Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2008

stoomy is on a distinguished road
hunter 460 vs. 466

Hi All,
I'm considering buying a used hunter 460 or 466. Some of the 460s seem listed at very reasonable prices. Can anyone point out key differences between the boats?

Thanks in advance,
~Stoomy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-08-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
um, age, one design is older than the other which accounts for a value difference
Old 07-08-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
It would help if you said what you were looking to do with said boat. Chuckles has pretty much nailed the major reason for the price difference, but if you're looking for a boat to cross oceans, you might want to consider other boats as well. The reputation of the Hunters, especially older ones, as ocean crossing boats is not stellar.

It would also help to say what your budget is, since any boat can be had at a low price, but the ones that sell at the low-end of their price market are usually selling there for a reason, and generally getting them back in reasonable shape is more expensive than buying one in good condition to start with.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-08-2008

more info

Thanks for the replies.
Yes, I am thinking about using the boat to cross oceans.
I have chartered modern Hunters in various sizes and have liked what I've seen. My basis for comparison is quite limited....Catalina. I've chartered both new and older Catalinas. My opinion of Catalina is that the newer ones compare poorly to their elder sisters.
I realize the 460 is older than the 466 and would account for most of the price difference, but I was mainly wondering if there are any really significant design differences. I am considering this model because apparently I can get a 46' boat for 150K-$170K that is only 5 years old. If anyone thinks this is just a really stupid boat for passage making, please let me know why.

Thanks again and Fair Winds,
~Stoomy
Old 07-08-2008

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
I am no expert on boat design and build, but before you buy the Hunter 460/466, just look at something like the linked boats below, if your going to cross an ocean. You could probably get them closer to 100,000 and use the $50,000 left over to upgrade/replace anything that's needed. Of course if newer is what your looking for rather than build quaility...?

1982 Hans Christian 43T Cutter Boat For Sale

or this:

1979 Hinckley Bermuda 40 MK III Yawl Boat For Sale

1982 Tartan 37 CB - Hull #358

Old 07-08-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
T37Chef makes a good point... for what you're wanting to do, the two boats he has pointed out would probably be much better choices.

I am a bit curious as to what your skills and background as a sailor are, and whether you'll be singlehanding this boat.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 07-08-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Stoomy...about 15 owner reviews here:
Hunter 460 owner reviews
They all seem to like the boat and use it for its intended purpose which is coastal and bay cruising.
Old 07-09-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
T37Chef makes a good point... for what you're wanting to do, the two boats he has pointed out would probably be much better choices.

I am a bit curious as to what your skills and background as a sailor are, and whether you'll be singlehanding this boat.
I've chartered boats from 33-40 ft about a dozen times and have taken ASA 101-106 courses. I have extensive experience on Day Sailors, including teaching. I don't plan on single handing the boat, but the ability to do so would be nice (my fiance' would be with me most of the time),
Old 07-09-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
I am no expert on boat design and build, but before you buy the Hunter 460/466, just look at something like the linked boats below, if your going to cross an ocean. You could probably get them closer to 100,000 and use the $50,000 left over to upgrade/replace anything that's needed. Of course if newer is what your looking for rather than build quaility...?

1982 Hans Christian 43T Cutter Boat For Sale

or this:

1979 Hinckley Bermuda 40 MK III Yawl Boat For Sale
Thanks T37Chef, those are all good suggestions. I'm not stuck on getting a new/newer boat. In fact, I really like the look/layout of the Hardin 45. Which can be found on yachtworld for $100K-$200K Does anyone have thoughts on how the Hardin compares to the Hans Christian?
Old 07-09-2008
Telstar 28

the only reason i ask is that most couples that go cruising do need to have either person capable of single-handing the boat. there will be many times when cruising as a couple that you will effectively be singlehanding the boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoomy View Post
I've chartered boats from 33-40 ft about a dozen times and have taken ASA 101-106 courses. I have extensive experience on Day Sailors, including teaching. I don't plan on single handing the boat, but the ability to do so would be nice (my fiance' would be with me most of the time),

Telstar 28
New England

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.