Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Hmm... Dehler's at the top of his list...and he owns one...
Quote:
Originally Posted by max-on View Post
Ok T, on Dehler, and my personal research / comments are limited to boats built in the last 10 years classfied as crusier/racer, racer/cruiser, performance cruiser, etc - something that is fun to day sail, and race, vacation for a weekend or week, have a comfortable and warm interior, and capable of offshore use (as a Bermuda race is always on my mind), Dehler is at the top of the list, followed by X Yachts and Finngulf. I really like these boats, especially to what is offered in design and build by the US companies. Dehler is not a wedge sled but more of a perfoamnce cruiser, with a design that is heavily weighted to sailing being the first priority and accomodation being second, these are sailboats, not dock condos, but are very comfortable boats, and sail like they are on rails.

I have sailed both the 2003 D34 and a 2001 D36, and I have been on the D39; the D36 is a smaller 39 versus a larger 34, has a waterline of most 39 ft boats, and in my opinion just a great boat, both Mechele and I really loved the boat, it has great performance, it will roll a D39 in light air, it is a real sailboat, but is also a comfortable cruiser, as Mechele would say a 'wine and cheese boat you can entertain on". We decided on the D33 as it was just sitting in Chicago, the boat was sailed to the US from Finland and as far as we know the only one here, no one wanted her, the tiller was a deal killer for most and the narrow beam, and as this was our first boat we wanted something smaller than the 36 and I decided on 'older' so I could beef-up my boat ownership skills and not worry with a more used boat. Both the D36 and D39 are well proven in Europe and it is a shame they are not more popular here.

I will send you a PM with my contact info and I can share more specific details if you are interested. Additionally, there is a demo D36 tri-cabin for sale, she is currently moored about 30 min outside Chicago, you should check-out the boat, it is basically new, contact me and I'll give you the details.
What...what'd I do... I'm innnocent... I was framed... yeah, that's it... I was framed by CD... damn him...

Quote:
Dog, you wait.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-16-2008
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
Great ideas guys, keep 'em coming. I like the C&C's alot.

Max- I'll give you a call. I'd like to see the one for sale in Chicago. I will be back in town in a couple weeks.

"Hmm... Dehler's at the top of his list...and he owns one... "

Dog- Thanks for not recommending a Tri-tobea-boat with training wheel!
Old 07-16-2008
Banned

tommyt is on a distinguished road
Not sure how comfortable you want to be, but in your range there are three boats that are very competitive around the bouys, and range from nice camping to comfort.

J 109 is a very nice upgrade to the J105. The 105 is a more stripped out boat, and the 109 a little nicer. Not going to be as comfortable as your current boat.

Bene 36.7 and Bene 40.7 are very nice boats, big class racers, and fast.
Take a look at the times for the Bayview Port Huron to Mac last week. Bayview Yacht Club - sponsored by Interactive Creations and Thomas Hardware
Old 07-16-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
T34C-

I didn't recommend one for you since your sailing skills aren't up to handling one yet. Maybe after a few years on this next boat of yours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by T34C View Post
Great ideas guys, keep 'em coming. I like the C&C's alot.

Max- I'll give you a call. I'd like to see the one for sale in Chicago. I will be back in town in a couple weeks.

"Hmm... Dehler's at the top of his list...and he owns one... "

Dog- Thanks for not recommending a Tri-tobea-boat with training wheel!

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-16-2008

mikehoyt is on a distinguished road
How much crew do you have? That is a limiting factor to boats in that size range when racing.

C&C99 average around 102PHRF is nice inside - requires 7 crew to race. Most of the laregr boats are upwards from there in requirements.

Mike
Old 07-16-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
I'd throw in a catamaran suggestion or two, but I'm a little concerned about what would be suggested back.

Besides, we don't PRHF, we sail.
Old 07-16-2008
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehoyt View Post
How much crew do you have? That is a limiting factor to boats in that size range when racing.

C&C99 average around 102PHRF is nice inside - requires 7 crew to race. Most of the laregr boats are upwards from there in requirements.

Mike
My current club racing is all non-spinnaker so crew size is less of an issue. If I decide to jump into some bigger races with a new boat, shouldn't have much trouble picking up crew. Most of the time we race with 2-3, but requires me to do a lot more running than I would prefer. (It's tough being the main, genny trimmer and the bowman. Some how it used to be easier a few years ago!)
Old 07-16-2008

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
How about a C&C 35 ,,,will have to give a little on the phrf to 127 but makes it up on crusing comfort that a j boat does not have

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 07-17-2008

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
A couple of others that may work, if not mentioned yet.

Farr 1020, supposed to be one of his favorites, and cruised for awhile with his family. There is one of these in our fleet that is pretty nice.

Mumm 36, altho it may be a bit more sparten that you may like.

Marty
Old 07-17-2008

chuck5499 is on a distinguished road
everyone can laugh but take a look at jeanneaus - great cruisers and can make of go of it as they will step out - and the misses will enjoy the cabin and all it has to offer - as we all know if you want the family around the admiral has to be taken care of
just my thoughts
chuck and svsoulmates (jeanneau ds40)
ki4sry
full time cruiser on the hook in deltaville leaving for solomons in am