Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2008

Keyne is on a distinguished road
Another - Ideas for new boat thread

So I am looking for a new boat. I have been a proud owner of a 1974 Cape Dory 25 for several years and I am looking to move up to something a little more comfortable and potenially faster.

The CD25 was the first boat we actually owned (sailed in clubs before that) and I have learned a ton about what we wanted in the next boat. Our budget is around $40-$45K, we sail in Boston. Some early contenders include:

J-28 - Not traditional in design but seems to be a great single hander (can sail nicely with just a main sail?), nice interior for our criteria, well built, much faster than a CD25. Downsides include cored hull and wheel steering. Too be honest this seems like the perfect boat for us but I wanted to come up with some other alternatives.

Pacific Seacraft Dana 24 - Obviously very different from the J and is at the top of our price range, but well built, nice interior, I like the traditionalish design, safe. However, performance would be much less than a J-28.

Criteria:

Uses:
- Easy to single hand - I sail most of the time single handed but my wife would like to sail with me more
- We will use her several times a season living aboard on long weekends (Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day) and maybe a week vacation
- No need to go offshore (e.g. not headed to Bermuda yet) but I like a well built boat that wont have issues if things kick up.
- Not planning on racing and to be honest I didnt mind the slower performane of the CD25. She was a nice comfortable easy to sail boat.

Limits:
- Must be Fiberglass construction but exetior wood ok
- I like traditional boats but this is not a must have (see J-28 above)
- Improved light air performance over a CD25
- Not really interested in the Hunter, Catalina, Beneteau range of boats but I could be persuaded
- Would not buy another Cape Dory. I know the CD25D would probably fit the majority of the criteria but I was not impressed with some of the build/design decisions made by Cape Dory (e.g. deck fitting installation, chain plate design, system installation, etc.). On the CD25 I am still worried that the chainplates are not that robust, etc. On the next boat I would prefer that those items be improved from a design and installation perspective.

Criteria for next boat

Standing headroomBimini and Dodger for sun protectionReal head with holding tankGalley with stove and sinkUsable fresh water systemBuilt no earlier than 1980'sNewer sailsDinner table in cabinDiesel inboard engineBattery charge systemNice to havesDinghyAutopilotRadar
110 Volt shore power

Any help would be great.

Thanks

KD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-12-2008

Criteria Edit

Hmmm looks like the copying in from Excel broke the format of the criteria section. That section should read:

Criteria for next boat:

Must haves:
- Standing headroom (I am 6 feet)
- Bimini and Dodger for sun protection
- Real head with holding tank
- Galley with stove and sink
- Usable fresh water system
- Built no earlier than 1980's
- New sails
- Dinning table in cabin
- Diesel inboard engine
- Battery charge system
Nice to haves:
- Dinghy
- Autopilot
- Radar
- 110Volt shore power

Thanks again for any help.

Regards,

KD
Old 07-12-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Assuming the J28 (a rare model, btw) is the one near you in Falmouth it seems to satisfy your must haves quite nicely and fits in your budget range.It would offer much improved performance and accommodation over the CD25.

OTOH with a 45K budget you've got a ton of options in that size range and beyond if you're going back to the '80s. On your list of "must haves" things like dodgers/biminis and new sails may or may not be present, but can always be added and factored into any offers you might make. Odds on getting "NEW" sails will be quite low actually.. but if you get them yourself you can choose the sailmaker and sail type/sizes.

Good luck in your hunt..

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 07-12-2008

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
As Faster said, with your budget and size range you have lots of choices. A mint 28-30 foot racer/cruiser from the 80s would come in below your budget and give you plenty left to replace sails, and do other upgrades. Choices narrow drastically as you look at boats from the 90s as so many companies went out of business (Cal, ODay, Ranger, Pearson, etc.). You could even move up to a 32-34 footer from the 80s though you would have to accept less than mint condition.

Your comment about wheel steering is interesting. I happen to agree that a tiller is preferable to a wheel in boats below 30 foot. Most boat buyers don't share that view. I have my 30-foot Cal 9.2 for sale. It has a tiller which I love. One prospective buyer decided it wasn't for him because he wanted a boat for cruising and believed that meant a wheel. Go figure.
Old 07-12-2008

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
I would say a Bimini is reasonable on a boat that age, but new sails........hmmmmmm..........In fact, the new sails, i would go with fasters thoughts, reasonably new but not worn out, so that you can choose the type of sail. I personally prefer laminates, but a lot prefer dacron sails. So my buying a 20 yr old boat with original dacs, no big deal to me.

A less than 30'ish foot boat with a wheel takes up a lot of cockpit space. My Jeanneau Arcadia, a 30' boat from the mid 80's has a tiller, the only one of 5 in puget sound with a tiller. The others with wheels are a bit cramped. I can take my tiller, raise it up, and tie to the back stay, and have that much more room for folks to sit at the dock etc.

Beneateau has some First series boats that might fit your price range. A bit slower than a J, but per your Ambiance wants, can be nicer to equal with a J boat. Jeanneau has the sunfast series, also a racer cruiser to cruiser racer end of things. the Sun Odysys is more cruiser oriented, same hulls, but the SF version will be a taller mast, deeper keel more SA etc.

Anyway, There is not a right or wrong here, just what you think will work for you. Also 6' of headroom in a 27-30' boat, while doable, it will be 6' to 6'1" at best in most cases. My Arcadia goes from 6' at the bottom of the steps, to 5.5' at the front of the cabin. Wife stands up all around, I'm ducking, my twin 5'16" sons are ducking everywhere!

marty
Old 07-12-2008

I think I may have been too literal in regards to new sails and standing headroom. To clarify, I really mean "newer" sails... overall not looking for a project boat but something that could be used right away with only some small projects. The CD I bought required 150+ hours of restoration; which I really loved at the time givent he amount I paid for the boat but this time I want something new and better overall condition. Also, standing headroom really means not sitting headroom like I had on the CD25 but enough headroom where the average person can stand pretty much upright (at 6 feet I may need to stoop a little but that is better than trying to put pants on in a crouched position -)). Lastly, I do like tillers more than a wheel but if a boat met all the other criteria I could live with the added complexity of a wheel.

In regards to finding a mint 1980's vintage cruiser racer... what specific makes and models would fall into that category? For instance, a lot of the Rangers and Pearsons seem to be pretty worn...

Thanks for all the help.

Last edited by Keyne; 07-12-2008 at 02:49 PM.
Old 07-12-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
It's not so much about the make per se... what you want is to find a pristine example of a boat that fits your needs. Even the Hunters of the '80s are, by and large, not bad coast cruising boats.

You're looking for a seller that was a fastidious owner who looked after things very well, but you'll need to be prepared to pay top dollar range for that make/model if you find it.

Boats by Ranger, Pearson, Sabre, Cal, C&C, CS, and the various french builders are all pretty easy to come by in North America, and with your parameters I'm sure eventually you'll find a fit.

As far as the wheel/tiller debate, I wouldn't make that a deal killer one way or the other, but for cruising I prefer a wheel simply for the wider variety of comfortable steering positions you get with most wheel installs over a tiller.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.