Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2002

Ritchie11 is on a distinguished road
36 to 38 foot boat for The Keys?

I am selling my 30'' boat used on a large inland lake and looking for a 36 to 38 foot boat. This size has the accomadations I want, don''t want bigger as I will occasionlly be single handed. I will be living in the Florida Keys and sailing there and the Caribbean with occassional trips to South America. I plan on spending between $60,000 and $90,000 (depending on upgrades) and do not want a boat older than ''78. I am very interested in the Tartan 37 because of the centerboard (4''2" shoal draft) and quality. Please offer suggestions of other boats that fit my criteria: cost, age, quality, shoal draft, etc. Also, other considerations for a boat in The Keys/Caribbean.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-02-2002

paulk is on a distinguished road

In that size/age/draft range, I''ve been impressed with the Hunter 37 cutter (early 1980''s version) Layout, space and construction details seem decent, without going overboard as if you were trying to sail the Northwest Passage. Tartan''s overall construction reputation is better, but the layout in the T37 seems a bit funky and tight for the relaxed cruising style of the islands. The Sabre 38 of the same vintage has a layout and solid construction that might be worth looking into as well, though I don''t remember what they draw. Sounds like you''re into a fun hunt.
Old 07-03-2002

JohnDrake is on a distinguished road

The Tartan 37 is a very nice boat, but I believe its PHRF is around 177 and thus quite slow. They are not especially spacious down below and have just a qtr berth. Not sure about its offshore performance, though certainly someone here does take theirs out there. Also, Tartans have cored hulls and an older boat could have undetectable problems that would be expensive to repair.

Given your special criteria, $90k budget and desire for a real sea boat with excellent accomodations, I would suggest looking at the Wauquiez Hood 38 - Mark I. You may be able to find a Mark I model (Baltic/swan style companionway) for $90k. These are Ted Hood designed, solidly built boats that are excellent sailors. They are keel/CB designs with a draft of 4''6". Best of all, they are luxurious down below. Truly exceptional accomodations with a private stateroom forward and private aft qtr cabin (which makes a great sea berth). The joinery is beautiful and with a 50% ballast ratio, they are very stable. PHRF of 129. This is the sistership to the Bristol 38.8 and Little Harbor Hood 38.

I got one a few months ago and am just thrilled at the quality of the build and performance of the boat.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-03-2002

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

Here is a quick list of boats that might work for you:

Bristol 38

C&C 37 (Mid 1980''s)
Keel centerboard models.

Dehler 36/37

Farr 38 (Farr 11.6), Farr 37

J37

Morgan 382-385

Pearson 37 (early 1980''s)

Sigma 36

Waiquiez 38

Xboat 119

Jeff
Old 08-02-2002

charbob is on a distinguished road

i,m surprised that my krogen 38 hase''.t been mentioned. 3''1'''' draft board up wide beam interior compares to a 42'' 88m
Old 08-25-2006

harborman is on a distinguished road
I saw J37 on the list of recomended boats. I have owned one for the past 7 years. It is the best sailing boat I have ever owned. Well made and strong. it is for sale in RI. http://www.boatquest.com/Sail/USD/1/...ts_search.aspx
Old 08-25-2006
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Richie,

You might put the Canadian Sailcraft 36T on your list. Many owners have completed offshore passages, the boat can carry loads of stores and gear for extended cruising and still float on her lines, yet at 123 PHRF has a good turn of speed. The PO of our CS 36T completed two trips from New England to Latin Amercia. Most CSes stayed in Canada so they are not too common in the US. See http://www.closereach.com/csoa/ or my Sailnet photo album.

Good luck

PS - my boat is listed on yachtworld.com.