Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Umm... you sail one. I was including the Gemini...but rounding to the nearest foot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
Something wrong with a 33.5 ft catamaran
Gemini's are of course, perfect for a family with 2 kids - separate quarters for everyone

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-14-2008
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
In the absence of anything else, perhaps we could get some more wet ***** here.
Old 07-14-2008

RAGTIMEDON is on a distinguished road
Makes a great deal of difference whether the 2 kids are rug rats or teenagers--- Makes a difference if you plan permanance (anticipating those rugrats will become teens) or just a couple years. Also makes a diff if you plan this for cruising or living in a marina. Enclosing the cockpit will increase living space, but is tough to sail. The original question produces more questions than answers!

1980 Endeavour 37 sloop, currently in the Mississippi near St Louis
Old 07-14-2008

helokittylovr is on a distinguished road
thank you for all your info we currently live in champlain ny i would like to summer here and winter where it is warmer from lake champlain i can get to the ocean i would like to also travel and use it often. this would be a perm. move for us at first we would probably live on the hook then find (fopefully) a marina to move to. this will be a headfirst jump to escape 90% of bills i do know that food will go up and if were at marina slip fees and waste fees but it will be a far cry from what we are paying now. the style needs to be more for space so the wife and kids are comfortable also i would like it to be sailable by me and my wife. the kids will become teanagers on the boat but we have a long time to go for that.

thanks for your help

ps. i am very serious about this and will be here for a while
Old 07-14-2008
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by helokittylovr View Post
thank you for all your info we currently live in champlain ny i would like to summer here and winter where it is warmer from lake champlain i can get to the ocean i would like to also travel and use it often. this would be a perm. move for us at first we would probably live on the hook then find (fopefully) a marina to move to. this will be a headfirst jump to escape 90% of bills i do know that food will go up and if were at marina slip fees and waste fees but it will be a far cry from what we are paying now. the style needs to be more for space so the wife and kids are comfortable also i would like it to be sailable by me and my wife. the kids will become teanagers on the boat but we have a long time to go for that.

thanks for your help

price range?

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 07-14-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
With the possible exception of price range I think you'll find a catamaran the best of all worlds. Do not discount the problem of moving from a standard house/appt to a boat; not only in space but in privacy. Two growing kids need it perhaps more so than the parents. You'll want a three cabin boat. Three cabins on a mono hull make them long and therefore more expensive on a ongoing basis.
Old 07-14-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Some monohulls have twin aft cabins, but unless the boat is a bigger one, the two cabins aren't really big enough for liveaboard use IMHO.

Also, at anchor/dock/mooring, unless it is a very calm area, the monohulls can be pretty rolly... which doesn't happen to a catamaran.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-14-2008
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by helokittylovr View Post

thanks for your help

Let's see if I've got this straight. You want to live on the boat full time, keeping on Lake Champlain in the summer and somewhere, presumably oceanic, further south in the winter. You want room to live on it as well as be able to truck it so that you can save money. Oh, and you want to be able to sail it. If I've got this right, the gentlest thing I can say is that this is going to make your present living arrangements look cheap.

From where I'm sitting, your needs would be better met by a houseboat in Tennesee or buying a motor home and towing a small sailboat behind it.

You're not going to be able to just anchor anywhere, or even anywhere convenient, instead of renting a slip, etc... If it was easily done, the Statue Of liberty would be surrounded by anchored boats in the summer which would all decamp for Miami somewhere around October.
Old 07-14-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
kitty,

Listen to Sailaway and read between the lines. He's trying to creatively tell you that you may have more than a few misapprehensions about the feasibility, practicality, and cost of your plan.

Based on what you've described thus far, I honestly think you might be better off in a trawler-style diesel motor boat (yes, blasphemy). The trip back and forth from Champlain to Florida (via the intracoastal waterway) is much more easily accomplished in an efficient motorboat.

Even going that route, don't expect to escape 90% of your bills. You might be able to pair them down a bit -- but not by 90%.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 07-25-2008

helokittylovr is on a distinguished road
sorry everybody my internet got shut off but im back now thank you for the advice i was talking with a guy that is doing the same thing that i want but with 3 tenagers and a small dog and wife [55' mono twin sail.] and i will take 2 months to get from here to florida. so a krimp in my plans. i would love that but the wife wouldnt. i could not find a catamaran that was bigenough.

JohnRPollard i am mostly trying to get a way from gas/diesel and thats why the sail boat

thank you all for your help i will keep searching for something to jump out at me.

price cheep as posable i can work on anything and enjoy the work but with repairs still cheap.