Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2008

kai34 is on a distinguished road
dog-
thanks for the idea ill have to look into the southern cross 28 and 30. i assume the 30 would be more desireable.

VA-
yeah i have read that blog. thats what got me very interested in the Triton. The boat just looked so rugged and still has the classic lines.

CAL-
well if i could get either boat that cheap i could put 15-20 to restore it to its former glory. is the Alberg 35 easily single handed?

-kai
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-17-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Kai-

They didn't make a SC 30, but a 28, 31, 35, 37.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-17-2008

kai34 is on a distinguished road
SDog-
Wow i just looked at some picuters of a sc28 and a sc31. They look like very solid bluewater boats. The SC28 looks like it would be in my price range, unless i found a SC31 cheaper. How does the SC28 compair to the Triton and the Alberg30 is size, capabilities, storage space, water tanks?
-kai
Old 07-18-2008

johnshasteen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
I personally wouldn't want to go offshore in either boat. While both are solid boats, my limit would be something 35+ feet, preferably 40+. Your prices seem high for both boats. These are 40 year old boats! I would think either should be available for $10K or less. A very good friend sold his Triton a few years back for $5,500. Figure on spending at least $10K or more to get them up to snuff. Did you consider an Alberg 35? Same pedigree, but closer to the size I would consider a minimum for going offshore.
Strong boats of any size that you like are the right boats to take offshore. Paloma (Bristol 29.9) has been on the Galveston to Vera Cruz and Galveston to Isla Mujeres races (1300 miles round trip each) and has weathered two Force 10 storms in the Gulf of Mexico one for 48 hours and the most recent in March of this year for 36 hours of (according to Coast Guard New Orleans) winds gusting over 60 and 28-30 foot seas. From 50 years of sailing, I assure you, we would have been no better off in a larger boat. Remember, Tanya Ebby (sp?) went around the world in a 26 foot boat.
s/v Paloma, Bristol 29.9, #141
Slipped in Bahia Marina, easy access to Corpus Christi Bay and the Gulf of Mexico.
Old 07-18-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Tania Aebi. the boat, Varuna, was a Contessa 26.

dude, you need better weather planning

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnshasteen View Post
Strong boats of any size that you like are the right boats to take offshore. Paloma (Bristol 29.9) has been on the Galveston to Vera Cruz and Galveston to Isla Mujeres races (1300 miles round trip each) and has weathered two Force 10 storms in the Gulf of Mexico one for 48 hours and the most recent in March of this year for 36 hours of (according to Coast Guard New Orleans) winds gusting over 60 and 28-30 foot seas. From 50 years of sailing, I assure you, we would have been no better off in a larger boat. Remember, Tanya Ebby (sp?) went around the world in a 26 foot boat.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 07-18-2008
Telstar 28

The SC28 is a bit smaller than an Alberg 30 and fairly comparable to the Triton in terms of size. As for capabilities, all three are fairly capable boats, the limiting factor generally being the captain and crew. Many of the Southern Crosses were factory built, owner finished, so their interior plans can vary quite a bit, as can the stowage and tankage. It depends on which particular Southern Cross you're looking at. Two more possible boat swould be the Albin Vega or the Albin Cumulus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai34 View Post
SDog-
Wow i just looked at some picuters of a sc28 and a sc31. They look like very solid bluewater boats. The SC28 looks like it would be in my price range, unless i found a SC31 cheaper. How does the SC28 compair to the Triton and the Alberg30 is size, capabilities, storage space, water tanks?
-kai

Telstar 28
New England

Old 07-18-2008
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by kai34 View Post
SDog-
Wow i just looked at some picuters of a sc28 and a sc31. They look like very solid bluewater boats. ....
I get a kick out of the look like comments, that reflect a perception that pointy ends, high cutaways, short rigs and dysfunctional sailplans are in some way bluewater characteristics...perhaps the subconscious thought is that they aren't good for much else, so they must be good for bluewater.

The PO of my boat related to me that he sailed on a number of other boats before making his bluewater decision. One boat he remembered most vividly was a week on a Westsail 32...the vivid memory was that with the bluff bows, high weight and short rig, the boat could not sail to weather in rough water. Not to dim the dream but looks can be deceiving.
Old 07-18-2008

johnshasteen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Tania Aebi. the boat, Varuna, was a Contessa 26. dude, you need better weather planning
Hey, I wish we did have - the first storm about 15 years ago we were 300 miles into the Galveston to Vera Cruz race when we learned of the fast moving storm and the closest land was back the 300 miles to Galveston which would have been heading directly into the storm - turned out we couldn't outrun in in the 350 miles between us and Vera Cruz. In the storm last March we were about 70 miles from the nearest land when we got the Coast Guard warning, the nearest land would have only taken us into the ICW - which could have been worse - so we tried to run Easterly and get onto the edge of the storm - didn't make it - had to run before the storm and ended up about 185 miles south of our rumb line. I've weathered bigger storms in the Atlantic back in the 60's aboard my dad's old Hinckley B40, but not as bad, because those storms weren't driven by cold fronts, those gales were were driven by lows.
s/v Paloma, Bristol 29.9, #141
Slipped in Bahia Marina, easy access to Corpus Christi Bay and the Gulf of Mexico.
Old 07-18-2008
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
To give you a better idea of what would be involved in your quest, check out Pearson Triton #381 Glissando | Restoring, Maintaining, and Cruising a Plastic Classic on the Coast of Maine

Good luck!

Ed
Old 07-18-2008

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
And while what tanya did was amazing, daddy flew over 3000 miles with new sails, again with engine parts, she went over 3 months without lights or power, (or some such silliness).. what I'm saying is it wasn't all sunshine lollipops and rainbows...

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.