SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   coastal cruiser for me? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/44925-coastal-cruiser-me.html)

chsjohn 07-12-2008 05:51 PM

coastal cruiser for me?

Ok, I'm new to the boards and the only sailing I've ever done was racing Lasers when I was younger. I have spent a lot of time on the water (Licensed Master) running powerboats of various types. Please don't hold that against me!!:D

I've been doing a lot of research and reading. I'd like to find a good all around sort of boat. I live in Charleston, SC.

1. 20k to 40k

2. 27 to 32 feet. Enough room for a family of three to cruise or a group of 6-8 for daysailig. I'm 5'-11", 190lbs and the rest of my crew are pretty small.

3. Part floating condo (the abilty to install a/c for use at the dock would be nice). Cocktails in the slip watching the sun go down.

4. Quality construction. I would think Sabre, Tartan, C&C or CS's would be what I'm looking at?? I think I'm capable of doing just about any maintenance that would be required, but I don't want to spend all my time working instead of sailing.

5. Good motoring abilty (good sized diesel, +4 hp per ton). I'm sure a lot of time will be spent making weekend trips on the ICW.

6. Don't think I'll ever do any real blue water, mostly East coast cruising with maybe a trip over to the Bahamas.

Any suggestions???:)

camaraderie 07-12-2008 06:27 PM

I would not discount the true production boats for your plans as you will get more room for your money than with the more upscale brands and your plans do not require stronger construction. Nothing wrong with your picks, but Catalina Hunter & Beneteau etc. may give you more of what you are looking for within your budget.

BarryL 07-12-2008 09:30 PM

Hello,

There are lots and lots of boats that might work for you. As mentioned, the typical Catalina, Hunter, Beneteau would be fine. For your budget you will be looking at older boats, nothing wrong with that. Some other brands that you should consider are O'day, Newport, S2, Ericson, Cal, Pearson, etc.

With three people you don't really need anything bigger than 30' but the bigger boats do have a lot more room and storage space. You didn't write how long a typical trip would be, but if it's longer than a week, the bigger boat will be a lot more comfortable. My first 'big' boat was a Newport 28. It was great for a night stay for my family of five, but too small for longer than two nights - there was just no room once everyone was in the cabin. My O'day 35' has plenty of space for a week or longer. If you do plan on spending a week or longer on board, some of the creature comforts like pressure hot and cold water, a decent sized head, a shower, good galley, and comfortable bunks become important.

Good luck,
Barry

chsjohn 07-12-2008 11:49 PM

Thanks for the replys.

As far as an older boat goes I actually like some of the classic designs (Pearson, Cape Dory). I think the biggest issues I would want to avoid with an older boat would be related to the keel (encapsulated iron, or how a fin keel is attached). Also would want to avoid any cored hull or deck problems.

seabreeze_97 07-13-2008 12:34 AM

A nice example of a classic older design:
1977 Bristol 32'SLOOP Boat For Sale
No coring in that one. Encapsulated lead, never iron. Naturally, it's not the widest hull out there, but it does have 6ft headroom all the way forward. Heavy displacement and a sweet motion. Built like a tank. If you ever venture out, it'll take that too. My personal favorite, but you should get yourself invited out on different types or at least walk around and look. Newer designs have considerably wider sterns, which afford more elbow room when entertaining. It's all in what you want. It's a great problem to have....all those choices out there.

lsail123 07-13-2008 04:24 AM

boat for you

Buy a J-30

do the research

Best boat for what you want to do.

lsail123 07-13-2008 04:31 AM

boat for you

Oh yeah,
The J-30 will actually sail.
the J-30 will sail like a laser with just the main up, out sail and out point all the other boats suggested. Simple to work on, great resale value and is 11.25 feet wide. I raced mine to Hawaii last year. One survived Fastnet 1979.

Check them out.

lsail123 07-13-2008 04:33 AM

more about J-30

Oh yeah,
the J-30 will sail like a laser with just the main up, out sail and out point all the other boats suggested. Simple to work on, great resale value and is 11.25 feet wide. I raced mine to Hawaii last year. One survived Fastnet 1979.

Check them out.

sailhog 07-13-2008 10:00 AM

I'd suggest an older Catalina 34. They're in your price range, and will do what you want it to do very well. If I recall, there's one for sale in Charleston on Yachtworld.

I'm on HHI. Come on down and say hello when you get your boat!

johnshasteen 07-14-2008 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lsail123 (Post 340679)
Oh yeah,
Check them out.

The only reason that J-boat survived the Force 10 storm in the 79 Fastnet was that it was sailed by a Texan!