Join Date: Jul 2002
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
We have an ''81 Catalina 30 and sail in So. California. She''s a great boat! A couple of things to look for:
* Check the deck below the mast for any compression or "dishing." It''s pretty common and not a terribly serious problem unless there are structural cracks in the deck. If so the factory can supply info on the repair -- drop the mast, dig out rotted wood, inject expoxy to fill void.
* Check base of mast at mast step for any aluminum corrosion. "Dust" or minor pitting is pretty common and not a big problem. Watch for any significant pitting (the problem is the alumimum mast sitting against the stainless steel mast step -- galvanic corrosion).
* In cabin, check wood block mast step at very base of mast in bilge. Watch for softness/rot. If needed you can treat with penetrating epoxy to stop rot; but if the wood''s really gone, it has to be replaced.
* Also check cabin top at mast compression post for any sign of cracks, etc.
* Cabin starboard, check alignment of hanging locker doors -- if seriously out of alignment can be a sign that the bulkhead has come adrift from its attachments to the hull. This is potentially a problem as this bulkhead is the attachment of the chainplates to the hull. Check fasteners.
* Make sure shrouds/chainplates have been upgraded from "eye" bolt attachment to "U" bolt attachment on deck.
We''ve had great fun with our C30, hope this works out for you!
Long Beach, CA