Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2008

AKsailer1983 is on a distinguished road
Question Asking for opinions... (could be dangerous :-p)

Hello,

New to the forum, but returning to my sailing roots. I haven't actually got the budget up just yet but I'm looking at picking up a used sailboat, probably somewhere in the 30' range, and was wondering if people would be willing to share their opinions as to the best makers and/or models to look at.

At the moment, I live in central california, but I'm looking at probably moving back up to the Seattle area as soon as I can.

Thanks,
Ehren
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-11-2008

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Are you going new, or used? what style of cruising? or racing? That is a real loaded question.

I would recomend reading two books, Worlds best sailboats by frenc mate. Granted some, even he admits, will dissagree with his choices, but still, for what he tried to do, they are good reads.

Some will say stay away from Hunters, frankly, most everyone if not all of the folks I know with them, luv them for what they are. I like my Jeanneau, others like Catalina's. Some like Camradarie, likes his Tayana, frankly, it is not my cup o tea for the type of sailing I do, but if in his shoes, it may very well be what I would have choosen............

Get on as many as you can, feel them out, something will show up that you can like, do not worry about my opinion or any one elses. Personally, I like the DEEEEEEEEEEP fin keel racer cruisers, if below 6' of draft, it is too little, hence my Jeanneau at 5.5' is a bit shallow, but for its size, 29.5' it is reasonably deep. New boats, I like teh look of the Dehler 34, X34 or 35, a slightly used Jeanneau Sunfast 35 or 37 would be nice too. But those would be for my use, probably not yours.

Enjoy looking for your new boat.

marty
Old 07-11-2008

AKsailer1983 is on a distinguished road
Sorry, let's see if I can clarify lol.

Most likely going used due to budget constraints. Probably not going to race, was thinking it would be nice to live aboard (it's just me, myself, and I) and maybe go out cruising on weekends with friends and family. I'm also kind of excited since my parents are looking to move back aboard a boat of their own (thus my comment about getting back to my roots).

Eventually I was thinking it might be fun to do some longer distance trips, but I'm also thinking that might want to wait until I get crewing single handed and/or a bigger boat under my belt :-)

E
Old 07-11-2008
Lifetime Sailor

planewood1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to planewood1
Looking for the perfect boat!!!
I echo Marty's advice. Get out on as many as you can and enjoy the search! When you do buy, beware! You will want another, bigger, faster, more roomy one soon enough.
I found that just getting out there is fun. I have owned several, from 12' through 42' (all wooden ones). Loved them all, yet all had faults. If I could, I'd own several different ones to satisfy the different moods and dreams. However, the best one is one you can maintain with your eyes closed, the one you would want under you in any situation, the one you are proud of, and the one that brings you the most fun for your hard earned dollar and sweat.
Keep us posted in your search!
CD
Old 07-12-2008

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
and one the attracts hot chicks...
(if you're into that kind of thing)

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Old 07-12-2008

Rockter will become famous soon enough
For me, the long (or modified full) keel boats have it.
Best money I ever spent.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.