat design and build, but before you buy the Hunter 460/466, just look at something like the linked boats below, if your going to cross an ocean. You could probably get them closer to 100,000 and use the $50,000 left over to upgrade/replace anything that's needed. Of course if newer is what your looking for rather than build quaility...?

1982 Hans Christian 43T Cutter Boat For Sale

or this:

1979 Hinckley Bermuda 40 MK III Yawl Boat For Sale

sailingdog 07-08-2008 08:43 PM

T37Chef makes a good point... for what you're wanting to do, the two boats he has pointed out would probably be much better choices.

I am a bit curious as to what your skills and background as a sailor are, and whether you'll be singlehanding this boat.

camaraderie 07-08-2008 09:06 PM

Stoomy...about 15 owner reviews here:
Hunter 460 owner reviews
They all seem to like the boat and use it for its intended purpose which is coastal and bay cruising.

stoomy 07-09-2008 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailingdog (Post 338792)
T37Chef makes a good point... for what you're wanting to do, the two boats he has pointed out would probably be much better choices.

I am a bit curious as to what your skills and background as a sailor are, and whether you'll be singlehanding this boat.

I've chartered boats from 33-40 ft about a dozen times and have taken ASA 101-106 courses. I have extensive experience on Day Sailors, including teaching. I don't plan on single handing the boat, but the ability to do so would be nice (my fiance' would be with me most of the time),

stoomy 07-09-2008 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T37Chef (Post 338788)
I am no expert on boat design and build, but before you buy the Hunter 460/466, just look at something like the linked boats below, if your going to cross an ocean. You could probably get them closer to 100,000 and use the $50,000 left over to upgrade/replace anything that's needed. Of course if newer is what your looking for rather than build quaility...?

1982 Hans Christian 43T Cutter Boat For Sale

or this:

1979 Hinckley Bermuda 40 MK III Yawl Boat For Sale

Thanks T37Chef, those are all good suggestions. I'm not stuck on getting a new/newer boat. In fact, I really like the look/layout of the Hardin 45. Which can be found on yachtworld for $100K-$200K Does anyone have thoughts on how the Hardin compares to the Hans Christian?

sailingdog 07-09-2008 06:54 AM

the only reason i ask is that most couples that go cruising do need to have either person capable of single-handing the boat. there will be many times when cruising as a couple that you will effectively be singlehanding the boat.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stoomy (Post 338936)
I've chartered boats from 33-40 ft about a dozen times and have taken ASA 101-106 courses. I have extensive experience on Day Sailors, including teaching. I don't plan on single handing the boat, but the ability to do so would be nice (my fiance' would be with me most of the time),