Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2008

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Have you considered one of the newer C&C's, there's a particular 121 I have heard of that might fit the bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-15-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Since Chef is mentioning new boats (granted, tongue in cheek -- I think), have you given any thought to the Beneteau First 36.7 ? I think they have a rating in the somewhere around 80-90 phrf.

Faster did some sailing on one this past winter down in the Carribbean -- and spoke highly of it as a nice, performance-oriented package for club racing and family sailing. The tri-cabin accommodations are good for a family, but the main cabin might be a bit tight.

If I was going to switch gears and mix some racing in, the 36.7 would be near the top of our list; for a flat out racing campaign the smaller 10R would be higher on my list.

For a Beneteau, I like the lines well enough, but then again, you may classify these under the heading "flying wedge sled".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 07-15-2008
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
Why not keep with Tartan and get a 40?

Or...

Here's a nice fit: Hylas 42 (though it's a bit bigger than you may want). I was shocked to see a PHRF of 81.

If that's too big or too much, you could try a Pearson 37.

A Swan 39 meets the PHRF requirement and is just a hair either side of $200k, but good luck finding one in the USA.

Old 07-15-2008

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Just thinking here, aren't the Dehler's supposed to be Racer/Cruiser oriented. I know, they do not meet some of the requirements like "Classic Lines" and I have no idea about how they are marketed in the US, but maybe there are some out there in the Brokerage Market.

There is a 2003 about 200 Miles South of you.
2003 Dehler 34 Boat For Sale

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 07-15-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Dehlers are supposed to be... but I was on Max-on's boat, and it looks really, really slow to me... that might be all the fault of the captain though.

Actually, I like his boat... it's not bad for a monohull and has some neat ideas for hardware and such on it.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-15-2008
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
OK, first for SD- Yes my racing game needs work. However, I'm managing to get my current 35 year old boat around the buoys and in the trophies (club level) most of the time. A faster boat can only help.

C&C might be a good option. Anyone have experience with some of the older ones?

JP- Bene??? Hmmm, I'll look into it. I happen to have a friend that really likes his.....

Cannot go over 40 ft. Our current harbor is moving forward (slowly) at being rebuilt. New sea wall and all new docks. I currently have a 36ft. slip and should be able to move up to a 40' when new marina is done, but won't be enough slips bigger than 40 for me to get one and they are not going to allow you to over-hang at all. Odds of getting a second slip are, well, impossible.

tjk- I would be curious to hear Max-on thoughts on the Dehler???? They are a little bit of the euro wedge sled. I'm adding all suggestions to the "to research list".

Where's Jeff-, I need his review of the NY40?
Old 07-15-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
T34C,

Here are those two Beneteau models I was mentioning:

First 10R -- sporty, with retractable sprit (a la J-Boats decimeter series), but probably too small

First 36.7 -- sporty, conventional spinnaker set-up, and nice tri-cabin layout

I'd be curious to hear Jeff's thoughts on these designs as well. They're both from Farr.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 07-15-2008
1997 Dehler 33

max-on will become famous soon enough
Ok T, on Dehler, and my personal research / comments are limited to boats built in the last 10 years classfied as crusier/racer, racer/cruiser, performance cruiser, etc - something that is fun to day sail, and race, vacation for a weekend or week, have a comfortable and warm interior, and capable of offshore use (as a Bermuda race is always on my mind), Dehler is at the top of the list, followed by X Yachts and Finngulf. I really like these boats, especially to what is offered in design and build by the US companies. Dehler is not a wedge sled but more of a perfoamnce cruiser, with a design that is heavily weighted to sailing being the first priority and accomodation being second, these are sailboats, not dock condos, but are very comfortable boats, and sail like they are on rails.

I have sailed both the 2003 D34 and a 2001 D36, and I have been on the D39; the D36 is a smaller 39 versus a larger 34, has a waterline of most 39 ft boats, and in my opinion just a great boat, both Mechele and I really loved the boat, it has great performance, it will roll a D39 in light air, it is a real sailboat, but is also a comfortable cruiser, as Mechele would say a 'wine and cheese boat you can entertain on". We decided on the D33 as it was just sitting in Chicago, the boat was sailed to the US from Finland and as far as we know the only one here, no one wanted her, the tiller was a deal killer for most and the narrow beam, and as this was our first boat we wanted something smaller than the 36 and I decided on 'older' so I could beef-up my boat ownership skills and not worry with a more used boat. Both the D36 and D39 are well proven in Europe and it is a shame they are not more popular here.

I will send you a PM with my contact info and I can share more specific details if you are interested. Additionally, there is a demo D36 tri-cabin for sale, she is currently moored about 30 min outside Chicago, you should check-out the boat, it is basically new, contact me and I'll give you the details.

Dog, you wait.
Old 07-15-2008

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
On the bene's, the 10R is equal if one will to a J105, the 36.7 is more like a J115. The smaller boat do not have as much room etc for cruising, where as teh two larger ones are much more cruising capable. Locally, ie puget sound, teh 36.7 is mid 70's IIRC. J 105's, 115's, 37's etc are in the 80's to 90's.

"IF" you can find one, a Jeanneau Sunfast 35 is rated at 102, very fast roomy and priced right compared to the others mentioned. There are not too many of them vs the sun odisys versions. The sunfast 37 might also me an option, altho locally, more in the 110-120 range. IRC the 35 is .995-.998, the 37 is 1.03-1.008 or there abouts. PHRF the 37 is rated slower, IRC the 37 is faster. Explain that one to me. The SF35 is a sleeper.

Good luck
marty
Old 07-15-2008
cap'n chronic

cnc33voodoo is on a distinguished road
maybe a little too much racer than cruiser for you but if i was in that market i would be looking at this
1989 C&C 37R Boat For Sale
an old write up.
C&C 37R
there is also a cruiser oriented version the 37+
1989 C&C 37+ Boat For Sale

Last edited by cnc33voodoo; 07-16-2008 at 12:01 AM.